• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

BMAA toxin - ALS, Alzheimer's & Parkinson's...

merylg

These two toxins are similar to BMAA. I see maybe a connection to the toxicity seen in Autism & ADHD from Propionic Acid?

"The consumption of large quantities of
Lathyrus grain containing high concentrations of the glutamate analogue neurotoxin β-oxalyl-L-α,β-diaminopropionic acid (ODAP, also known as β-N-oxalyl-amino-L-alanine, BOAA) causes paralysis, characterized by lack of strength in or inability to move the lower limbs. A unique symptom of lathyrism is theatrophy of gluteal muscles (buttocks). ODAP is a poison of mitochondria leading to excess cell death, especially in motor neurons."

Related conditions

A related disease has been identified and named osteolathyrism, because it affects the bones and connecting tissues, instead of the nervous system. It is a skeletal disorder, caused by the toxin beta-aminopropionitrile (BAPN), and characterized by hernias, aortic dissection, exostoses, and kyphoscoliosis and other skeletal deformities, apparently as the result of defective aging of collagen tissue. The cause of this disease is attributed to beta-aminopropionitrile, which inhibits the copper-containing enzyme lysyl oxidase, responsible for cross-linking procollagen and proelastin. BAPN is also a metabolic product of a compound present in sprouts of grasspea, pea and lentils.[8]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lathyrism

alex3619

Lets presume that these toxins are generally not consumed enough to cause the diseases llisted in people with ME. What happens when we absorb smaller amounts of a number of similar toxin? What about when this is combined with other toxins?

I am not convinced of the toxin theory of ME, but I am not convinced its wrong either. So much work could have been done by scientists on such toxins over the last several decades but I suspect vested interests were alarmed at where it might lead. Zombie science rides again ...

Then there is the issue of how toxin affected tissues react during a viral infection. It may well perturb their response sufficiently to cause additional problems. So many questions, we need more answers.

BMAA and similar toxins are certainly the right kind of toxins to fit with various theories of ME, including the tenth paradigm model of Martin L Pall.

Bye, Alex

wastwater

BMMA the toxin made by cyanobacteria replacing l serine,maybe a link there for lake tahoe
Causing misfolded protein

Last edited: