• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Brain pH, Permission to Vasoconstrict or Vasodilate

I have been looking at the pH of the brain, and also how the body perceives the forces in its environment. As you will recall from physics, we treat this as an inertial field, but I have been arguing that it is an inertia that masks two hidden forces—the exploding force, and the collapsing force. Illness results when these forces are out of balance. For instance, in Parkinson’s, I believe the exploding force is too high; and in ALS, the collapsing force is too high. If you look at photographs of Stephen Hawking over time, you can almost see the centripetal force on him.

My body’s perception of forces seems to directly affect the ability of my pupils and my blood vessels to dilate and/or constrict. I have suffered from acute photosensitivity, acute sound hypersensitivity, and issues with orthostatic intolerance. If I stand near a bank of elevators, my knees buckle and I feel I am going to lose consciousness.

One thing that has been hugely helpful for me lately is organic soy sauce. (I am in menopause, so my body may additionally be benefitting from the phytoestrogens in soy.) The sodium content supports my blood pressure dramatically and the K2 in fermented foods helps to provide accompanying dilation. To simply increase the blood pressure without also dilating is risky, and my brain will not permit it.

I often have an issue where my pupils and my blood vessels are too dilated but my brain will not give permission for me to vasoconstrict. Eating a very salty meal seems help with this. I am also able to give my brain the “acidity” signal it craves by applying organic jojoba oil or organic borage oil all over the skin.

My brain seems to always be reading the pH of its environment. If I want to feel truly terrible, all I have to do is drink a lot of fruit and vegetable smoothies. Far, far too alkaline for me; I start to lose brain function. I have seen a US patent application for LSD (“acid”) as a treatment for Alzheimer’s There is also peer review research showing small doses of psychedelics can treat migraine. When my brain reads the exploding, “acidic” force, it gives permission for me to constrict. However, if I read the environment as more acidic than it really is, I will constrict too much. If I read the environment as more alkaline than it really is, I will constrict too little.

As an experiment, take note of how your brain might be reading the pH of your environment. Also take note of how your brain might be perceiving forces. If you wear your hair back in a tight ponytail, this is a force. If you wear tight-fitting shoes (MS), this is a force. I do very, very poorly when I am around air conditioning condensers, or “looping” sounds (white noise). If the world is oscillating, my brain wants to accurately perceive the rate of oscillation.

Food, too, can influence the perception of forces. Spicy food can mimic the exploding force. Fermented food can mimic the collapsing force.

The most salient issue, in my opinion, is vasodilation and vasoconstriction, and the way these may be tied to pH, and the brain granting “permission” for each to take place. There seems to be a paradox at play. If I want to vasoconstrict—first I have to dilate. If I want to vasodilate—first I have to constrict.

I suspect that ME/CFS, vaccine injury, and Long Covid will ultimately be shown to be linked with the pH of the brain, and limitations on the body’s ability to vasoconstrict and vasodilate. When my brain is too alkaline, I do not have permission to vasoconstrict as much as I’d like. When my brain is too acidic, I do not have permission to vasodilate as much as I’d like. As we age, it is possible we (our brains) lose this pH range—but it can also be truncated dramatically by adverse events and exposures.

More here, if interested: https://www.hormonesmatter.com/author/alethea-black/