• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Can anyone help with a heart-rate training question?

Abrin

So, I just finished the book 'Heart, Breath, Mind: Train Your Heart to Conquer Stress and Achieve Success' by Leah Lagos and in it she mentions using a heart monitor while doing paced breathing.

I am sure we have all heard that when you take slow and deep breaths that your heart rate is supposed to slow down.

The problem is that when I am practicing paced breathing my heart-rate jumps up like 10 beats per minute which is the complete opposite of what is supposed to be happening.

Does anyone know what gives? I know that people with ME/CFS are supposed to have breathing issues but I am at a loss why this would happen. :eek:

xebex

could be the type of breathing you are doing, according to some techniques an in for 2 out for 2 would give different results than in for 2 out for 4. There's also some theory suggesting that deep breathing isn't actually beneficial, but rather slow and shallow (ie butyeko). It's not an exact science and although i have found some breathwork helpful, i have also found certain techniques to worsen symptoms.

Last edited:

Abrin

could be the type of breathing you are doing, according to some techniques an in for 2 out for 2 would give different results than in for 2 out for 4. There's also some theory suggesting that deep breathing isn't actually beneficial, but rather slow and shallow (ie butyeko). It's not an exact science and although i have found some breathwork helpful, i have also found certain techniques to worsen symptoms.

I've been doing an inhale of 3 seconds and an exhale of 5 seconds because I found I was unable to do the recommended 4-6.

xebex

I've been doing an inhale of 3 seconds and an exhale of 5 seconds because I found I was unable to do the recommended 4-6.
It’s really hard to know, as everything affects PWME differently. You could try 2-4 instead. Also you may find that with practise the heart rate slows, its like aerobic training and in theory it you should get better at it, but of course, we have ME and it’s just not that simple. Another thing is to make sure you’re doing it at least 2 hours after eating, it’s important to have an empty stomach in the practises I have done.

Abrin

It’s really hard to know, as everything affects PWME differently. You could try 2-4 instead. Also you may find that with practise the heart rate slows, its like aerobic training and in theory it you should get better at it, but of course, we have ME and it’s just not that simple. Another thing is to make sure you’re doing it at least 2 hours after eating, it’s important to have an empty stomach in the practises I have done.

Thanks for the advice. I really appreciate it!