• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

BREAKING NEWS: FDA is set to announce new warning on J&J vaccine after 100 reports of it being linked to the rare Guillain-Barré syndrome

YippeeKi YOW !!

Thought this would be of interest, especially in this community, where a certain wariness about the COVID-19 vax (born, no doubt, out of various experiences with the medical community) has kept some of the members here on the sidelines, waiting for more info to surface.

Probably even more interesting :nervous::nervous::nervous::nervous: to anyone who's already had the vaccine, and chose the one-and-done J&J version ...

BREAKING NEWS: FDA is set to announce new warning on J&J vaccine after 100 reports of it being linked to rare autoimmune disease Guillain-Barré syndrome
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/...notification&ci=303097&si=35219563&ai=9781291

• The FDA is planning to release a new warning that the Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine is linked to a rare autoimmune disease
  • Officials say there have been 100 reports of patients developing Guillain-Barré syndrome, a rare disorder that temporarily paralyzes parts of the body
  • Most the cases have occurred about two weeks after vaccination and mostly in men aged 50 and older
  • Guillain-Barré is very rare after vaccination, occurring in just 0.000781% of patients who have received J&J's one-dose shot
  • The warning presents another setback for the company, which has been plagued by challenges including a pause due to rare blood clots and ingredient mix-ups
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is said to have received about 100 preliminary reports of Guillain-Barré following the one-dose vaccine

Most the cases have occurred about two weeks after vaccination and mostly in men aged 50 and older.

With just 100 cases reported out of 12.8 million doses administered, this means the condition is very rare occurring in just 0.000781 percent of cases.

The warning is yet another setback for J&J's vaccine, which has plagued by pauses, ingredient mix-ups and doses needing to be thrown out.

Zebra

Hi, @YippeeKi YOW !!

I heard this on the news today. It was good of you to post it here, so folks who have received the J&J vaccine can monitor themselves for signs and symptoms of GBS.

I think it's important to note that there is a risk of developing Guillain-Barré Syndrome after more common vaccinations as well, such as flu, HPV, tetanus and a few others.

I've posted a quick link to the CDC website about this, but one can Google "vaccinations and Guillain-Barré Syndrome" and look for greater detail from other reputable sources.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccinesafety/concerns/guillain-barre-syndrome.html

Rufous McKinney

so folks who have received the J&J vaccine can monitor themselves for signs and symptoms of GBS.

my husband got J and J three weeks ago, a serious staph infection one week later in the same arm.

He is really angry about this. So he has tingling and other weird symptoms, the antiobiotic he had to take damaged his whole gut flora.

Why is that OK?

so now this...new risk, and little or no confidence in these doctors...

YippeeKi YOW !!

I've posted a quick link to the CDC website about this, but one can Google "vaccinations and Guillain-Barré Syndrome" and look for greater detail from other reputable sources.

Thanks @Zebra for posting that link with additional information ....

Sometime back, intrigued by the seemingly high number of PR members who were sensitive to MSG and glutamic acid/glutamate (myself included), I googled the various general contents of vaccines on a wild hare, and sure enough, almost all of them contained monosodium glutamate or some form of glutamate, sometimes several forms of it. I forget the rationale for its inclusion, but with so many of us sharing this oft pooh-poohed reaction, I found it interesting.

Not sure what, if anything, that has to do with your link. Brain is fractious today and I just had to assume that it had a reason for lobbing out that memory ....

Thanks again !!!

Revel

Back in March, I had a severe reaction to the AstraZeneca vaccine. It caused transient limb paralysis, which my doctor now believes was a "Guillain Barre-type" event. I have yet to fully recover.

Recently he asked if I would consider trying another vaccine, since I could not have the 2nd AstraZeneca dose and so am only partially covered. We agreed that, if it became absolutely necessary, I would opt for the Pfizer vaccine. He added that he couldn't guarantee that this would be safe for me either.

The problem with the current UK system is that, because I am over 50, I am not allowed to choose which vaccine I have. Even my GP is not allowed to instruct the vaccination centre to only give me Pfizer. All he can do is specify that I require "an alternative to AstraZeneca".

The idea that I could potentially end up with the J&J vaccine, an Adenovirus vector vaccine similar to AstraZeneca, fills me with dread.

I don't want to go through this again. Ever!

Rufous McKinney

I had a severe reaction to the AstraZeneca vaccine. It caused transient limb paralysis, which my doctor now believes was a "Guillain Barre-type" event. I have yet to fully recover.

Oh thats awful.....I'm so sorry this happened to you, its so difficult to know what to do.

The medical system treating us like children is just getting real old. And when you have a more serious condition like we do, we want to work with our own doctors. Ridiculous they won't follow your doctors recommendations for you specifically.

Maybe you need to consider how much exposure you actually have- with regard to risks of a second dose. The answer may be- you need the extra protection. Or maybe the partial protection you' ve gained, is enough to prevent a more serious reaction to COVID.

what a mess this is...