• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

bought a new used car that makes me so so sick.......new problem, anyone else?

geraldt52

I've never heard of a modern ford being reliable...

They were one of the standards for police, fire and taxi for many years, for good reason. The long wheelbase and the soft suspension of the civilian version make them as close to a "70s boat" that would still be available as modern, well kept, low mileage cars.

Mouse girl

Yes, I saw they were cop cars, I was wondering how the police could rely on fords, but perhaps these are some of the good ones. I also looked for any for sale anywhere even romotely near me and they had accidents and many miles and many owners. so it maybe more difficult to find such cars in a city where people spend hours a day communting. I live in the land of traffic and freeways. But, it's good to know. I don't know what i"m going to do. I'm pretty paniced and I'm so sick it's a bit terrifying really because I have to much to do and am in tempory housing too far from docs and things I know so I driving was the one thing I always had and needed. So, I didn't sell the rx just cus I had so much anxiety. I'll see if I can let out the air and just see if i can rest for some time, fingers crossed because all kinds of things keep coming up since i foolishly moved. But maybe I'm extra sensitive since I'm sicker but since I've never had this before even in my really sick years, it's scary. I love all the advice though, it's very helpful. Trying to take it one day at a time. Such a stressful time in my country anyways, it's all too much. This disease is not survival friendly.

Wishful

@Mouse girl , since you reacted to the vibrating sander, you might try experimenting with location, to see if any particular part of your body is most sensitive. If, for example, it's at the base of your skull, maybe the doctors can do something about that, and then you wouldn't have a problem finding a suitable car. It also might help you avoid worse medical problems, since something like CCI can probably cause other problems.

Mouse girl

@Mouse girl , since you reacted to the vibrating sander, you might try experimenting with location, to see if any particular part of your body is most sensitive. If, for example, it's at the base of your skull, maybe the doctors can do something about that, and then you wouldn't have a problem finding a suitable car. It also might help you avoid worse medical problems, since something like CCI can probably cause other problems.

It's the whole body sensitive to vibrating stuff. Just like my whole body is sensitive to everything. It's my nervous system reacting to the vibrating, not like an localized pain when you hit your head or repetitive motion injury or a movement that causes local pain. I have met other ME patients who've had really bad reactions to driving or movements such as spinning etc. I think part of me is stuck in the past when forums had more people before facebook made real communication a thing of the past.

CCI? Well, I have the super tight thing at the base of the skull like other ME patients. I don't know anyone or anything that can be done about that. Are you talking about the incredibly expensive, dangerous and needing round the clock care of spinal surgery that has helped that lovely woman who started ACtionME? I've wondered about that myself although, I haven't had symptoms that others have had with that, such as the not being able to breathe or move and needing someone to help them move. I've been interested in checking out one of the what, 5 docs or 3 docs that could help but still don't think I could risk surgery. And how do these people even pay for surgery and 24 hour care? I mean, if they aren't a senator's family member or in the director's guild of America or something as rare?

I just need to sort out this car thing. I also thought I could try driving for just a few minutes and see if I could build up? I'm really doing poorly and have been having neuro syptoms and more migraines since I had a hellish move but my health really caved in after I got rid of my old old car and been dealing with this weird car issue.

Last edited:

Wishful

Thumbs up for Rain-X or other brands of same thing. When freshly applied, I can drive in the rain without needing the wipers, at least at highways speeds. The antifog product was horrible, making it even harder to see and very difficult to wipe off.

I also thought I could try driving for just a few minutes and see if I could build up?

Maybe, but it doesn't really sound like the kind of problem that you can increase your tolerance to. You could try it with a vibrator, safely at home, so you don't add the other factors of being in a car. If you can't increase your tolerance that way, it won't work with a car either.

If you could figure out whether you're more sensitive to certain frequencies, there might be ways to deal with that. There are a lot of techniques available for vibration reduction, since it's important for industrial processes.

Wishful

That could very well be it too, thorough cleaning of the interior glass could help.

I'm pretty sure that I did a thorough cleaning of the glass before applying the antifog fluid, and followed the directions. I think it made the droplets of 'fog' smaller, but it still interfered with sight, and unlike before treatment, I couldn't wipe this fog off. Very dangerous for driving. I think I resorted to harsh chemicals and lots of rubbing to remove the treatment. That's a pity, since the Rain-X product is really effective at improving visibility in rain. It makes it easier to clean bug remains off the glass too. :thumbsup:

IThinkImTurningJapanese

I'm pretty sure that I did a thorough cleaning of the glass before applying the antifog fluid, and followed the directions.

Sorry I wasn't clearer. I was referring to @Mouse girl 's problem. I've avoided using Rain-X's interior anti-fog due to reviews like yours.

I've had coffee oil causing problems with glare, from my wife placing hot coffee in the cupholder. I just used ample amounts of generic Windex. I've become so accustomed to clear glass with the Rain-X, that I'm not comfortable allowing it to stay dirty.

Driving in Japan is challenging. :D