• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Brand New Rash with Petichiae. MCAS?

MariaMagdalena

Hi Everyone!

Please forgive if this has been discussed elsewhere. I'm at the end of my cognitive endurance for the day and can't deal with sorting through threads at the moment.

I developed 2 weird skin issues in the last week. This is highly unusual for me, but not unheard of in the long course of this illness.

I have isolated itchy bumps, mainly on my upper body, some itchy rashy patches on my neck and chest, and flat, purple tiny spots in the groin area that don't blanch so they are probably tiny bruising. They don't itch. Then I have just random itches that keep hitting me like someone is poking me with itchy pins in random places.

I've also had more headaches and a crash after a shower.

I have never investigated the possibility of MCAS, only recently even having heard of it. I'm wondering if people here have this and if they experience the same things.

Also if rashes and petichiae are a common part of ME/CFS?

SlamDancin

I’ve gotten several strange rashes (that Dr Bateman told me not to worry about) as I’ve done physical therapy to try and relieve what I believe is causing my ME/CFS which is increased cyclic stress caused by hypermobile ehlers danlos type symptoms, scoliosis, cervical straightening etc. My limbs and torso were essentially torsioned and as I’ve worked to detorsion those red patches have been breaking out. However I’m about 9 months in and one on my hips/abdomen that was hanging out for months finally receded. My ME/CFS symptoms are probably half as bad as they were 9 months ago. I believe local hypoxia in places torsioned the worst, mixed with the IDO trap, could cause an exosome mediated constant oxidative stress especially in tissues IDO is expressed. Just a theory but PT has definitely decreased symptoms objectively.

MTpockets

The crash from the shower could be caused by heat or from POTS symptoms. The random itchy spots are possibly nerve related. And the new little rashes could very well be some type of immune reaction. Have you changed anything lately?

MariaMagdalena

I started a bunch of supplements 6 weeks prior, but it might have taken this long to sensitize to something. I cut them all out 3 days ago and it seems to be resolving. I guess I'm going to have to very slowly add them back to see what it is I am reacting to. What a pain.

MTpockets

It's a good idea to add them in one at a time so you can immediately pinpoint which thing might be bothering you.