• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

BPC-157

NotThisGuy

yeah very affordable.

little more information from a reddit thread:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Nootropics..._a_healing_peptide_summary_of_known_benefits/

BPC-157 is a 15-amino acid long peptide, and a part of a naturally occurring peptide in the human stomach (BPC-157 is derived from human gastric juices). It is a signalling peptide; it signals for certain processes to take place in the body.

BPC-157 protects the body from injuries, and also helps it heal previously acquired injuries, and is currently undergoing human trials[1] . This is a list summing up most of the benefits this peptide is known to have (Source with citations) (4 of the references are not in the main source and were individually added):

Blood Pressure

1. BPC-157 increases blood pressure in rats with low blood pressure.
  2. BPC-157 decreases blood pressure in rats with high blood pressure.
Potassium Imbalance

1. BPC-157 protects from heart failure in a state of hyperkalemia (potassium overdose).
  2. BPC-157 protects from heart failure in a state of hypokalemia (potassium deficiency).
Calcium Imbalance

1. BPC-157 protects rats from damage (heart failure, pancreatitis, peptic ulcers) induced by hypercalcemia (calcium overdose).

2. BPC-157 protects rats from calcium channel blocker overdose.
Magnesium Imbalance

1. BPC-157 protects rats from hypermagnesemia (magnesium overdose).
Wound Healing

1. BPC-157 significantly improves healing after the following injuries: skin incisions; deep skin burns; various anastomoses as intestinal wounds; diabetic wounds; various fistulas; various tissue transections, particularly ligament, tendon, muscle and nerve. Healing time of all these injuries is significantly decreased with BPC-157 administration.

2. BPC-157 prevents scar tissue buildup after injury, and reduces already existing scar tissue.
Immune System

1. BPC-157 modulates the immune system activates macrophages in the immune system, which leads to increased production of growth factors that fight infections, ultimately strengthening the immune system.
NSAID side effects and toxicity

1. BPC-157 effectively reduces the side effects and toxicity of NSAIDs, particularly gastric, intestinal, liver and brain lesions, prolonged bleeding and various behavioural disturbances - all of these are significantly antagonized by BPC-157 administration.
Alcohol intoxication

1. BPC-157 prevents and inhibits the effect of alcohol acute intoxication, withdrawal, and acute and chronic gastric and liver lesions.
Antidepressant activity

1. BPC-157 has antidepressant effects in rats; it reduces immobility time in a forced swimming test[2] .
Opioid system

1. BPC-157 reduces withdrawal symptoms in morphine-addicted mice.
Dopamine system

1. BPC-157 reduces motor abnormalities and hyperactivity induced by the dopaminergic neurotoxin MPTP.

2. BPC-157 decreases chronic amphetamine-induced behavioral disturbances[3] .
Serotonin system

1. BPC-157 is effective against serotonin syndrome in rats[4] .
GABA system

1. BPC-157 significantly decreases diazepam tolerance, physical dependence and withdrawal symptoms in mice[5] .
Anti-cancer activity

1. BPC-157 significantly prolongs survival of rats with carcinoma and melanoma B-16 cancers, from 25 days to 45+ days.
Gastric ulcers

1. BPC-157 prevents development of gastric ulcers.

2. BPC-157 heals existing gastric ulcers by reducing the ulcer area and accelerating the rebuilding of glandular epithelium and formation of granulation tissue.
Inflammation, pain and body temperature

1. BPC-157 successfully reduces several models of acute, non-specific inflammation.

2. BPC-157 acts against temperature decrease (i.e. water immersion test) and increase (yeast- induced).

3. BPC-157 increases pain threshold in carrageenan test in rats.
Diabetes

1. BPC-157 increases healing of skin wounds in diabetic animals.

2. BPC-157 prevents fructose-induced high blood pressure.

3. BPC-157 inhibits the development of insulin resistance.
Nerve injury

1. BPC-157 improves healing of a transected sciatic nerve in rats, which is particularly shown as faster axonal regeneration.

2. BPC-157 strongly decreases the consequences of animal brain injuries induced by a falling weight.
Antiviral activity

1. BPC-157, given before infection of rats with hepatitis A virus, Lymphatic Choriomeningitis (LCM) virus and herpes virus types 1 and 2, completely prevented all signs of infection and disease.

2. BPC-157 given to rats after viral infection delays onset of disease symptoms and decreases death.
All citations to the papers demonstrating the benefits mentioned in the list can be found in the source linked at the top of the list (except for 4 which are stated in the list itself).

Fascinating stuff.
Especially the part about nitric oxide which I think is a great help for CFS

seems a little bit like a miracle peptide.

I saw a blog from a user here on PR who claimed he doesnt get PEM anymore while on peptides.
Unfortunately he never told us which peptide it was, but of all the Peptides going arround I can only guess it was either BPC-157 or a GHRP peptide ( or any other GH boosting peptide.

YGMf7hTbWvL87lzFYxO4W5TcTnmSk2No8R48cH4dCds.png

Interesting how it boosts the HPA

0gA1sVg0YoMMVDG2wGUpzf5xTCYsjeApAp-2R60-tnY.png

https://www.reddit.com/r/Peptides/wiki/index

Hip

I've tried several injectable peptide products that are available from body-builder's websites, and although body protecting compound 157 (BPC-157) was on my list of things to try, I have not got around to trying it yet.

Hip

What peptides did you take and was it of any help?

Mainly various growth hormone stimulating peptides and hormones like CJC-1295, ipamorelin, MK-677, IGF-1 LR3 which did not help (and neither did actual growth hormone injections which I later tried).

Human growth hormone (HGH) deficiency symptoms can mimic ME/CFS symptoms, so one of the reasons for taking these growth hormone stimulators was to check if I might have any HGH deficiency (my ME/CFS began after a viral brain infection, which potentially might have damaged my pituitary gland, creating HGH deficiency).

But interestingly enough, one person on this forum whose misdiagnosed ME/CFS years later turned out to be HGH deficiency found that these injectable HGH-stimulating peptides and hormones did not have any effect on her.

Whereas when she later tried actual HGH injections, then all her ME/CFS-like cognitive and mood symptoms disappeared almost immediately after the first HGH injection, although the physical symptoms took longer to get back to normal.

So it seems you may not always be able to use these HGH-stimulating peptides and hormones as a test for HGH deficiency, in cases like hers where the pituitary gland appears damaged and is no longer secreting HGH when stimulated. It's then only actual HGH that will rectify the HGH deficiency.

I also tried TB-500 (thymosin beta-4 fragment) 2 mg once weekly, and this may have helped reduce brain fog and increase mental clarity a bit, and boost mood, but the effect was not strong enough for me to say that definitely it worked, at least at the dose I took (and I only took these lowish doses for a short time of a few weeks).

Here are some notes about TB-500 that I copied from various websites:
TB-500 is a synthetic peptide that has many of the characteristics of the naturally-occurring hormone thymosin beta-4 (TB4). TB-500 is in fact a peptide segment (fragment) from the TB4 molecule.

Although TB-500 is not identical to TB4, it is often sold under that name. TB4 itself is an extremely pricey, rare research material that is not yet available to bodybuilding or to equine enhancement. So this is why TB-500 is used in place of TB4.

In the body, TB4 is produced is the thymus, a gland which is at its largest in children, atrophies as adulthood progresses, and is virtually non-existent in the elderly. It is also produced locally in various cells, and is particularly found in wound fluids, as well as in fairly high concentration in the cytoplasm of some cells.

In various studies, TB4 has been found able to promote various forms of wound healing, to promote differentiation of stem cells, and to reduce inflammation.

TB4 provides both neuroprotection and neurorestoration after traumatic brain injury. A study on the use of TB4 for the treatment of traumatic brain injury adds to the growing body of literature demonstrating the use of TB4 in neurological injury. The collective evidence of the neurorestorative properties of TB4 in animal models of multiple sclerosis, stroke and traumatic brain injury are compelling and we look forward to evaluating this drug in clinical trials," stated Dr. Dan Morris.

The healing effect of TB-500 can be improved by combining TB-500 with a growth hormone releasing peptide such as GHRP-2, GHRP-6, ipamorelin or hexarelin, or with a growth hormone releasing peptide plus some CJC-1295.

TB-500 has been known to promote at least partial regrowth of hair which has been lost to male-pattern baldness, to darken at least a portion of hair which has grayed, and is reported to enhance muscle mass in horses.

An ordinary course of TB-500 is about 4 or 5 mg per week, for example at 2 mg twice per week, taken for 4 to 6 weeks. Where an injury has been really chronic, this is typically followed by maintenance use at a lesser rate. There’s no standard method so far as I know, but in my opinion 1 mg per week is reasonable.

frozenborderline

Mainly various growth hormone stimulating peptides and hormones like CJC-1295, ipamorelin, MK-677, IGF-1 LR3 which did not help (and neither did actual growth hormone injections which I later tried).

Human growth hormone (HGH) deficiency symptoms can mimic ME/CFS symptoms, so one of the reasons for taking these growth hormone stimulators was to check if I might have any HGH deficiency (my ME/CFS began after a viral brain infection, which potentially might have damaged my pituitary gland, creating HGH deficiency).

But interestingly enough, one person on this forum whose misdiagnosed ME/CFS years later turned out to be HGH deficiency found that these injectable HGH-stimulating peptides and hormones did not have any effect on her.

Whereas when she later tried actual HGH injections, then all her ME/CFS-like cognitive and mood symptoms disappeared almost immediately after the first HGH injection, although the physical symptoms took longer to get back to normal.

So it seems you may not always be able to use these HGH-stimulating peptides and hormones as a test for HGH deficiency, in cases like hers where the pituitary gland appears damaged and is no longer secreting HGH when stimulated. It's then only actual HGH that will rectify the HGH deficiency.

I also tried TB-500 (thymosin beta-4 fragment) 2 mg once weekly, and this may have helped reduce brain fog and increase mental clarity a bit, and boost mood, but the effect was not strong enough for me to say that definitely it worked, at least at the dose I took (and I only took these lowish doses for a short time of a few weeks).

Here are some notes about TB-500 that I copied from various websites:
What do you think about the use of thymosin alpha 1 in me/cfs? My doctor explained that he thinks it could be more helpful than immunoglobulin (sucutaneous Or iv) Bc of it being more stimulatory to T cells than immunoglobulin and so More helpful from an antiviral standpoint. I personally think my immune suppression is possibly due to mold but I do have viral flare ups that are obvious sometimes and also my illness started w lyme. I also have Labs that to my doctors have justified antivirals in the past,high titers of ebv, coxsackie b3, cmv, hhv-6. PLus low igg and low iga. He said that T cells aren’t usually low In his cfs patients but he suspects they may not be working right ans that thymosin may really help. It’s sort of expensive (300$) for a months supply , but would be worth it if it helps much at all

Hip

What do you think about the use of thymosin alpha 1 in me/cfs? My doctor explained that he thinks it could be more helpful than immunoglobulin (sucutaneous Or iv) Bc of it being more stimulatory to T cells than immunoglobulin and so More helpful from an antiviral standpoint.

I've briefly tried a similar peptide called thymosin beta 4 (aka TB-500), but have no experience or knowledge of thymosin alpha 1. Both can be bought on body-building websites selling injectable peptides (the links are to peptidesciences.com which sell them). I did not notice much from beta 4, but due to cost, I only injected 2 mg once a week for a month.

Here are some notes I copied about thymosin beta 4:
TB4 provides both neuroprotection and neurorestoration after traumatic brain injury. A study on the use of TB4 for the treatment of traumatic brain injury adds to the growing body of literature demonstrating the use of TB4 in neurological injury. The collective evidence of the neurorestorative properties of TB4 in animal models of multiple sclerosis, stroke and traumatic brain injury are compelling and we look forward to evaluating this drug in clinical trials," stated Dr. Dan Morris.

An ordinary course of TB-500 is about 4 or 5 mg per week, for example at 2 mg twice per week, taken for 4 to 6 weeks. Where an injury has been really chronic, this is typically followed by maintenance use at a lesser rate. There’s no standard method so far as I know, but in my opinion 1 mg per week is reasonable.

junkcrap50

I personally think my immune suppression is possibly due to mold but I do have viral flare ups that are obvious sometimes and also my illness started w lyme.
What are these "viral flare ups" like? Are they like getting a cold/flu randomly and displaying sickness behavior (headaches, chills, malaise, irritability, self-isolation, darkening & silencing of room, sweatpants + sweatshirt w/ hoodie up + lots of blankets, in bed all day, etc.) I would get these and used to think they were viral flare ups, but now consider them more to be brain inflammation flare-ups. Thymosin Alpha-1 and Beta-4 both helped minimize and mostly eliminate these "flare-ups" for me. But I attribute them more to minimizing inflammation and not necessarily suppressing viruses. I believe that these types of flare-ups, especially in lyme (which people false attribute to "herxing") are also flare-ups of inflammation and not necessarily lyme still being present.

It’s sort of expensive (300$) for a months supply , but would be worth it if it helps much at all
Yes. It's quite expensive. What's your doctor's source or pharmacy? I get mine from TailorMade Pharmacy, but am lucky that I get it "at cost" or wholesale "doctor's price", because a parent is a physician. It is roughly ~50% cheaper than the recommended price for patients. I pay ~$110 each per month, I think.

I would consider a research peptide website, if you feel comfortable doing so. It's much cheaper, I think ~$80 for month of one of the Thymosins. Some seem pretty safe and widely used by bobybuilder-types.

I've briefly tried a similar peptide called thymosin beta 4 (aka TB-500), but have no experience or knowledge of thymosin alpha 1. Both can be bought on body-building websites selling injectable peptides (the links are to peptidesciences.com which sell them). I did not notice much from beta 4, but due to cost, I only injected 2 mg once a week for a month.

Here are some notes I copied about thymosin beta 4:

Interesting you took it q-weekly, as in 1x/week and not more regularly, in smaller doses. (Not that I have any knowledge of how one is "supposed" to take these peptides.) I take both Thymosin Alpha-1 and Thymosin Beta-4 ~500mcg daily/qd. When starting them, say first 6-9 months, if I missed 1-3 days of these peptides (because I was lazy, felt bad, or tired of pricking myself with shots), I would notice a return of symptoms (inflammation). It's also recommended that you "cycle" these Thymosin peptides, but no one can explain why [edit: provides an explanation why]. I never did because I felt I would be worse off if I did. So I've taken them for 13 months straight now.

EDIT: re: cycling. no one provides an explanation why

Last edited:

Hip

It's interesting that you havre taken these thymosin peptides daily for over a year, @junkcrap50.

I would agree that the anti-inflammatory effects of these peptides might be their main benefit for ME/CFS, as I noticed this effect after taking thymosin beta 4. I felt reduced throat inflammation and soreness, and a reduction in the feeling inflammation in my head. This also translated into feeling more relaxed and calm mentally (my view is that anxiety may be caused by the glutamate released by brain inflammation).

I tried BPC-157 orally for leaky gut / IBS and both from what I've read and from personal experience it's cheap, safe and easy to use. I personally did not notice any improvement, but I know a lot of patients reported positive results. It certainly seems worth a shot. My one objection with peptides is that the quality control might not always be stellar.

This is purely anecdotal, but a lot of posters on the body building forums seems to think that the HGH-stimulating peptides are weak sauce compared to actual HGH.

Lieselotte

I listened to this podcast: https://functionalforum.com/podcast-immunometabolism-the-next-frontier-in-systems-biology/

In it, the doctor talks about one part of the treatment for Lyme and mold induced chronic fatigue being peptides, namely BPC 157 and another one, called Vasoactive Intestinal Peptide (VIP). The BPC 157 is to turn off neuroinflammation and the VIP purportedly as a final piece down the healing path to restore normal mitochondrial function.

Has anyone been put on BPC with VIP? Or heard of/tried VIP?

junkcrap50

Has anyone been put on BPC with VIP? Or heard of/tried VIP?
Yes I have. But I was on other things at the same time. I was already on BPC when I added VIP. I noticed nothing adding VIP and stopping VIP. When I stopped BPC, I didn't notice anything.

I was on Thymosin Alpha and Thymosin Beta throughout this. I attribute both Thymosins to making a huge difference for me, which I've described in other posts of mine.

leela

I've been taking BPC-157 three times a week orally for about 2 months and it has made an enormous difference in my overall body pain. I'd say 75% reduced just at the 3X/week dosage. It's been a godsend, quite frankly.
No difference in brainflamm, but a remarkable reduction of bodyflamm.

I had been using VIP nasal spray for some time before with no result, despite my doc's insistence it would be great for me. I think VIP simply can't do its thing if you still have mycotoxins (which I do.)

I'm about to start Thymosin alpha 1 next week subQ. Hope it gives me the results!

Thanks to all for posting your experiences, and thanks @junkcrap50 for pointing to your great threads on these peptides.

Isn't it fantastic to find something that works, or even helps, after so many years of throwing things at this crap disease?

ETA: I should add the BPC did nothing for PEM, migraine or dysautonomia. For me it was strictly a body-pain-squasher, with a mildy positive effect on my poor digestion.

Last edited by a moderator:

leela

you can take BPC-157 also orally.
since it is supposed to be produced by the stomach it might get the best benefit for gut related issues by oral intake.
yes, this is originally why my doc recommended it to me, in oral form. While it has had a noticeable effect (but not stunning) on my gut issues, it's likely the bodywide inflammation was a result of gut stuff that maybe this peptide is slowly healing? Just a guess. Still, really glad to have it in active rotation.

Yuno

I've been taking BPC-157 three times a week orally for about 2 months and it has made an enormous difference in my overall body pain. I'd say 75% reduced just at the 3X/week dosage. It's been a godsend, quite frankly.

I had been using VIP nasal spray for some time before with no result, despite my doc's insistence it would be great for me. I think VIP simply can't do its thing if you still have mycotoxins (which I do.)

I'm about to start Thymosin alpha 1 next week subQ. Hope it gives me the results!

Thanks to all for posting your experiences, and thanks @junkcrap50 for pointing to your great threads on these peptides.

Isn't it fantastic to find something that works, or even helps, after so many years of throwing things at this crap disease?

ETA: I should add the BPC did nothing for PEM, migraine or dysautonomia. For me it was strictly a body-pain-squasher, with a mildy positive effect on my poor digestion.

That’s great to hear! Do you have a trustworthy source for BPC -157?

junkcrap50

That's great to hear. The research on BPC is pretty impressive. Just because it didn't work for me, doesn't mean it won't work for anyone else.

Also, it may have helped me, but I started BPC, Thymosin Alpha, Thymosin Beta all 3 together at the same time. When I stopped BPC, but continued the other two, I kept my benefits, so that's why I attribute my improvement to the Thymosins.

Lieselotte

@leela thanks for the update! Please do let us know how Thymosin alpha 1 is working for you in a few weeks.

It seems the VIP nasal spray may only be for certain people or for final stages of healing.
But, I am encouraged that you have had benefits from the BPC 157. I still mean to give that a shot, especially given that my gut can use any help it can get.