• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Can anyone recommend a good fish oil ?

Bansaw

There are a lot to choose from out there.
I'm looking for one that might have a focus on DHA rather than EPA for good mental function.

I think farm-raised fish are to be avoided, thats pretty much all I know.

any recommendations ?

Zebra

Hi, @Bansaw!

I am a big fan of the brand, Nordic Naturals, which was recommended to me by a functional medicine doctor. You can check out their website to learn more about the company and their sourcing practices.

This brand is on the pricier side, and because cost is an issue for me, I stock up when they are 25% off at the nearest natural foods store.

Best wishes to you!
Z

Timaca

This is an Algae oil supplement and not a fish oil, but I prefer it because there is no fishy taste. As @Zebra stated, Nordic Naturals is a good brand and that is what I use. I eat Whole Food Plant Based so I don't eat animal products (except this past year I had a bit of salmon while we were in Norway). I take one of these soft gels daily (instead of the 2 recommended on the bottle). I recently had my Omega 3 and 6 levels tested, along with my EPA, DPA and DHA levels. Interestingly, everything looked good when they broke it down, but they showed that my whole blood EPA, DPA and DHA was 5.3 L and they recommend > 5.4. So I am going to take 2 soft gels 4 days a week and 1 soft gel 3 days a week. I've been pleased with that supplement....no fishy taste or burping. Fish get their omega 3s from algae, so I just cut out the middle fish and take the algae supplement!

IThinkImTurningJapanese

Probably not what you're looking for, but for an occasional supplement this is delicious. :D
Amandacod.jpg

Plum

Nordic Naturals is the best in terms of quality and amount of omega 3 for the price. It also stays nice and fresh.

In the UK there is a better brand for anyone who's interested called Bare Biology.

Wishful

If you don't notice an improvement, check the latest research findings on omega 3's in the medical journals. Last time I checked, the research was mostly finding no measurable benefits from supplemental doses.

It seems that all those fishies died just for someone's profit. :(

Cipher

Administrator
Fish oil come in two different forms: ethyl ester form or triglyceride form. The triglyceride form is superior because:
  • It's better absorbed, resulting in higher DHA & EPA levels in the blood
  • It's less prone to oxidize (go rancid) compared to ethyl ester
Most fish oil supplement on the market is using ethyl ester form because it's cheaper. You'll know if a fish oil supplement comes in the triglyceride form as they will distinctively market it as such.

I've used two German brands called Wehle Sports and True Nutrition Technology, both costing about 0,18 euro/g triglyceride EPA+DHA. Another brand that I've yet to try is called California Gold Nutrition, costs 0,19 euro/g triglyceride EPA+DHA and contains natural tocopherols (Vitamin E) to minimize oxidation.

These brands are considerably cheaper than Nordic Naturals for example, costing about 0,58 euro/g triglyceride EPA+DHA on iherb. Bare Biology's fish oil seems to cost about 0,86 euro/g triglyceride EPA+DHA.

Cipher

Administrator
If you don't notice an improvement, check the latest research findings on omega 3's in the medical journals. Last time I checked, the research was mostly finding no measurable benefits from supplemental doses.

It seems that all those fishies died just for someone's profit. :(

While fish oil is not an all-cure miracle, it still have a considerable amount of scientific data indicating its positive effects in the body. Here's a link to Dr Rhonda Patrick's twitter posts regarding omega-3, she has done research in this field.

Cipher

Administrator
A tip regarding fish oil is to transfer the capsules to an air-tight glass jars, as it then will be hermetically sealed of from the oxygen in the air that risk oxidizing the fish oil. Regular plastic bottles are generally speaking permeable to oxygen in varying amounts. If you have a lot of fish oil to store for a long time it might also be prudent to put it in the fridge or freezer to minimize oxidation.

Hipsman

Fish oil come in two different forms: ethyl ester form or triglyceride form. The triglyceride form is superior because:
  • It's better absorbed, resulting in higher DHA & EPA levels in the blood
  • It's less prone to oxidize (go rancid) compared to ethyl ester
Very interesting, I did not know this.
Another brand that I've yet to try is called California Gold Nutrition, costs 0,19 euro/g triglyceride EPA+DHA and contains natural tocopherols (Vitamin E) to minimize oxidation.
If you do try it, please let us know how is it, iHerb has much more shipping countries available.