• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Can Anybody Be My Meditation Buddy?

Float

Hi there! Does anyone else want to get back into their regular meditation habit?
I feel like I need an accountability partner who would like to share a daily message about their meditation experience.
I'm seasoned, I don't need lessons, just connection.
We could even use this thread if I few people want to join in
THANK YOU!

Float

Thank you @AnnieT
I slept through morning meditation today haha, so this evening it is.
I have to carry on working from home, though my country is on the month or more home based "retreat" .
So this evening it is. I will practice and write of my experience; even if the experience is that I wriggled and mind spewed for an hour haha.

AnnieT

@Float I did my meditation yesterday afternoon, cross legged on the sofa, 20 minutes. Because I haven't done it for so long I didn't fall into it so naturally, but I know that will come from practice.

Hope you are keeping well, and 10 minutes at any time of the day is better than nothing.

AnnieT

@Float I did 30 minutes this afternoon again and my mind quieted easier. Yes, it is a good feeling to have started a consistent practice.

Many years ago i had a very dedicated yoga practice, but this fell by the way side and meditation is a form of yoga that can be done even when body is unwell.

AnnieT

@Float that is really good to hear.

I managed only 5 minutes yesterday due to interruptions from my dog !

Today was short 10 minutes this morning, but it felt really good, and my mind was focused. I will perhaps do more meditation later as it is only early afternoon here.

I want to do another longer practice.

Float

That's awesome @AnnieT
A short practice daily, as i'm sure you already know, adds up more than a sporadic 2 hour sit hehe.
I didnt do mine yet but did contemplation.

AnnieT

Hi @Float , Great to hear that you are stepping up your practice - great consistency!

I have gone off track for a few days, but still feel on course because I did 20 minutes this morning again.

Need it more than ever in these times!

pamojja

Guys, don't worry, there are countless meditation buddies out there - in total many 100 000s every minute of the day around the globe.

The thing is: one can't force persistent meditation. With encouragement of others it only opperates on a tiny part of personality, which meditation ultimately weakens until it vanishes. Therefore such encouragement is in itself counterproductive and couldn't - with advance in medition - keep it up.

I'm seasoned, I don't need lessons, just connection.

There. That's why many meditators do it secretly, and by definition and that purpose wont strenghten that part in themself and you.

Real motivation for meditation comes from an other part of personality, which has seen through the futility of wanting and not-wanting, becoming, being.. And therefore meditates because one had enough of all this.

What however is very helpful is a community of real spiritual friends, which through their example in integrating ethic behavour, one-pointedness and wisdom, are really the precondition for meditative practice for most.

pamojja

It hasn't delivered on eternal peace 😂

The proposed path through suffering/stress is systematic:
Lawfulness of Progress, Anguttara Nikaya X, 1-2:

For one who is virtuous and endowed with virtue (Sila), there is no need for an act of will: 'May non-remorse arise in me!' It is a natural law, monks, that non-remorse (Kusala-sañña) will arise in one who is virtuous.
- For one free of remorse, there is no need for an act of will: 'May gladness arise in me!' It is a natural law that gladness (Pamojja) will arise in one who is free from remorse.
- For one who is glad at heart, there is no need for an act of will: 'May joy arise in me!' It is a natural law that joy (Piti) will arise in one who is glad at heart.
- For one who is joyful, there is no need for an act of will: 'May my body be serene!' It is a natural law that the body will be serene (Passaddhi) for one who is joyful.
- For one of serene body, there is no need for an act of will: 'May I feel happiness!' It is a natural law that one who is serene will feel happiness (Sukha).
- For one who is happy, there is no need for an act of will: 'May my mind be concentrated!' It is a natural law for one who is happy that the mind will be concentrated (Samma-samadhi).
- For one who is concentrated, there is no need for an act of will: 'May I know and see things as they really are!' It is a natural law for one a concentrated mind to know and see things as they really are (Ñanadassana).
- For one who knows and sees things as they really are, there is no need for an act of will: 'May I experience revulsion and dispassion!' It is a natural law for one who knows and sees things as they really are to experience revulsion and dispassion (Nibbida).
- For one who experiences revulsion and dispassion, there is no need for an act of will: 'May I realize the knowledge and vision of liberation!' It is a natural law for one who experiences revulsion and dispassion to realize the knowledge and vision of liberation (Nibbana).
...Thus, monks, the preceding qualities flow into the succeeding qualities; the succeeding qualities bring the preceding qualities to perfection, for going from the near to the far shore.​
When I was confronted with an inabilty through ME/CFS to sit formal meditation, I just changed it to the more comfortable lying position. Whenever not being able to fall asleep, any time during the day at rest or waiting, during public transport, etc. Which actually was a great way to integrate practice in everyday living.

AnnieT

@pamojja yes, I am exactly the same, in moments throughout the day.

@Float yes I am doing well, and have not been doing much in the way of structured practice, but doing small amounts throughout the day of focusing the mind.