• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Can magnesium improve the symptoms of POTS?

A week ago I started taking a medicine that is in Spain called CN Base and has many components of vitamins and minerals. A few days later I noticed an improvement in the post-exertion fatigue (it was more tolerable) and I notice that the pulsations go up less than before. I have not tried to walk more than I can usually do, because I do not want to force my body either. But of course, the fatigue has been less. After waiting a few days to confirm it, I think it is some component of the medicine and I deduce that it is magnesium. I do not know if I have a deficit or not, in the test of metals and minerals in the hair follicle of the hair it came out in addition to high several metals, low in magnesium and potassium. Potassium in blood is always in range, but magnesium has never looked at it in blood.

I have read in some places that magnesium can relieve the symptoms of POTS in some people, I imagine that because they have a deficit (the deficit gives dysautonomic symptoms apparently). What worries me, to put it somehow, is that the CN Base drug only brings 40mg. per capsule and sometimes at rest with the heart rate monitor of 60 beats per minute and occasionally I have reached 47. I had thought about taking more magnesium separately but it seems that if there is excess it can cause serious symptoms such as sudden hypotension that can leave you unconscious.

One capsule CN Base contains:

Retinol acetate (vit A) 340 μg retinol
Colecalciferol (vit D3) 7.5 μg
Succinate of D-alpha-tocopheryl (vit E) 10 mg of alpha-tocopherol
Calcium ascorbate (vit C) 150 mg of vitamin C
Thiamine hydrochloride (vit B1) 4.2 mg.
Riboflavin-5-phosphate (vit B2) 4.8 mg.
Niacinamide or Nicotinamide (vit B3) 7 mg.
Calcium D-pantothenate (Vit B5) 4 mg
Pyridoxal 5-phosphate (vit B6) 6 mg
Biotin (vit B7) 75 μg
Calcium L-Methylfolate (vit B9) 150 μg of folate
Methylcobalamin (vit B12) 3 μg
Calcium citrate 25 mg calcium
Total calcium 37 mg
Magnesium citrate 37.5 mg of magnesium
Zinc citrate 5 mg zinc
Copper citrate 0.50 mg copper
Manganese Citrate 0.80 mg manganese
Sodium molybdate 15 μg molybdenum
Sodium selenite 50 μg selenium
Chromium picolinate 65 μg chrome
R-lipoic acid 50 mg
Coenzyme Q10 fermented 50 mg
Natural additives: silicon dioxide and microcrystalline cellulose.

LINE

RDA for magnesium is 300-350mg per day. Magnesium is probably one of the most important minerals since it controls so many enzymatic functions. Magnesium is quite sensitive to stress, meaning when the system is stressed (not just emotional but biological stress which includes infections, trauma etc) then magnesium is lost. Cardiovascular and muscles are quite dependent on magnesium as are the stress/adrenal components.

Magnesium is also dependent on other nutrients much like everything else in the body. Magnesium comes in many forms, so you have to find the one that works, it sounds like this form is working. I found that mag lysinate mixed with mag glycinate are particular effective for me. I stay away from oxide, citrate, orotate forms.

Dr. Mildred Seelig, M.D. was perhaps the best mag researcher and wrote many pivotal articles which can be found here:
http://www.mgwater.com/seelig.shtml

This article deals specifically with CFS/ME and magnesium
http://www.mgwater.com/clmd.shtml

LINE

Some statements that came from the last link (mgwater.com/clmd.shtml):

The evidence that Mg deficiency causes a variety of both humoral and cellular defense disturbances, among which are several that have been identified in CFS and FM, is a reason to suspect that either Mg deficiency or its abnormal utilization might be a pathogenic factor in CFS. It has been suggested that the immunologic response to infection that often precedes CFS may be linked to the nervous system and to catecholamine release and to that of pituitary hormones (235). An intriguing hypothesis: "neurogenic switching" ties together allergies (e.g., of "sick building syndrome" or multiple chemical sensitivity syndrome) with immunogenic inflammation and neurogenic inflammation, mediated by substance P or other neuropeptides (236).

The use of Mg, as one of the down-regulators of NMDA firing, has been suggested to control the immune disease manifestations of CFS, and the evidence of free radical injury to the brain in CFS (239) supports the rationale for combined Mg and antioxidant therapy in CFS. The finding that Mg deficiency is associated with free radical production, (as well as having direct effects on immunologic mechanisms) suggests that the Mg effect might be enhanced by adding antioxidants to Mg treatment also of LTS. It is provocative that magnesium and taurine (an antioxidant amino acid) has been proposed as therapy for migraine (132) and for the complex of complaints termed electromagnetic dysthymia, which includes CFS as an extreme case (233).

@Thinktank , but in case of deficit it seems to cause symptoms like those of the POTS. I do not know if it was magnesium or another component of CN Base, but if I read that there are people who have improved POTS with magnesium, I imagine they would have a deficit. My dilemma is now whether to increase magnesium dose or can be dangerous precisely because, being vasodilator ...

Also I will start the ketogenic diet and it is assumed that you have to take more magnesium, sodium and potassium because many mineral salts are lost.

Peyt

Magnesium makes POTS worst!(so does Niacinamide ) Anything the dilates blood vessels makes POTS worst..
What I see in that formula that is helpful is Thiamine.
Many people who are supposedly diagnosed for POTS really have another condition called BeriBeri. The symptoms are very similar. The cure for BeriBeri is Thiamine.

Also, Riboflaven in the formula could be helpful as well but Thiamine deficiency should be addressed first.

Also, I have learned the hard way never to take any supplements that have so many things in them. Chances are some of the vitamins or minerals in the formula are no good for POTS people. IMHO

Last edited:

JasonUT

1. I believe niacin/nicotinic acid has a flushing and vasodilating effect. - Link
  2. Niacinamide/Nicotinamide should not have a flushing or vasodilating effect. I take 500 mg TID due to functional B3 deficiency on my nutrient testing panel.
  3. I also had a functional B1 deficiency. Repleting it did help a lot. Probably got me from 50% to 60% functional to 70%-80% functional.
  4. Thiamine must be repleted with Mg per Dr. Lonsdale. Lonsdale recommends 300-500 mg lipothiamine with 300 mg Mg and a good B-complex.
  5. B1 and Magnesium are dependent. Link
  6. Interesting article on B1 and Mg. Link
  7. Lonsdale also seems to point this out. Link
Overall, magnesium glycinate has stabilized my blood pressure at a very steady 110/70 to 120/80. Before Mg my blood pressure was all over the place from 80/50 to 140/90. I am still testing different forms and dosages of Mg to find the one that causes the least GI issues and best symptom improvement. So far, I have tried KAL, Pure Encapsulation, and Solray.

Also, I do have POTS. Without Mg my BPM would jump from 60 to 120+. With Mg my BPM seems to jump from 55 to 100+. Previously, I was focused on the different types of thiamine and didn't put much thought into the types of Mg. I am now experimenting with Mg types and dosages.

Last edited:

LINE

Overall, magnesium glycinate has stabilized my blood pressure at a very steady 110/70 to 120/80. Before Mg my blood pressure was all over the place from 80/50 to 140/90. I am still testing different forms and dosages of Mg to find the one that causes the least GI issues and best symptom improvement. So far, I have tried KAL, Pure Encapsulation, and Solray.

Also, I do have POTS. Without Mg my BPM would jump from 60 to 120+. With Mg my BPM seems to jump from 55 to 100+. Previously, I was focused on the different types of thiamine and didn't put much thought into the types of Mg. I am now experimenting with Mg types and dosages.

Glycinate and Lysinate work best for me. Doctors Best has High Absorption Magnesium which contains both.