• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Campaign to bring wessley to justice

flex

Campaign to bring Wessely to justice

I suggest that we play Wessely at his own game and set up a foundation to take direct legal action against him to bring him to justice and hopefully jail. This will play right into his tactic of headlining and PR. The difference is we know that we are in the right.Evidence and science is on our side. Worldwide we are 17 million strong and if we go for him all his cronies around him may abandon ship or try to pass the blame onto him.

There is no shortage of people around the world that would give evidence against him, especially people whom have been thrown into swimming pools!!!! We could highlight his deliberately flawed "studies" and the repremands he has had from the WHO. The evidence could be endless.

If we set up a trust fund to be held by a legally appointed group and each donated a minimum of 10 the amount we could raise may be phenominal.

The evidence could be submitted on line and assessed for its legal credibity by our appointed legal team.
With good PR large organisations sympathetic to our cause may put in large donations. Any funds raised could be used in the continued battle to bring out the clear scientific truth.

Wessley keeps dumping untruths into the public domain, we need to put the truth into the public domain. We we are never in the same ring fighting. We just keep telling each other the truths that we already know and leave the media and the general public open to his nonsense. We need to be on the radio, tv and in the courts rather than being underground movements on internet forums.

I am looking for positive feedback on this from lots of different internet sites and am willing to set up the campaign.

this can be done easier when/if xmrv is proven to be the cause .. in addition pwc will have the energy to fight : ) , but i m afraid everyone will forgive or forget wessley like ppl if they get well .. anyway i can give 5 $ i think , at any time the action starts .. ( u should add this post what he advices to mds , like " do minimum testing to pwc , cut their financial support and they will have to stop malingering and work etc . )

Kati

Patient in training
I am no law superstar, but I am curious to know if you want to pursue criminal suit or civil? How about professional acusation where he could lose his licence to practice?Are you seking damage? And in the future could that mean presing charge against the government??? A lot of questions but I think it's important to know.

I'd be ready to contribute a small amount. I think it's time to pass to action for you guys.

Min

He is immensely powerful and works for the military on both sides of the Atlantic.

Nina

I would want to support this in any way I can! Interested to know more about how this could be achieved.

flex

Kati, the particular legal route is an interesting one. Thats why I suggest a peaceful online campaign of submissions from anyone or any organisation in the world, including patients, medics, scientists, research leaders etc. there must be be thousands of people whom want to speak out against him.

Even the WPi statement yesterday was a damning enditment of his scientific credibility. They are not the only people ever to speak out against him. The WHO has reprimanded him and many parlimentry select committees have highlighted his flawed methodology. Every credible medical authority in the world has ME/CFS listed as a neurolical disease of "unknown cause". he gets away with his psycho babble nonsense purley because of spin and marketing.

It would be up to the legal team to filter out the useful evidence and choose the type of prosecution. Im willing to bet he could be attacked legally from every angle. In a media campaign against him there is no shortage of directions to hit him from without predjudice, by simply stating the facts.

Every establishment wants a scapegoat if it may be going down. They would fall into the trap of divide and rule, the same game that Wessley tries to play on our communitity.

The Psychs are already trying damage limitation attemting to role out CBT and GET to MS and Cancer patients saying that they are also suffering from CFS as well as their other already diagnosed illness and they just need to pull themselves together to "perform" better.

We can not let them of the hook so they role out their devised nonsense and make even more money at the expense of taxpayers over every illness they can squirm their way into.
When you have a money making machine and your industry goes down you just need another market to role out your statergies on. Thats what they are going to do and what they will always do because they make people think their word is gospel even though it has no scientific crediblty. This is the link that we have to break.

The more mental illnesses they invent the more money they make. They try to make every human emotion, expression and sentiment fit into their own made up mental illnesses, which they vote in on a show of hands.

Alice Band

PWME - ME by Ramsay
Flex, if patients do genuinely speak out SW et al would have a gagging order on them very quickly or other pressure would be brought to bare.

Are you aware of what happened with the Judicial Review on the NICE guidelines?

Have you actually tried to get a legal representative to act on behalf of a group of patients like this? I have, on a number of different occasions.

flex

Alice,

I am aware what happenened at the judicial review - it was an establishment whitewash. The point was that NICE got of on a technicality because they only had to prove that they followed the guidence laid out to them. They dont have to do things right
they can just say "NOT MY FAULT GOV" if it all goes wrong.

The main defense was what patients dont want rather than what they are medically and ethically entitled to. Namely real medical testing and advancement in the biological paradime that has been well published around the world. 3T mri machines should be used to scan the whole CNS. SPECT scans should be available as well as PET scans and Tilt table tests along with videod Neurological examinations to shows physical signs of CNS disease. The patient can keep the video as proof that doctors dismiss clear CNS damage in physical examinations in order to close down the diagnostic process as advised by Wessely.

Many academics submitted evidence and were willing to do so. Its the scientific credibilty and the corruption beind the whole matter that needs to be challenged in the public domain not just in courts. Im not saying that would be easy, but with the XMRV issue and the admittence yesterday form Imperial College that ME/CFS is an organic disease even though they didnt prove it to be in their studies that they have now admitted they used different patient coherts to the WPI one they seem to be on the back foot.

If we let them of now they will rise up again. We need to make them keep cracking so that they fall apart at the seams.

Alice Band

PWME - ME by Ramsay
I wish you all the best Flex, you do have my support. Although I have tried to interest legal professionals I have failed.

Would you be able to start approaches some lawyers to see if you can get one to take an interest? Then after a legal opinion has been obtained, you can get a fighting fund set up. Money isn't always the biggest problem here (although if we had an enormous fund greedly lawyers would be attracted to spend it)

Mabe the Onelick group and the patients involved in the Judicial Review would be able to help you.

parvofighter

FLEX time!

Well done. Go get'em Flex! Articulate, hard-hitting, focused.:victory:

Have you considered contacting the AIDS advocacy organizations, and in particular their legal minds? I personally know that Hemophilia organizations are extremely concerned about the Blood Safety issue re: XMRV, as a result of transmission by blood products. But the AIDS community is also potentially vulnerable - particularly injection drug users who share needles. Who knows, maybe having both HIV and XMRV increases the likelihood of activation of XMRV. The AIDS lobby is powerful, exceptionally seasoned, savvy re: retroviruses, AND they may have many patients co-infected with XMRV. I wouldn't be surprised if AIDS lawyers would jump at the chance to flex their legal muscle for another retrovirus that may affect their community.

Timing is everything. Consider the ability of Science investigators to infect cells with virus transmitted in plasma, and the ensuing rapt attention by Jerry Holmberg (of US Blood Safety team fame) to the issues of infectivity by XMRV in blood. Someone on this forum said there would be a report from this team around January 12th. Then again, this was also promised for mid-November, and we're still waiting.

Bottom line, if (and I believe WHEN) the blood contamination report formally surfaces, this community will have phenomenal leverage in the medicolegal community, with multiple patient groups potentially affected.

flex

Thanks

above two posts for your support. Much of my agreed sentiment there. Laywers would be attracted to us if we had a large fund to spend and that would create the publicity that I keep saying we need. We can still win the argument even if we didnt win it in court by means of public scutiny.

The Blood issue is an excellent one. More Publicity. The blood service here in the UK does actually advise against donations from CFS patients but the Government doesnt tell anyone that.

Please submit and encourage more submittence of such issues that could be taken forward preliminary to laywers on behalf of the ME/CFS community worldwide so that no one individual is up against Wessley. With thousands of signatures we could take it forward on the basis of "IN THE PUBLIC INTEREST WE THE UNDERSIGNED WOULD LIKE TO BRING THE PRACTICES OF SIMON WESSELY IN TO QUESTION"

Again, it would have to be media and legally based!!

MEG

Flex, Welcome to the forums. Great idea, lot's to think about. Would we need to start by finding a lawyer to work with us? I would donate.

T

thefreeprisoner

Shocked...

Hi everybody,

I'm new here so please forgive me if you've all seen this before.
I've been reading these forums LOTS in the past few days. I thought everybody was being a bit hard on Simon Wessely - yes, we might not agree with him but why the personal and vitriolic attacks?

Then I read this:

As long ago as 1988, young people with ME were being subjected to psychiatric "distraction therapy"; the most well-known case is that of Ean Proctor from the Isle of Man, then a twelve year old boy who, against his parents' wishes and with no prior warning, was forcibly taken from his parents. A policeman was standing by and a Court Order had been obtained (which was supported - in writing-by Wessely).

Before being referred to doctors in London, Ean had been subjected to terrifying ordeals: his local doctors did not believe in ME so they devised activities which were designed to prove that the child's symptoms were simulated. One such "distraction therapy" involved taking the petrified child on a ghost train in the expectation that he would cry out in fear on 3rd June 1988 Wessely had written a letter saying that Ean's inability to speak was " elective mutism").

Ean's parents turned for help to the Isle of Man Tynwaid, whose report on the case reveals even more horrors (ref. Report of the Select Committee of Tynwald on the Petition for Redress of Grievance of Robin and Barbara Proctor, 1,C April 1991). This official report states: "At the time, Ean could not keep his balance, his legs were getting weak, his speech was much slower, he found it difficult to read and he could not keep his concentration. He could not feed himself because he could not move his arms; he could not stand. He was subsequently unable to speak". The report documents that during one admission to Nobles Hospital on the Isle of Man, whilst "paralysed, he was put in the swimming pool with no floating aids whatsoever. Mfs Proctor said that at this time, Ean could not move a finger and could not speak. Ean sank under the water" (page 14,3.15)
from this page: Corporate collusion (ME Research UK)

It reads like something out of a Victorian drama. The poor child. Almost like torture...

:eek::(:confused:

fresh_eyes

happy to be here
From my point of view, the situation in the UK is essentially a human rights issue. That's why I've thought that the agency to enlist in the fight against Wessely might be the WHO, which after all is dedicated to human rights around health issues, and also recognizes ME as an infectious disease of the nervous system.

flex

The WHO is definately another route, alongside all the other routes and bringers forth of evidence that could hit the Wessely School altogether. Any more suggestions?

freeprisoner, we have all seen that one before and hundreds more. Check out his links to the corporate medical insurance industry, and his flawed and preconcluded "research" projects that he gets his mates to publish in far reaching media circles.
Google Margaret Williams, Simon Wessely ME/CFS
Psychiatry is essentially religious dogma, a set of belief systems, it is not medicine nor is it objective, scientific or biological by its own definition. Being religious is okay but religious dogma is a different matter. So what are psychiatrists doing in scientific debate you might ask.

They are the priests form the middle age who said that people with epliepsy were possesed by demons, that people with MS were malingerers. They stand in the way of all medical and biological advancment and then say that people are "Medically unexplained"

The default diagnoses for someone who is medically unexplained, which really means medically underinvestigated in this corporate age is a "psychiatric illness".

Pain is now "pain disorder" etc .

This is all to do with a new age of medical practice which aims to lower the patients expectations of doctors and save money for insurance companies and the NHS by blaming the patient for their illness.

As far as I am concerned if you are not clucking like a chicken and you dont think you are Elvis you are not in need of a pyschiatric or mental illness label!!!

Sorry if that sounded a bit of a rant, its not aimed at you. Far from it.

Wecome to the forums.