• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Can Someone Please Check Out My Supplementation Regime?

David Jackson

Just looking for some feedback and commentary of my proposed supplement regime for the coming year. These supplements are not specifically intended to recover from ME/CFS, they are just to try and cover all the most common nutritional deficiencies, and biohack things a bit.

Basically, the goal here is to meet all the body's needs so I can live to 120 in good health... as soon as I get over my chronic fatigue, that is, haha.

Since I know that many on this forum are very well versed and researched in nutrition, I thought I'd post this for comment. Very much appreciate anyone who takes the time to read and reply.

Food Supplements:
- Kelp powder for Iodine and other minerals;
- Brazil nuts, mainly for the Selenium;
- Wheat germ, mainly for the Vitamin E, but also for the other minerals;
- Molasses for the minerals;
- Ground Flaxseeds for the Omega 3, as well as other minerals;
- Raw peanut, sunflower and sesame seed butter for the minerals (I will make myself);
- Sprouted Lentils and Mung beans for the protein and minerals;
- Lecithin for the Choline and Inositol.

Clinical Supplements:
- 15-20g of Ascorbic Acid per day, in divided does;
- A few drops of Lugols for Iodine and Iodide;
- Vitamin D taken in the Winter months (also will get a full spectrum light);
- Sunlight during the middle of the day during the sunnier months, so as to catch the UVB rays of the Sun;
- Occasional B12 shots from the Doctor's office;
- A B-Vitamin complex that I have put together myself, ordering each of the B vitamins separately from Pure Bulk (which I heard about thanks to @pamojja). Contains loads of Niacin, as well as everything else in it's correct proportion.

A Few Other Notes:
- I have my own herb garden, where I grow Oregano, Sage, Rosemary, Thyme, Basil, Lemon Balm, Parsley and Mint. I consume about two big handfuls of these herbs every day.
- Also growing copious amounts of Silverbeet/Swiss Chard. Have about four cups worth every day.
- Each day, I brew a herbal tea consisting of some of the herbs that have roots that go deep into the soil, and are known for their mineral uptake - Nettle, Red Colver, Alf Alfa Leaf, Rasberry Leaf, Horsetail and Oatstraw.

Please let me know of anything that I could be overlooking or lacking in. I am trying to do this on a fairly restricted budget, but a lot of the most important things are not too expensive to obtain.

Thanks!

pamojja

Basically, the goal here is to meet all the body's needs so I can live to 120 in good health... as soon as I get over my chronic fatigue, that is, haha.

My thoughts on covering the most basic nutrient deficiencies: https://www.longecity.org/forum/stacks/stack/113-multi-vitamin-and-mineral-stack/

I envy your garden. With testing and vitamin D I found loads of sunshine not enough to raise vitamin D serum levels. Guess it has to do with the declining synthesis at advanced age.

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
- Brazil nuts, mainly for the Selenium;

Brazil nuts often don't have the selenium that is claimed on the package because they're sometimes grown in areas that have very little selenium in the soil.

- Molasses for the minerals;

You didn't mention the type but I assume you know that Black Strap has the most minerals. Organic is definitely preferable since Black Strap molasses is repeatedly boiled to concentrate it, which would also concentrate any pesticides.

- Raw peanut, sunflower and sesame seed butter for the minerals (I will make myself);

Peanuts (and pistachios) are often criticised for having excess mold. You might want to consider almond butter and/or other nut butters as an alternate.

- Vitamin D taken in the Winter months (also will get a full spectrum light);

Magnesium is a necessary cofactor.

- Occasional B12 shots from the Doctor's office;

Why shots instead of a good quality tablet?

- A B-Vitamin complex that I have put together myself, ordering each of the B vitamins separately from Pure Bulk (which I heard about thanks to @pamojja). Contains loads of Niacin, as well as everything else in it's correct proportion.

Niacin can increase fatigue if you have low blood pressure.

Please let me know of anything that I could be overlooking or lacking in. I am trying to do this on a fairly restricted budget, but a lot of the most important things are not too expensive to obtain.

I've been using Dr. Schulze's Superfood recipe for nutritional support. It's a whole food multi-vitamin and multi-mineral. I first tried a jar of his commercial Superfood Plus (which includes a few extra ingredients added to the recipe listed below) and found that my body seemed to like it and my stamina increased with reduced PEM. There's no way I could afford to keep purchasing it, so after that I started making my own based on the original recipe that Dr. Schulze posted on CureZone (listed below). You can also purchase ready made original recipe superfood here.

If you DIY it then the upfront cost for getting all the ingredients in bulk is fairly expensive for someone on a restricted budget but it lasts a long time. Two sources for the DIY ingredients are Mountain Rose Herbs and Pacific Botanicals.

The site Superfoodplus.com contains a lot of interesting information about the reasons for each ingredient. Keep in mind that Superfood Plus adds some items that aren't in this recipe.

Dr. Schulze Superfood Recipe

Equal parts by volume, all powdered, all organic if possible:

Spirulina
Chlorella [cracked cell wall, otherwise it's indigestable]
Wheat grass
Barley grass
Alfalfa leaf
Spinach leaf
Beet root
Rosehips
Orange peel
Lemon peel
Purple Dulse

1. Mix all of the above
2. Then add equal part of the ‘mix’ to equal parts of Nutritional Yeast (saccharomyces cerevisiae)
[Unfortified! Flaked is what Dr. Schulze uses.] This means that if you have two cups of the above mix, you would then add two cups of unfortified nutritional yeast to complete the recipe.

Two tablespoons per day is the recommended dose.

Some comments from others about Superfood:
* Unyquity on CureZone, who makes this recipe for others, says the high amount of nutritional yeast is to add b-vitamins, especially b-12, that are missing in Dr. Schulze prescribed vegan diet. She makes a 'special blend' which only uses two parts nutritional yeast because she says that non-vegans don't need the extra b-vitamins. Unyquity on her formula: "If one is a strict vegan (or juice fasting) perhaps one needs the 250-400% of the RDA of B vitamins (and extra protein) that the nutritional yeast in that quantity provides... but most folks are not vegan, not juice fasting, and already get way too much protein - but absolutely do NOT get enough nutrition. Everybody that's tried the 'Special Blend' against the Original agrees - our bodies just like it much MUCH better!"

* Sam Biser: "[Superfood] is not for all types of metabolisms. The 'Superfood' recipe is high in potassium and iron. Some people will feel marvellous from taking it, others will get ill from the same recipe. I think that some people need a 'Superfood' recipe high in natural calcium and sodium, not potassium and iron. Again, this is a subject an entire volume could be written on ... listen to your intuition more than anything you read and more than anyone you ever talk to."

BeADocToGoTo1

It sounds amazing to have your own garden and you have put a lot of thought into this!

You do not mention the rest of your diet, so hopefully that is well under control, as you can't supplement your way out of a poor diet. My assumption is that you are on top of that too. What is your HbA1c level?

My only thought would be varying the intake and not going into excess daily intake of any one thing. Too much of a good thing can do damage too. Iodine (thyroid impact) and vitamin C (digestion irritation and absorption of other nutrient impact, 15g-20g seems very high and much more than the body can absorb) jumped out at me. Are you able to eat a kiwi, peppers or brocolli for vit C? Omega3s through flaxseeds is usually not adequate, and too much flax can cause irritations. Perhaps some code liver oil supplement, or just some good fish in the diet. What kind of oil are you using for cooking and salads?

It would be good to check your nutrient levels through testing after a while to track the impact.

Wishful

Omega3s through flaxseeds is usually not adequate,

That's what I read too; that flaxseed oil just doesn't get converted to the useful omega-3's efficiently. Of course, the benefits of omega-3's seems to have been greatly overblown. Last I read, they don't do anything significant for heart health.

It sounds amazing to have your own garden

Hey, I have a garden too. Of course, living in north central Alberta, this means only a few months of growing season. Even my lettuce barely grew, and I only had a few small leaves to eat. I only have the garden because of that irresistible springtime urge to work the soil.

Weeds grew okay <grumble>. :grumpy:

David Jackson

Thanks for the replies!

Yeah, the garden is awesome. I forgot to mention that I also have Marjoram, Sorrel, Lemon Vibena, and Pineapple Sage. The following are planted, but still too small to harvest: Lemon Grass, Chervil, Tarragon, Peppermint, Spearmint and a Curry Plant.

Herbs just have so many beneficial and medicinal qualities, I thought I might as well get a herb garden going. Still have lots of room for more.

Here are my replies:

@pamojja yes, I'm trying to get a Vitamin D test from my Doctor. If low, I will also supplement. Aware that sunshine might not be enough by itself. Thanks for pointing out.

@PatJ - I live in a country with low Selenium in the soils, so, yeah, I might have to eat quite a few Brazil nuts to make up for it.

- I get the animal grade molasses... it's just $2 per litre, instead of around $15 per liter, haha.

- Peanuts are less than half the price of Almonds, otherwise, yeah, I'd go with Almonds.

- I am taking B12 tablets at the moment, but heard they are not always so well absorbed as a shot, and, upon investigation, found that a shot will be about the same price as the tablets.

- I love Niacin. In fact, I mixed up my B-Complex with so much Niacin, it triggers a Niacin detox when I have it... I need to go to use my parents infrared sauna to sweat it out to feel better... a Niacin detox is quite a well-known detox method. Will have to start low and go slow on this one.

- And, yes, I do think there is some good value to those kinds of superfoods you mention.

@BeADocToGoTo1 - Haven't had a bloodtest in almost two years, however, every HbA1c test I've ever had has been perfect. Still need to eat every three damn hours, though, because my body gets upset when my blood sugar returns to a 100 level... don't know how to fix that one yet.

- Rest of my diet is vegetarian. Very close to vegan. About 70 - 80% raw.

- Iodine and Vit. C... I like the guys that talk about taking a lot of these things. Vit. C I take in those amounts currently, and notice benefit from it. Trick is to divide the dose throughout the day. Iodine I am reading up on again. Started the kelp last week, and I'm feeling better this week than I was last. Not taking the Lugols yet. But there is a school of thought that thinks that Iodine is needed in much larger quantities than is conventionally thought.

@Wishful I also don't trust all the Omega 3 stuff completely. The fish oil/Omega 3 industry must be a multi-billion dollar indistry. Those capsules are everywhere; in nearly every store. I'm always suspect when there are millions and millions of dollars behind something.

Ultimatly, I'd like to grow Purslane for Omega 3.

Thanks again to everyone for looking over my list. I wish that everyone was taught all of this stuff in school.

pamojja

@PatJ - I live in a country with low Selenium in the soils, so, yeah, I might have to eat quite a few Brazil nuts to make up for it.

After 11 years of supplementing of 300 mcg of selenium and eating at least 1 brazil nut a day, I finally got my GP to test my plasma selenium: 121 ui/L (60-140 normal; 100-140 optimal range).

Iodine (thyroid impact) and vitamin C (digestion irritation and absorption of other nutrient impact, 15g-20g seems very high and much more than the body can absorb) jumped out at me.

The lower absorption of higher vitamin C was arrived at by extrapolation based on wrong assumptions with experimental doses up to 1.2g single doses. To my knowledge there had really only been the following study (now behind a paywall) actually testing plasma levels of high ascorbate intake throughout the day. And found plasma levels before thought possible only via IV:

Journal of the New Zealand Medical Association, 23-August-2002, Vol 115 No 1160

Glycohaemoglobin and ascorbic acid

Copplestone et al1 (http://www.nzma.org....al/115-1157/25/) identified misleading glycohaemoglobin (GHb) results due to a haemoglobin variant (Hb D Punjab) and listed a number of other possible causes for such false results (ie, haemolytic anaemia, uraemia, lead poisoning, alcoholism, high-dose salicylates and hereditary persistence of foetal haemoglobin).

We have observed a significant "false" lowering of GHb in animals and humans supplementing ascorbic acid (AA) at multigram levels. Mice receiving ~7.5 mg/d (equivalent to > 10 g/day in a 70 kg human) exhibited no decrease in plasma glucose, but a 23% reduction in GHb.2 In humans, supplementation of AA for several months did not lower fasting plasma glucose.3,4 We studied 139 consecutive consenting non-diabetic patients in an oncology clinic. The patients had been encouraged as part of their treatment to supplement AA. Self-reported daily intake varied from 0 to 20 g/day. The plasma AA levels ranged from 11.4 to 517 µmol/L and correlated well with the reported intake. Regression analysis of their GHb and plasma AA values showed a statistically significant inverse association (eg, each 30 µmol/L increase in plasma AA concentration resulted in a decrease of 0.1 in GHb).

A 1 g oral dose of AA can raise plasma AA to 130 µmol/L within an hour and such doses at intervals of about two hours throughout the day can maintain ~230 µmol AA/L.5 Similar levels could also be achieved by use of sustained-release AA tablets. This AA concentration would induce an approximate 0.7 depression in GHb. The GHb assay used in our study, affinity chromatography, is not affected by the presence of AA.3 Thus, unlike the case with Hb D Punjab, our results were not caused by analytical method artifact. More likely, the decreased GHb associated with AA supplementation appears related to an in vivo inhibition of glycation by the elevated plasma AA levels, and not a decrease in average plasma glucose.3 If this is true, the effect has implications not only for interpretation of GHb but also for human ageing, in which glycation of proteins plays a prominent role in age-related degenerative changes.

A misleading GHb lowering of the magnitude we observed can be clinically significant. Current recommendations for diabetics suggest that GHb be maintained at 7, a level that is associated with acceptable control and decreased risk of complications; when GHb exceeds 8, re-evaluation of treatment is necessary.6 Moreover, relatively small increases in average blood sugar (ie, GHb) can accompany adverse reproductive effects. A difference in mean maternal GHb of 0.8 was found for women giving birth to infants without or with congenital malformations.7 In either of these circumstances, an underestimation of GHb could obscure the need for more aggressive intervention.

Vitamin usage is common in New Zealand and after multivitamins, AA is the most often consumed supplement.8 Moreover, diabetics are encouraged to supplement antioxidants, including AA. Thus, it seems prudent for primary care health providers to inquire regarding the AA intake of patients, especially diabetics, when using GHb for diagnosis or treatment monitoring.

Cheryl A Krone
Senior Research Scientist
John TA Ely
Director
Applied Research Institute
PO Box 1925
Palmerston North

One can only marvel what they found with other blood markers, for example inflammation or oxidation, if tested. Iodine at very high doses didn't impact my thyroid lab-markers at all. And I would have to take a 50g of ascorbic acid to experience a limiting flushing effect.

I also don't trust all the Omega 3 stuff completely.

Metareviews of omega-3 are always confounded by not taking higher therapeutic doses into account. Here a wall of studies to see for oneself (behind paywall, first post with list is accessible): https://innercircle.undoctored.com/forum/topics.aspx?ID=16862

Last edited:

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
Still need to eat every three damn hours, though, because my body gets upset when my blood sugar returns to a 100 level... don't know how to fix that one yet.

I used to have to eat every 70 minutes because my blood sugar would fall quickly just after that. After using Dr. Christopher's Pancreas Formula and Dr. Christopher's Liver and Gallbladder Formula for a couple of months I was able to delay eating by 90 minutes. I'm now up to 2.5 - 3 hours before needing to eat.

pamojja

Still need to eat every three damn hours, though, because my body gets upset when my blood sugar returns to a 100 level... don't know how to fix that one yet.

Oversaw this one. Which is very strange. In my case can't feel blood-sugar levels at all, but I'm well aware that to keep it below 100 mg/dl at all times would be essential for not deterioriating chronic diseases. Which isn't possible to me, I'm prediabetic too. I changed from a low-fat vegan to a pescetarian high-fat with occasional meat (once ever 1-2 months) with the onset of chronic disease 11 years ago (with meanwhile remission from a walking-disability).

However, since many years I eat only twice a day, feel absolutely satiated by all the healthy fats eaten (~70% of calories), but my blood-glucose readings are still pre-diabetic.

If I only eat 1 tiny slice of the forbitten foods (sugar and grains) my blood-glucose is above 200 mg/dl = diabetic.

David Jackson

@pamojja loving that Vitamin C article.

@PatJ 70 minutes... that must have almost driven you crazy? I am writing this in the middle of the night, actually, because, as usual, I've woken up and will need to eat before I can go back to sleep.

It's like the body is super mental about preventing anything close to low blood sugar happening, so it demands food urgently at levels where it should be fine for a few hours.

Probably also something to do with a messed up endocrine system, and cortisol and stuff not happening like it should.

percyval577

nucleus caudatus et al
Re: w3-faty acids:

I have read somewhere they would help to make cell membranes flexible, e.g. axons in nerves.
Ppl who eat too less would possibly behave aggressive and so on.

The last weeks they did a lot for me, though along other influences,
and the influences indeed may converge in making axons.

Re: vegetarian:

Sadly I got completely worse from eating proteins from vegetarian sources instead from animal ones.

The reason obviously being the high amount of manganese.
Two infections may have elevated manganese actions in my brain
(at the expense of actions of Ni, Cr and Zn, as it appears).

BeADocToGoTo1

@BeADocToGoTo1 - Haven't had a bloodtest in almost two years, however, every HbA1c test I've ever had has been perfect. Still need to eat every three damn hours, though, because my body gets upset when my blood sugar returns to a 100 level... don't know how to fix that one yet.

@PatJ ... I am writing this in the middle of the night, actually, because, as usual, I've woken up and will need to eat before I can go back to sleep.

It's like the body is super mental about preventing anything close to low blood sugar happening, so it demands food urgently at levels where it should be fine for a few hours.

Sorry for going a bit off topic on this, but it is close to my heart (ahem, pancreas) and know the effects first hand. I was wondering if the need to eat every 3 hours extended to the night. Is your body waking you up with an adrenaline jolt from sleep? In my case those were hypoglycemic periods. Eating breakfast, lunch, snack, dinner in 3 hour intervals is perfectly fine. But breaking from eating for a 12-14 hour period every day should be easy unless there is an imbalance. We had a good discussion in this thread that might be worth checking out:

https://forums.phoenixrising.me/thr...two-articles-on-patients-who-did.76351/page-3

@pamojja yes, I'm trying to get a Vitamin D test from my Doctor. If low, I will also supplement. Aware that sunshine might not be enough by itself. Thanks for pointing out.

Another reason to perhaps add more fish to the diet. I get unpleasant reactions now from vitamin D pills, but not from cod liver oil (good source of Vit A, D, K) or, even better, a piece of fish. Of course as always the quality is crucial.

@PatJ ...
- I get the animal grade molasses... it's just $2 per litre, instead of around $15 per liter, haha.
- Peanuts are less than half the price of Almonds, otherwise, yeah, I'd go with Almonds.
- I am taking B12 tablets at the moment, but heard they are not always so well absorbed as a shot, and, upon investigation, found that a shot will be about the same price as the tablets.

Sorry if these comments are obvious, just ignore if so. Quality of all the above is crucial to avoid taking in chemicals, toxins, pesticides, heavy metals, etc. Peanuts (not nuts, but legumes) will have different nutrient balance so a bit of both is not bad. There are some B9/B12 sublingual pills that are better absorbed. I have used Active B12-Folate from ProThera as an example.

- Iodine and Vit. C... I like the guys that talk about taking a lot of these things. Vit. C I take in those amounts currently, and notice benefit from it. Trick is to divide the dose throughout the day. Iodine I am reading up on again. Started the kelp last week, and I'm feeling better this week than I was last. Not taking the Lugols yet. But there is a school of thought that thinks that Iodine is needed in much larger quantities than is conventionally thought.

What symptoms do you get when blood sugar goes below 100? HbA1c is a 6-8 week average where a 5.2% equates to around 100 mg/dL, which is healthy. 5.3% or higher and trouble is starting.

Again, ignore if too obvious, but If you are vegan or vegetarian, extra care has to be taken to get all crucial micro-nutrients such as calcium, iron, zinc, omega-3 fatty acids, iodine, choline, selenium, vitamins B2, B12 and D3.

This question also links to the whole blood sugar element. Are you getting enough healthy protein, and fatty acids? Vegetarian or vegan diets can be carb heavy and difficult to balance. Are you willing/able to add things like fish and eggs to the diet? Are you getting enough calories overall?

David Jackson

@BeADocToGoTo1

The last time it was tested, by HbA1c was 25 mmol/mol. Not sure how that fits in with your percentage. That was taken ages ago, actually.

I get symptoms of hypoglycemia when my blood-sugar is normal; like at 100. From what I understand, that shouldn't be happening at that level.

This means that I often can't sleep through the night without waking up to eat.

pamojja

HbA1c is a 6-8 week average where a 5.2% equates to around 100 mg/dL, which is healthy.

Note, for us 20g per day ascorbic acid consumers HbA1c as per above study can be lowered up to 1%! - Beside many other factors which can change the length of the life-cycle of hemoglobin, and therefore modify its glycated part found (if shorter lifecycle, less HbA1c; if longer, more accumulated).

Therefore it is essential to get frequent blood glucose meassurements and calculate the supposed HbA1c from:

hba1c.png

For example, my messured average BG is almost 120 mg/dl, HbA1c calculated would be 5.8%. HbA1c meassured averaged 5%, calculated that would give a mere 97 mg/dl (for the last 11 years).

The last time it was tested, by HbA1c was 25 mmol/mol. Not sure how that fits in with your percentage. That was taken ages ago, actually.

Too long ago, to mean anything now. 25 mmol/mol would be 4.5%, according to online calculators.

Last edited:

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
feel absolutely satiated by all the healthy fats eaten (~70% of calories),

Can you give an estimate of how many grams of fat that equals per day?

If I only eat 1 tiny slice of the forbitten foods (sugar and grains) my blood-glucose is above 200 mg/dl = diabetic.

Apple cider vinegar is useful for many people to reduce their blood sugar. This article provides an overview with study references.

I've read so much about the benefits of ACV, but finding out that it reduces blood sugar levels helped me realize why I feel terrible whenever I take it. That's the opposite of what I need much of the time.

70 minutes... that must have almost driven you crazy? I am writing this in the middle of the night, actually, because, as usual, I've woken up and will need to eat before I can go back to sleep.

I got used to it. :) I also had to get used to the opposite: being able to go longer without needing to eat.

I should have mentioned that it's only during the day that I have blood sugar problems. I can go from 7 pm to 5 am without eating or having any low blood sugar problems. I've had to adjust my sleep schedule to those hours. I also eat a small meal just before bed.

Low blood sugar sets off a whole cascade of stressful responses and compensatory reactions in the body. Heading it off before it happens is important.

I used to be able to time my blood sugar drops right down to the minute when they were going to happen. After that point the symptoms would hit quickly. I could get so confused that I could be starting at food knowing that I needed to eat but couldn't figure out what to do (move the arm, pick up the spoon, lift to the mouth, chew...). When it got that bad I would have to wait a couple of minutes for my blood sugar to increase a little on its own so that I could get out of the stupor and quickly eat something.

Now that I've improved, the threshold isn't as sharp. Sometimes I can even put off eating for an extra 20 minutes without noticing any nausea or cognitive decline.

I get symptoms of hypoglycemia when my blood-sugar is normal; like at 100. From what I understand, that shouldn't be happening at that level.

I've read that the standard ranges just don't apply to some people. What is normal-low for an 'average' person could lead to a hypoglycemic seizure in someone who is especially sensitive. But... 100 is at the high end of the normal range so you're right that it's odd to be having low blood sugar symptoms at that value.

pamojja

Can you give an estimate of how many grams of fat that equals per day?

I do take apple cider vinegar every day. Also all other herbals which alledgedly lowers BG. But the most important still remains limiting of carbs, without which any day could override all countermeassures.

The ~70% fat figure I got when I went low-carb 11 years ago. Where I meassured and analysed my diet care-fully for almost 3 years, and included the first year not that low-carb. Due to having become more strict, it might be even higher these days. The actual grams were 132. Fats are assumed 9kcal per gram. Protein and carbs about 4 kcal/g.

David Jackson

@PatJ Yeah, they call it Idiopathic Postprandial Syndrome; where you get hypoglycemic symptoms without actual hypoglycemia. Also known as Adrenergic Postprandial Syndrome, where the adrenal glands are getting things wrong, and contributing to it.

BeADocToGoTo1

@PatJ Yeah, they call it Idiopathic Postprandial Syndrome; where you get hypoglycemic symptoms without actual hypoglycemia. Also known as Adrenergic Postprandial Syndrome, where the adrenal glands are getting things wrong, and contributing to it.

Hi @David Jackson

Have you ever checked for any malabsorption issues and had a thorough check of nutrient (im)balances, especially since you follow a restricted diet? Any hormonal issues I had were due to nutrient deficiencies.

Test example:
  • Genova FMV nutritional test, which is a great indicator of nutrient deficiencies, microbiome dysbiosis, malabsorption, etc. The 'Essential and Metabolic Fatty Acids Markers' add-on is also very helpful. Great Plains Lab has a version as well called Organic Acid Test (OAT). These tests are biochemistry and metabolomics in practice. This test should be standard for all primary care and family practice doctors as a regular preventative maintenance test, and for anything chronic or hard to diagnose.
  • Spectracell Micronutrient testing - checks for intra-cellular (white blood cells) nutrient levels. It was the only one that spotted my vitamin K deficiency at the time. Not everyone here is thrilled with the accuracy of this one, but it is just another angle.