• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Brain inflammation research?

ljimbo423

I agree, but it's not as simple as taking an immunosuppressant. I've tried several that had no effect on my symptoms. It might be necessary to suppress one cytokine and support another. Maybe it's necessary to do both of those things and modify the HPA axis in a particular way.

I agree and what makes it all the more confusing to treat, is that many or most of us seem to have different cytokines that are high or low.

I was able to trigger temporary remissions in the first few years, so it isn't impossible to do it. I expect it would take more effort to trigger remission now. It might take several drugs, supplements, and whatever else to 'set the foundation' for something else to trigger remission.

I get the feeling that many of these dysfunctions support each other. I think the immune dysfunction is the first domino to fall so to speak. Causing all the other dysfunctions but the other dysfunctions' like mitochondrial dysfunction, oxidative stress, gut and brain dysfunctions.

Play some role in maintaining the immune system dysfunction, if that makes sense. Causing to some degree a self sustaining cycle. Also, as you say, the low grade brain inflammation (HPA axis etc.) could also be causing dysfunctions in the body, helping to perpetuate them.

Rufous McKinney

the low grade brain inflammation (HPA axis etc.) could also be causing dysfunctions in the body, helping to perpetuate them

In this body, time and time again: the message seems to be that I feel the best in a state of where I have (over the course of the 24 hour day), gotten the brain inflammation at its lowest, and the Mast Cell histamine reactions to their lowest. At this odd time of day, I can, for instance WAKE UP and BE Physically active for a while. Mitochondria feel like they are doing a little firing. (10-11-12 pm at nite).

This suggests to me that the inflammed squeeze TRIGGERS many of the symptoms. As all this tissue becomes less swollen and inflamed, less squeezed, everything in this body FEELS better and works better.

Wishful

I've only had a couple of viral infections since developing ME, but those infections triggered strong ME symptoms. I take that as evidence that certain types of immune system activation do trigger an increase in ME symptoms. However, I have a type I allergy (to some fungal spore I think), and even with my nose running like a fire hose, I don't experience any increase in my ME symptoms, so the mast cell and histamine response isn't linked to my ME.

Does anyone experience a consistent increase in ME symptoms when suffering a type I allergic response?

nyanko_the_sane

Because everyday is Caturday...
I've only had a couple of viral infections since developing ME, but those infections triggered strong ME symptoms. I take that as evidence that certain types of immune system activation do trigger an increase in ME symptoms. However, I have a type I allergy (to some fungal spore I think), and even with my nose running like a fire hose, I don't experience any increase in my ME symptoms, so the mast cell and histamine response isn't linked to my ME.

Does anyone experience a consistent increase in ME symptoms when suffering a type I allergic response?
There might be a very different kind of response going on with some ME peeps. Stress to the immune system could also cause those microglia to go into their angry state and pump out cytokines. I think what we experience as PEM might just be the result of an assault by our immune system on our nervous system. It is still too early to tell if this is actually the case, but it seems reasonable given the early study results.

I find that ME has made me more sensitive to allergies, I am triggered by a lot more things than usual at times. When this happens I have to stop eating, avoid everyone, wear a mask, and open the windows till I ride it out,

Rufous McKinney

When I was young I had severe allergies, including foods, misc. other things. They gradually subsided, but I suspect they morphed into: other versions .

So was that a type 1 allergic response when somebody covered in perfume walked in and my throat choked and gagged? I never sneezed. i choked.

Generally: if i get the flu or a bad cold, the ME symptoms become horrific. A mast cell-type reaction happens and my tongue doesn't fit inside my mouth: its all swollen along with everything else there.

I was often exposed to something and my coworkers would get the same thing. They are down for: a few hours, or an afternoon. Meanwhile: two weeks later, I'm still ill.

Wishful

I don't think the perfume response is a type I allergy. Viral infections don't count as allergies either; they trigger a different immune response (t-cells).