• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Books on neuroscience & mind/body healing, harnessing placebo etc.?

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I'm looking for books on science-based psychological practices for physical healing. There's good evidence from experiments, for example, that meditation helps the immune system and wound healing (Buddha's Brain, written by a neuropsychologist) so I have started meditating.

I've just ordered The Healing Mind by a professor of behavioural biology on psychoneuroimmunology (I don't know that he offers any suggestions for how to use it, though) and The Balance Within, by a neuroscientist (ditto on the suggestions).

Any recommendations? I'm not looking for general self-help, positive thinking stuff written by non-scientists or anything spiritual. I'm after experiment-based stuff written by scientists, especially stuff based on the last ten years of scientific research because that has been a very fast-moving period in neuroscience.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Hi baccarat - I've read Full Catastrophe Living by Kabat-Zinn and use his meditation CDs, which are very good. I found the book a bit long and over-repetitive but very good for convincing yourself that you need to be meditating!

Rufous McKinney

This new book looks interesting.....regarding how the body is a whole organism and the communication systems..

https://thriveglobal.com/stories/dr-jon-lieff-try-to-help-whenever-possible/

Excerpt:

Was there a “tipping point” that led you to this idea? Can you tell us that story?

My blog was started in 2011 called Searching for the Mind. I was trying to decipher what mind was in nature by looking at peer reviewed science articles from the best journals. Each week, I would write a detailed review of the literature in the fields of neuroscience, microbiology, immunology, molecular biology, and animal science. I was basically translating impossible to understand chemical jargon into English for those interested in biological science. Finding more and more intelligence in small brains, even in insects, led me to microbes and cells. I found that just like neurons in the brain circuits, literally all cells were talking to each other. The more I wrote about different cells the more I realized that everything in biology is based on these conversations. I did not see any books on this topic, so I realized it was time to write my book.

Sickness behavior...from the brain...may be discussed in this book.