• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Can weed cause Chronic fatigue?

HABS93

In general I've seen lots of articles about CBD oil and little bits of weed to help relieve some of the symptoms of chronic fatigue or mirroring illnesses. My question or the point of this thread is can weed cause this ? I smoked weed for years chronically. I did do MDMA as well but when I quit weed my chronic fatigue symptoms arose. IS this coincidence or something related to weed ? I quit June 15th 2018 .

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
I've read some time ago about the long term adjustments that your brain and body have to make after coming off of marijuana in the book called the Mood Cure.

I think the author mentioned that it causes an imbalance in our neurotransmitters and may contribute to fatigue issues and feelings of apathy/sluggishness/brain fog, etc though I can't remember all the particulars. I'm sorry.

Hopefully someone else here will have more info to help your situation.

jesse's mom

I really do not think that marijuana can cause ME/CFS. I did go through an adjustment time after I quit last year, but I had been smoking for a really long time. I do think that for me it could cause me to feel depressed if I smoked every day. When I stopped when I was younger I would not be able to tell the difference.

From what I can piece together for me; mine started with mono, then remission, then I was in contact with pesticides, got sick again, migraines got more frequent, got better again. Then chicken pox as an adult, then after a few more viral infections over the last 9 years got sicker and sicker.

Last edited:

Wolfcub

I tried weed 2 or 3 times many years ago. Each time it had an utterly disturbing effect on me. I felt literally, desperately ill for about eight hours each time.
Friends laughed at me, and I tried to laugh back through the awful nausea and the creepy sense of separation from my natural harmony.
They said it was because I was scared of losing "control" when getting high.
But I doubt that, as alcohol (oddly) had no bad effects on me, just made me giggly and merry ! :_
But all I know about myself is I don't respond well and never did to certain substances....including most pharmaceuticals and antibiotics. There are a few I can happily tolerate. Some pain killers and alcohol.

However, CBD oil (if it's a really good one) should never get someone "high", as it is minus the THC (? i think that's it) which is the psycho-active substance. But it contains all the medical benefits of hemp.

From that....I wonder if CBD may be helpful for those who have had bad effects from hashish? But that is just a flight of fancy of mine and my own idea. I do not know.

(Forgive me for my lack of scientific knowledge !)

belize44

I recently started using medical marijuana, and had to stop. It made me terribly dehydrated, more foggy than the fibro did, and I also got a sense of depersonalization which was disturbing. Listening to the doc at the dispensary, I tried six different strains over a few months, and finally, after great expense, realized that it wasn't for me. I think some people are "wired" to feel enjoyment and benefit from it, but I am not one of them! I did not get the giggles, it rarely stimulated appetite, and worse, I developed insomnia and vivid dreams when I did manage to doze off.

HABS93

Following Davis' metabolic trap line of research, if pwme have some genetic predisposition to high serotonin levels then MDMA possibly has the potential to cause serotonin syndrome at a lower dose, and possibly kickstart the trap?
@andyguitar I've been trying to find research oh the effects of MDMA . Serotonin syndrome as in a defiency from use ?

HABS93

I recently started using medical marijuana, and had to stop. It made me terribly dehydrated, more foggy than the fibro did, and I also got a sense of depersonalization which was disturbing. Listening to the doc at the dispensary, I tried six different strains over a few months, and finally, after great expense, realized that it wasn't for me. I think some people are "wired" to feel enjoyment and benefit from it, but I am not one of them! I did not get the giggles, it rarely stimulated appetite, and worse, I developed insomnia and vivid dreams when I did manage to doze off.
@belize44 Weed use to create such a euphoric feeling for me. I smoked it everyday for 7 years. I'm learning now the MDMA definitely did some damage but after cessation weed gives me similar effects as you. I would also get this depersonalization feeling. My eyes when I stared and focused on something would feel like they would glitch out every mili second.

jesse's mom

@HABS93 , I do not think my use of MDMA all those years ago actually caused my ME/CFS, but now that I am ill I would not do it again in my state. I am sure it would aggrigave my illness and cause a deep crash, and maybe lower my baseline.

I would be interested in reading the studies that @andyguitar had read too.

HABS93

@HABS93 , I do not think my use of MDMA all those years ago actually caused my ME/CFS, but now that I am ill I would not do it again in my state. I am sure it would aggrigave my illness and cause a deep crash, and maybe lower my baseline.

I would be interested in reading the studies that @andyguitar had read too.
@jesse's mom This is definitely 100%. I can only imagine the affects on your adrenal function from using MDMA. A healthy body needs days to recover nvm a CFS !

jesse's mom

@HABS93 I think you are on the right track, I have seen young people who are treated at early stages of this illness do really well.

Learning to be good to your body at this point is so good!

Your job is very demanding physically, and depending on the staff it can be very stressful. Me learning to pace myself young might have allowed me to stay in remission. Did I learn at first, NO. :bang-head::bang-head:

I wish I had learned my food triggers before I got really sick too.

I think you are wise to be looking for an answer at this point! Good on you:hug:

HABS93

@HABS93 I think you are on the right track, I have seen young people who are treated at early stages of this illness do really well.

Learning to be good to your body at this point is so good!

Your job is very demanding physically, and depending on the staff it can be very stressful. Me learning to pace myself young might have allowed me to stay in remission. Did I learn at first, NO. :bang-head::bang-head:

I wish I had learned my food triggers before I got really sick too.

I think you are wise to be looking for an answer at this point! Good on you:hug:
@jesse's mom Thank you! To be honest it's really nice and to have a community of people who understand. Whenever I finally start to feel better I'm going to use my energy to help others too !

HABS93

What about the Endocannabinoid system? Could it be part of the puzzle in some cases?
@Pendergast i try to research about how the endocannabinoid system works but it's so confusing . I can't smoke weed anymore it causes my eyes to glitch out . So it's my body telling me a sign . How much does weed affect your serotonin levels

percyval577

nucleus caudatus et al
I have heard (I think it was Ben Garside on youtube in one of his several vidoes) that cannabis might affect the system for feeling fine again after the being had severe trouble. This would be said be a good guess, he mentioned. I think that makes sense: feeling relaxed and confident and happy "everything is ok", getting hunger because the being might rebuild its body.

Before I got uncomfortable ill I was still affected a bit (sub-clinical). Here THC could be a nice help, but I did it only about every two years for say two weeks. After I got uncomfortable ill there was no effect anymore. So I would think that a contribution of THC itself to CFS would not be a part.

It might though be thinkable that a sudden stop may have contributed? So presynaptical calclium channels would have gotten suddenly higher, and postsynaptical calcium channels would have gotton suddenly downregulated - what ever that might mean.
But now they are probably normal enough again and I think you would not reverse cfs by smoking again.
I think only this sudden event might have contributed as a part. And it should well be (if so) only a part because otherwise cfs would occure regularly when one suddenly stops smoking weed.

In my own theory this could have contributed to a disruption of synaptical roads in the basal ganglia (this is it, I personally think, and roads in the thalamus). In my case this seems to be exactly the case: In these structures there are metals which are found in chocolate. So eating small amounts of chocolate (not more than 9-36g) helps me, and additional zinc and selenium intake. Under this prerequisite I take vitB1 and vitB2 which would help the mitochindria (NAD and FAD respectively) in the "broken roads". Here I take one or two hours earlier the combo of taurine and gaba (only 250g each) as a guidance, reestablishing the back-foreward-direction (I think this is what has broken down, in favour of the geometrical "short sides"). I think tyrosine could also do. Will see if I will need vitB7, until now it doesn´t look like that! For helping beta-oxidation I take methionine after a protein meal and drink over the day the a lysine water solution putting some cyanocobalamine in as well (this might induce something as well, don´t know what). Both will help building up carnetine.

I just got to have figured that out. I don´t know if this is what - probably in variations - happens in generel, but if, I think it would not be detectable by any research method of today (maybe PET?).

PS: I also would have stopped suddenly.

Last edited:

HABS93

@percyval577 So you think there's a disruption of synaptical roads in the basal gangli ? Were you experiences similar ? Also you just take vitB1 and vitB2 but no B12 at all?