• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Can a single submaximal CPET give us our anaerobic threshold?

I assume the answer to this question is no, because if it were possible more people would be doing it, but I haven't found it in the forums so I have to ask.

I know that a 2-day CPET is needed to distinguish ME/CFS from deconditioning.

But can the anaerobic threshold not be discovered in a single CPET? And is there any reason that such a CPET would have to be done at maximal effort, rather than just going to the point that is the anaerobic threshold and then stopping?

I personally don't need to prove ME/CFS, and I can't imagine asking my body to do maximal effort two days in a row (pretty sure that would have months-long consequences), but I can easily see asking it to go just a bit over the anaerobic threshold.

Please tell me why this won't work!

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
I kept meaning to come back and say something about this. I'm not sure of the answer but there was a man on YT who had the testing through Dr. Klimas office and though he didn't say (I went back and listened again), it sounded like it was just a one day test to AT (Anaerobic threshold). ??

This article also does not sound like it is talking about a 2-day CPET but says, "CPET...permits the evaluation of both submaximal and peak exercise responses..." and "...involves measurements of respiratory oxygen uptake (Vo2), carbon dioxide production (Vco2), and ventilatory measures during a symptom‐limited exercise test."

I did not finishing reading the full article but it does have 20 mentions of the term "anaerobic threshold" on that page.

I hope it is helpful. I would say though maybe the best way to know would be to call a sports medicine center where they do CPET and confirm. They could also give you pricing for their services that way. Many medical colleges also have these centers I believe.

I don't know where you are in TX but here is some search results<< I found...just for phone numbers. I suppose you also could try calling Dr Klimas office or even some place like Workwell Foundation where they do the 2-day CPET. They would probably know.

Sorry, it took me so long to come back and respond. Hope you're able to get your question answered if this didn't help. :)

Thank you. I hadn't thought of contacting a sports medicine center.

I agree that that article implies that what I am looking for is possible. Thanks!

Pyrrhus

But can the anaerobic threshold not be discovered in a single CPET? And is there any reason that such a CPET would have to be done at maximal effort, rather than just going to the point that is the anaerobic threshold and then stopping?

My understanding is that a lowered anaerobic threshold can indeed be detected in a single CPET.

But I don't know if it can be detected in real time, during the administration of a CPET.

The anaerobic threshold might need to be calculated after the CPET is complete.

The Workwell Foundation could probably give you a more exact answer.

I hope this helps.

I found someone who's done it! (See SOC's post on that thread.)

Now I'm wondering, though, whether this is even useful to me right now because of severe POTS—my heart rate jumps 60 bpm in the first minute of standing. I'm hoping to find someone who can help me figure the complexities of all this out. But I'm glad to know that it's doable.

ETA: I just noticed that it's even better than that—SOC did both the one-day maximal test and one where they stopped once they had the AT, and they came out the same.

Last edited: