• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Can weed cause Chronic fatigue?

fredam7

Quitting drugs of any kind, does produce a multitude of symptoms . It takes time . Have you been to a dr and diagnosed with CFS or is it more you feel really tired and unwell?

Depression can also set in as well, sleep disturbance , appetite issues. It's a bumpy road .

It's only been about 9 months after years of chronic use . I know some might not like this suggestion , but exercise is rather important when detoxing and adjusting after long term drug use .

Since the onset was after you quit smoking , there is a good chance that you're just adjusting . You're young and will adjust , just give yourself some time and try not to talk yourself into something.

It has taken people 5 years to adjust to discontinuing alcohol abuse . Years after meth. It is a process .

HABS93

Quitting drugs of any kind, does produce a multitude of symptoms . It takes time . Have you been to a dr and diagnosed with CFS or is it more you feel really tired and unwell?

Depression can also set in as well, sleep disturbance , appetite issues. It's a bumpy road .

It's only been about 9 months after years of chronic use . I know some might not like this suggestion , but exercise is rather important when detoxing and adjusting after long term drug use .

Since the onset was after you quit smoking , there is a good chance that you're just adjusting . You're young and will adjust , just give yourself some time and try not to talk yourself into something.

It has taken people 5 years to adjust to discontinuing alcohol abuse . Years after meth. It is a process .
@fredam7 My doctor said it was a generalized anxiety disorder and wanted me on anti depressants ( Lexapro) . My anxiety attacks stopped but it made my fatigue alot worse. So is sopped after two months. My body didn't have any anxiety attacks after tho. So I look at that as progress. My doctor doesn't believe it's chronic fatigue. However I feel every symptom.

I'm very active person. I force myself to go for runs. I'm working up to playing hockey again. My job is dishwashing in a very fast environment and my body is extremely sore after shifts. In the moment when I'm working fast and hard I feel the flow almost and I almost feel semi normal.

The worst symptom is when I try to hangout with some and I'm sitting down my eyes loose focus and I don't feel very relaxed. I struggle somehow like my eyes aren't processing everything . It's hard to figure it out. I appreciate your opinion very much.

andyguitar

Sorry for the late reply, had some technical problems. For the MDMA research you need to put this in your search box nature.com june 2016 MDMA what will come up is "Effect of dextromethorphan on MDMA induced serotonergic abberation" article was published 12 December 2016. Cant get a link for it. If you look at the scans for the baboons who were dosed with just MDMA you will see how long the bad effects last. Good news is it does improve over time. But it's a bad,bad drug.

percyval577

nucleus caudatus et al
Also you just take vitB1 and vitB2 but no B12 at all?
Last year I tried vitB12 subcutane (hydroxycobalmine) and it was a nice effect, but the stiches liked to stay, so I let it bc the effect was rather short. Before that I tried it sublingual (it then was methylcobalamine) but it didn´t do anything. I also took a combo of all vitB´s (here it is cyanocobalamine) but this didn´t do anything as well (probably some of the vitB´s are not good for me).
Now I discovered a vitB12 solution for putting some drops in drinks (cyanocobalamine) and this quite sucks. I don´t know what the original idea was for taking it (and only a few ppl report negative effects, as far as I see). I ever thought it would be a potent nitric oxide scavanger. This is how it feels in my case indeed. It turned out that it´s a good effect with lysine together, I don´t know why though.

The vitB2 and 1 work (espcially) good after eating.
So you think there's a disruption of synaptical roads in the basal gangli ? Were you experiences similar ?
I had the idea maybe already since two years but only last autumn I got the idea to test it. The interpretation serves with good influences.
Also my impression goes along that, though it stays speculative, of course. Especially interesting are metals, I started with chromium (caudatus), and it makes "concentrated". Zinc is high all over the brain but not in thalamus, but there it is differentially accumulated, zinc can make bright and a bit foccused, it is as if there would be two rotations from the outsides to the insides and this wanted to move foreward (which would be lacking in cfs). Nickel has not been shown to be high somewhere, it makes a rotation anticlockwise (so it might be part when being high). Aluminium is high in the spinal cord, it gives an outside movement without rotation, there is a movie where blades can come out of the fingeres (Wolverines?). I tested also silver, can be similar to nickel.
The effects stayed for some weeks quite strong. I took metals that I found in my flat and put them in water, aluminium is dangerous I think (got doubtful on dishes). I felt the need to make the waters even more homeopathic, nevertheless I don´t know if it is safe. I think chocolate serves well, but more than a certain amount will be detrimental for cfs in my experience (so I eat several times a day 9 or 14 or 18 or 36g of it).

Taken together I think it´s acycle Immunesystem-Nerves (esp. basal ganglia and thalamus). So the bad behaviour of the nerves produce their own bad feeding from the immunesystem (high nitric oxide from iNOS in my case). The metabolic issue then might be part of the technique, somehow, otherwise it would have succeeded already/more often succeeded. If my new discovery will carry on and hold the water.

HABS93

Sorry for the late reply, had some technical problems. For the MDMA research you need to put this in your search box nature.com june 2016 MDMA what will come up is "" article was published 12 December 2016. Cant get a link for it. If you look at the scans for the baboons who were dosed with just MDMA you will see how long the bad effects last. Good news is it does improve over time. But it's a bad,bad drug.
@andyguitar That is very scary.
Sorry for the late reply, had some technical problems. For the MDMA research you need to put this in your search box nature.com june 2016 MDMA what will come up is "Effect of dextromethorphan on MDMA induced serotonergic abberation" article was published 12 December 2016. Cant get a link for it. If you look at the scans for the baboons who were dosed with just MDMA you will see how long the bad effects last. Good news is it does improve over time. But it's a bad,bad drug.
@andyguitar I read them but it's very hard to understand. I basically got the affected brain but I'm not sure exactly what it means

fredam7

I'm glad the anxiety resolved . A lot of medications come with problems so it's a tough call but I think short term , some are useful , as in your case.

Your dr is probably right about anxiety . Maybe mj helped with that until you got the eye glitches . It's good they went away when you quit smoking .

I developed eye glitches a year ago but that was when a dr did some damage so I know how unsettling it is when they glitch out like that, it takes a minute to even know what happened or before you remind yourself , that's not normal. It will settle all down so you did the smart thing to back off of the mj.

I think that's awesome you're active and working on getting back into hockey, just take your time .

How is your nutrition? Put a lot of effort into a very good diet , you can get everything from whole food (not the store , just mean real food).

You could always have your labs drawn to check your thyroid , b12 and iron, ferritin and CBC and such . Just to be sure .

Careful with B vitamins . It's true b12 flushes out but no need to go overboard . Some of the other b vitamins can cause nerve problems , just use caution.

Your nervous system is re-calibrating and your emotions are bound to have some trouble when withdrawal and adjustment is going on . Just tell yourself it's part of the process to get to the other side . The only way out is through .

Once you get time under your belt , you'll see what's left. You can try acupuncture , meditation , so many things . Easy on medications and doctors would be my suggestion . That stuff messed a lot of us up

I think with mj, you'll be ok. I know there is the other stuff but believe me , I've known people who were told they have permanent brain damage or wet brain , and with time , they were sharp and productive and those are extreme cases .

Washing dishes is labor and hard work . Maybe working with your hands is good for now but I know it's not easy, on your feet and they keep coming I'm sure. But it's working for now .

You don't have to feel
You need to do everything. Have your routine . Try down activities like reading or listening to music . Maybe avoid caffeine . Sit in the park . Go out in nature

I think it's wise that you shared your story , takes the heaviness out of it . I have a really good feeling you're going to do well. You are brave and honest and making smart choices .

One thing I wish I adhered to better is, avoid chemicals. Things like air refresheners , heavy home cleaners, just eliminate everything toxic . Try those more simple deodorants and toothpaste lines . The less toxins you put on yourself , the better .

Drink
A lot of water . You will be amazed how much avoiding unnatural and toxic things and eating well, can do for you . Make it a new hobby , find farmers markets . You can make lentils .

Avoid high fructose corn syrup , avoid all these things that will wear your body down . That stuff is so toxic . If I smell it for a second , I can't breathe , toxin overload is bad news and I was a healthy person .

Be mindful of what you're around . You're going to do well, you have good intuition and are striving to take care of yourself all the time . Really glad you shared what's going on .

percyval577

nucleus caudatus et al
re dextromethorphan: It´s a known NMDAR blocker. I tried it for my cfs, not too bad. Agmatine is guessed to be an endogenous NMDR resolver (Hilaris, Plietz 2007). In my experience it soon gets out of work, sadly. But it´s said to help for reversing effects of alcoholism.

---
Above I should have said "quite detectable" instead of "quite strong" which though also occured: Especially one time with beer: I put a drop of chromium solution in beer and got very focused, did it a second time, I knew already, now nickel would be good, and the sky above in my head opend and the sun began to shine. I did also a second time a nickel beer. I ended up in drinking 4l, then after only 2h sleep I stood up again and felt completly normal. Not scary but strange. It was in autumn where I ever feel better probably due to melatonine, in spring and summer I can´t drink any alcohol.

I forgot my Vinegar experience. I searched for trace elements in the Accumbens but found acid sensening ion channels, so I put a drop of vinegar in a drink, and indeed this gave me a foreward movement with concentration. Huge amounts of vinegar, a weak acid, will be detected as external and have no effect in my experience. I also tried it with beer, and figured after half an hour out how to do it. My impression was that there started a flow above the caudatus, very strong, in the front it curled up, but foreward, not as expected backwards where the accumbens would be.
It though was a mistake, bc the accumbens is important for addictance, so it should be not wise to stimulate the accumbens with slightly enhanced acidicty when taking a getting high drug. The acid sensening ion channels are guessed (or even shown?) to serve for plasticity, so I would guess one gets more used to drugs.
On the other hand it might be a good idea to take a drop or half a drop when feeling good and getting away from drugs. I would not expect too much but it might be an interesting help.

Last edited:

andyguitar

What the research shows @HABS93 is that the effect of the MDMA in causing brain inflammation lasted for 3 years but did slowly improve. The inflammation was said to be caused by Hydrogen Peroxide which is a waste product created by Serotonin. Our brains do have an enzyme to to get rid of The H Peroxide. That enzyme is stimulated by Co Q10 which can be taken as a supplement. So that might help a bit.

fredam7

Sorry, I somehow read the eye glitches went away .

I have the same problem but I can't pinpoint it . I took neurontin (bad drug), I was injured by a dr, small fiber etc . It's unsettling , I know , it's our eyes and it throws you off pretty bad when they glitc.

Is it getting better at all? Ultimately , it's the nervous system so I think
You have a good chance of it getting right again if you're strict about toxin exposure and give it time and control stress and anxiety

I know it might sound lame and negligible in terms of how much damage it can do , but it can do a lot . Stress can turn manageable illness into total catastrophe. I know this for a fact , extreme stress , sustained , is like nothing else , everything stops healing and everything starts falling apart . I just went through that and am in it.

The more you organize your time and engage , the more you can reduce stress and heal .mAybe consult an opthamologist and neurologist to get opinions.

A lot of people have tried mdma without permanent damage . Please don't get very frightened and increase anxiety.

HABS93

I'm glad the anxiety resolved . A lot of medications come with problems so it's a tough call but I think short term , some are useful , as in your case.

Your dr is probably right about anxiety . Maybe mj helped with that until you got the eye glitches . It's good they went away when you quit smoking .

I developed eye glitches a year ago but that was when a dr did some damage so I know how unsettling it is when they glitch out like that, it takes a minute to even know what happened or before you remind yourself , that's not normal. It will settle all down so you did the smart thing to back off of the mj.

I think that's awesome you're active and working on getting back into hockey, just take your time .

How is your nutrition? Put a lot of effort into a very good diet , you can get everything from whole food (not the store , just mean real food).

You could always have your labs drawn to check your thyroid , b12 and iron, ferritin and CBC and such . Just to be sure .

Careful with B vitamins . It's true b12 flushes out but no need to go overboard . Some of the other b vitamins can cause nerve problems , just use caution.

Your nervous system is re-calibrating and your emotions are bound to have some trouble when withdrawal and adjustment is going on . Just tell yourself it's part of the process to get to the other side . The only way out is through .

Once you get time under your belt , you'll see what's left. You can try acupuncture , meditation , so many things . Easy on medications and doctors would be my suggestion . That stuff messed a lot of us up

I think with mj, you'll be ok. I know there is the other stuff but believe me , I've known people who were told they have permanent brain damage or wet brain , and with time , they were sharp and productive and those are extreme cases .

Washing dishes is labor and hard work . Maybe working with your hands is good for now but I know it's not easy, on your feet and they keep coming I'm sure. But it's working for now .

You don't have to feel
You need to do everything. Have your routine . Try down activities like reading or listening to music . Maybe avoid caffeine . Sit in the park . Go out in nature

I think it's wise that you shared your story , takes the heaviness out of it . I have a really good feeling you're going to do well. You are brave and honest and making smart choices .

One thing I wish I adhered to better is, avoid chemicals. Things like air refresheners , heavy home cleaners, just eliminate everything toxic . Try those more simple deodorants and toothpaste lines . The less toxins you put on yourself , the better .

Drink
A lot of water . You will be amazed how much avoiding unnatural and toxic things and eating well, can do for you . Make it a new hobby , find farmers markets . You can make lentils .

Avoid high fructose corn syrup , avoid all these things that will wear your body down . That stuff is so toxic . If I smell it for a second , I can't breathe , toxin overload is bad news and I was a healthy person .

Be mindful of what you're around . You're going to do well, you have good intuition and are striving to take care of yourself all the time . Really glad you shared what's going on .
@fredam7
I think being on anti depressants only really help if you truly have something going on with the serotonin production in your brain. Even then it's still a drug and I don't think being on a drug for years is beneficial

Wish I could find the scientific name for them. Or maybe it was the processing of information is too fast for them so they glitch out for Mili seconds and slowly go away as you become less high. I loved MJ but that part of my life is over now.

My diet is a working progress. It's not a bad diet but it's not a great one but I take a multi vitamin because I can't possibly fit everything in a day. Especially when I work.

Pre Illness days I read a book when I was 18 called the science of superman. Basically one of my favorite books I've ever read. Inbetween anxiety and boredom lies this perfect balance called the flow. When reached any task you are performing time goes by so fast . I'm trying to work my way back into that rythym but this is only achievable when your body is working well !

Thank you. Talking with people on this community has made me feel better instead of being inside my own head trying to figure out what's going on. I'm going to be on this site forever helping people through similar experiences .

Will do. I'll buy some better deodorant and toothpaste hopefully with less chemicals in them. I'm avoiding sugars as much as I can. I only drink a cup of coffee once a week on my day off when I game . Basically instead of having a beer one my day off it's with a cup of coffee no milk or sugar.

Sugar I'm doing alot better. I use to eat junk food all the time because I smoked weed and munched out. Water I've always drank alot of . When I would get high I would drink litres of water because I was dyhdrated lol.

Couple of other things I want your opinion on. Is it normal to get heart palpitations when you are working ? I seem to get them when I get the blood flowing fast. My doctor did a heart monitor for three days and said it was fine.
My blood work was done to check any disease related to fatigue and everything came back normal I closing my TS4 . How in-depth he went I'm not sure though.

I had a MRI of my brain and a cat scan of my organs in my adomin area and he said nothing out of the ordinary. So to my doctor I look ok completely fine but I am definitely not because I'm recovering.

HABS93

What the research shows @HABS93 is that the effect of the MDMA in causing brain inflammation lasted for 3 years but did slowly improve. The inflammation was said to be caused by Hydrogen Peroxide which is a waste product created by Serotonin. Our brains do have an enzyme to to get rid of The H Peroxide. That enzyme is stimulated by Co Q10 which can be taken as a supplement. So that might help a bit.
@andyguitar Wow I wish I paid attention in chemistry and biology. I only understood how the monkeys improved over time and even one time taking MDMA it can take 18 months to heal from that. This is extremely helpful. Thank you!

HABS93

@HABS93 , I do not think my use of MDMA all those years ago actually caused my ME/CFS, but now that I am ill I would not do it again in my state. I am sure it would aggrigave my illness and cause a deep crash, and maybe lower my baseline.

I would be interested in reading the studies that @andyguitar had read too.
@andyguitar What studies did you read on that ?

starryeyes

I tried weed 2 or 3 times many years ago. Each time it had an utterly disturbing effect on me. I felt literally, desperately ill for about eight hours each time.
Friends laughed at me, and I tried to laugh back through the awful nausea and the creepy sense of separation from my natural harmony.
They said it was because I was scared of losing "control" when getting high.
But I doubt that, as alcohol (oddly) had no bad effects on me, just made me giggly and merry ! :_
But all I know about myself is I don't respond well and never did to certain substances....including most pharmaceuticals and antibiotics. There are a few I can happily tolerate. Some pain killers and alcohol.

However, CBD oil (if it's a really good one) should never get someone "high", as it is minus the THC (? i think that's it) which is the psycho-active substance. But it contains all the medical benefits of hemp.

From that....I wonder if CBD may be helpful for those who have had bad effects from hashish? But that is just a flight of fancy of mine and my own idea. I do not know.

Hi Wolfcub, can you tell me which painkillers you can tolerate? I'm super sensitive to all meds like you and since we both have ME, maybe I can tolerate meds you can. I just want to have something I can use for things like surgery besides Ketamine cream (which doesn't go into the bloodstream) and Lidocaine ointment.

Last edited by a moderator:

Carl

Most likely a coincidence - you probably did not notice the symptoms being so drugged up. That is unless they also contained pathogenic bacteria which got into your digestive system. Look on the bright side, your a member of a growing club.

HABS93

Most likely a coincidence - you probably did not notice the symptoms being so drugged up. That is unless they also contained pathogenic bacteria which got into your digestive system. Look on the bright side, your a member of a growing club.
What I've learned if you can have a LTC (long term comedown) for years but a year in and definitely haven't had any cognitive increased or nuelogical fixes.

Carl

What I've learned if you can have a LTC (long term comedown) for years but a year in and definitely haven't had any cognitive increased or nuelogical fixes.
I have never used drugs although I was offered them on many occasions, therefore I have no personal experience.
BTW CFS is usually caused by a bacteria.

HABS93

I have never used drugs although I was offered them on many occasions, therefore I have no personal experience.
BTW CFS is usually caused by a bacteria.
Very interesting. This makes sense my last time using I did a big dose and up until the afternoon the next day. MDMA after awhile because all systems are working overtime causes the immune system to be extremely weak until it recovers from the long high. You think that during this time I could of caught something that causes CFS like bacterial ?