• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Blurred Vision & Other Eye Symptoms?

Hello,

I have been trying to get my b-vitamin supplements correct... Yea, right! and have noticed some strange eye symptoms that I think might be related to the supplements.

1. For most of my life I feel like I have had an intermittent film on my eyes that tends to affect focus of my eyes. Now, at age 65, my eyes can no longer focus independently and must use glasses. So this has nothing to do with the focusing muscles in my eyes since my eyes have "solidified".

Now that I have started focusing on b-vitamin supplements, and especially thiamine, I am noticing periods of vision clarity that I haven't seen before. It is like the film on my eyes has been lifted. Unfortunately, this comes and goes and I can't really tie it to taking / not taking specific supplements.

2. Tearing and burning - My eyes are normally not dry so dryness isn't causing the issue. The burning feels like getting sweat in your eyes in the summer. However, it is still winter here. It feels like something in/on my eyelids causes the burning when it gets into my eyes. This causes tearing which releases more of whatever is causing burning making it worse, etc. I have also noticed that the wind can also cause the tearing and burning cycle to begin.

Can any of you shed any insight into these symptoms? Could the burning be related to oxalates and dumping?

Rufous McKinney

I was wondering why the dry eyes eye drops, like simply Visene, burns my eyes so badly and what does that mean?

have some special thiamine I"ve not been brave enough to take, yet. (months later).

maybe the ph of your tears are off somehow.....

have some special thiamine I've not been brave enough to take, yet. (months later).

What kind? Just be sure to go low and slow and to take magnesium aspartate with it.

maybe the ph of your tears are off somehow...
No, the tears aren't causing the irritation it is whatever the tears are washing off of my eyelids is causing the irritation.

Rufous McKinney

What kind? Just be sure to go low

my friend called: telling me to try All Thiamine as it was helping her Mom with some neurological things.

I bought Allithiamine (Ecological Formulas brand)....50 mg
and biotin and charcoal...

and ALL THAT is still sealed up. Out of fear of detox and HERXING.

I didn't know charcoal would actual cause a detox, I thought was supposed to absorb and neutralize EGAD.

I am off ALL my protocols which isn't good. (blame getting real sick gastroperesis Nov 28)

including- my chinese herbs and the lymph cleanse I seem to never get to the other side of.

I'm in big personal self-trouble and flagellating myself with wet noodles.

How do you people do this supplement slog? I am just so not cut out for this, while my husband cannot go an hour with out swallowing another 30 pills...........

sometexan84

Hello,

I have been trying to get my b-vitamin supplements correct... Yea, right! and have noticed some strange eye symptoms that I think might be related to the supplements.

1. For most of my life I feel like I have had an intermittent film on my eyes that tends to affect focus of my eyes. Now, at age 65, my eyes can no longer focus independently and must use glasses. So this has nothing to do with the focusing muscles in my eyes since my eyes have "solidified".

Now that I have started focusing on b-vitamin supplements, and especially thiamine, I am noticing periods of vision clarity that I haven't seen before. It is like the film on my eyes has been lifted. Unfortunately, this comes and goes and I can't really tie it to taking / not taking specific supplements.

2. Tearing and burning - My eyes are normally not dry so dryness isn't causing the issue. The burning feels like getting sweat in your eyes in the summer. However, it is still winter here. It feels like something in/on my eyelids causes the burning when it gets into my eyes. This causes tearing which releases more of whatever is causing burning making it worse, etc. I have also noticed that the wind can also cause the tearing and burning cycle to begin.

Can any of you shed any insight into these symptoms? Could the burning be related to oxalates and dumping?
Have you had an ophthalmologist look for Uveitis? It prob would not be related to Vit B... but it is something that can happen to us, due to increased bacteria in our bodies and increased autoimmunity.

That said, if you haven't had mouth or genital sores, or sore throat, ear tenderness, odd smells from sweat/urine/stool, or rashes..... then, it's way less likely that it's uveitis.

Have you had an ophthalmologist look for Uveitis? It prob would not be related to Vit B... but it is something that can happen to us, due to increased bacteria in our bodies and increased autoimmunity.

That said, if you haven't had mouth or genital sores, or sore throat, ear tenderness, odd smells from sweat/urine/stool, or rashes..... then, it's way less likely that it's uveitis.

Thanks for the tip! Based on the symptoms I don't have the characteristic "red eye" symptom.

I used to have dry cracking skin on my palms and easily chapped lips which seems to have been "fixed" with b-vitamin supplements. I am also noticing significantly more skin cell shredding from the inside of my mouth. I am now wondering if t he same thing is happening on my eyelids which may be causing the burning sensation when they get washed into my eyes.

Oliver3

What kind? Just be sure to go low and slow and to take magnesium aspartate with it.

No, the tears aren't causing the irritation it is whatever the tears are washing off of my eyelids is causing the irritation.
I think it's extremely dry eyes. I have this

linusbert

i also have trouble with very dry eyes.
last night i was seeing ok with both eyes, fell asleep for a short nap and then woke up with left eye not beeing able to see anything clearly. i couldnt read with the left eye no matter how near the text was. it was insane.
normalized within 30-60 minutes.

when i slept i think my eye was half open and also i think dry air from radiator must have worked on my eye. because the first thing i noticed was that my eye felt so dry when waking up.

sometimes i also have like clouds or something which blurrs vision like if glasses are full of dirt (when they aren't)

how to fix these dry eyes?
b vitamins seam to not help.

i also have trouble with very dry eyes.
last night i was seeing ok with both eyes, fell asleep for a short nap and then woke up with left eye not beeing able to see anything clearly. i couldnt read with the left eye no matter how near the text was. it was insane.
normalized within 30-60 minutes.

when i slept i think my eye was half open and also i think dry air from radiator must have worked on my eye. because the first thing i noticed was that my eye felt so dry when waking up.

sometimes i also have like clouds or something which blurrs vision like if glasses are full of dirt (when they aren't)

how to fix these dry eyes?
b vitamins seam to not help.

Muscarinic acetylcholine receptors are what signal secretion of tears from the lacrimal glands. Getting more choline may help especially if you don't much in your diet.

linusbert

Muscarinic acetylcholine receptors are what signal secretion of tears from the lacrimal glands. Getting more choline may help especially if you don't much in your diet.
thats interesting, how much choline would i need? i eat 2 whole eggs every other day. and daily 100g hard cheese. any other good source?
this dry eye issue i have for over 20 years when i still was healthy and young and "strong".

also i suffer from dry skin and dry mucosas. nose, ears, everything is dry. do you have any idea for that?
is that cholin related as well?

thats interesting, how much choline would i need? i eat 2 whole eggs every other day. and daily 100g hard cheese. any other good source?
this dry eye issue i have for over 20 years when i still was healthy and young and "strong".

also i suffer from dry skin and dry mucosas. nose, ears, everything is dry. do you have any idea for that?
is that cholin related as well?
Acetylcholine is needed to secrete saliva, mucus (in your nasal passages but also in your gut), sweat, sebum (which keeps skin moist), tears, stomach acid. This is why one of the symptoms of anticholinergic medication toxicity is being "dry as a bone". Same can happen in choline deficiency which causes the same issue of low acetylcholine activity.

You need at least the RDA of 550mg a day. That may not even be enough for some people but if you dont even get the bare minimum to prevent deficiency I would start there. You only get 300mg of choline from 2 eggs. Cheeses lose a lot of nutrients due to the way they are processed. Dairy is not that good for choline but cheese has even less, almost none in the grand scheme of things. The only other decent choline sources are meat and seafood, especially fatty meat (like chicken wings). But eggs are the best and most convenient source of choline. So I would suggest either double up the amount of eggs you eat, or significantly increase meat intake. Ideally you should do both to raise dietary choline intake.

If you eat 4 eggs that alone will give you 587mg, enough for the RDA level. You may do better with even more choline. But yeh basically eggs are the best, meat and seafood are second best but you need to eat quite a bit of meat to put a dent into choline intake. These foods are where most people get their choline. 6 oz of cooked 93/7 ground beef for example gives you about 148 mg, which is equivalent to one egg's worth of choline.

Other thing that can help overall dryness is zinc. Red meat is the best source.

linusbert

oh boy, and that 2 eggs are just every other day. its more like 1 day a egg on average.
i get really nasty weight gains after eating to many eggs, thats why i cant do 4 or even 2 every day. i also suspect it makes my diabetes worse somehow.

i used to eat liver sausage. but i am now allergic to the spice they use. its sooo freaking annoying.
(this pisses me almost the most about this disease, you cannot even do something about it. this disease like protects itself from beeing treated, by blocking all ways to change something, its the devil - sorry short outburst of frustration!)

so i guess i need to go with the supplement route then?

Nord Wolf

The Northman
Can any of you shed any insight into these symptoms?
I don’t have a guess as to what you have going on with the details you and others laid out, but there is one thing that might assist.

When I was in training for spec ops we were told the medicinal value of first morning urine. Yes keep an open mind for a moment. At night when we sleep it is said that our bodies create antibodies to things ailing us, and places them into the first morning urine. This is specifically acute to wounds and injuries. We were instructed to wash wounds with first morning urine when we had nothing else to keep away infection, or even kill present infection. We were also instructed, if captured, to drink the first morning urine to support our immunity and ability to withstand torture.

Sadly, I have utilized this for each of those situations.

In the past I used first morning urine to rinse my eyes and successfully cure infections many times. I used it to kill infections of wounds received in humid jungle regions as well. Today, anytime my eyes are irritated I use first morning urine rinses, always with success.

Never use urine beyond the first morning void, as the body begins shedding toxins through urine past the first void. I collect the first void in a clean jar. I use a glass eye cup to rinse my eyes, holding the eye in the liquid for as long as possible, or comfortable. The rest I store in a sealed jar in the fridge for the day. Use the cold liquid to rinse the eyes anytime you feel the need throughout the day. At days end, flush the rest and start new in the morning.

My wife uses this method to treat allergy symptoms of the eye. I know three people who successfully treated early stage cataracts using this method.

Like I said, I’ve no idea what you have going on, but perhaps this is worth a shot?

linusbert

I don’t have a guess as to what you have going on with the details you and others laid out, but there is one thing that might assist.

When I was in training for spec ops we were told the medicinal value of first morning urine. Yes keep an open mind for a moment. At night when we sleep it is said that our bodies create antibodies to things ailing us, and places them into the first morning urine. This is specifically acute to wounds and injuries. We were instructed to wash wounds with first morning urine when we had nothing else to keep away infection, or even kill present infection. We were also instructed, if captured, to drink the first morning urine to support our immunity and ability to withstand torture.

Sadly, I have utilized this for each of those situations.

In the past I used first morning urine to rinse my eyes and successfully cure infections many times. I used it to kill infections of wounds received in humid jungle regions as well. Today, anytime my eyes are irritated I use first morning urine rinses, always with success.

Never use urine beyond the first morning void, as the body begins shedding toxins through urine past the first void. I collect the first void in a clean jar. I use a glass eye cup to rinse my eyes, holding the eye in the liquid for as long as possible, or comfortable. The rest I store in a sealed jar in the fridge for the day. Use the cold liquid to rinse the eyes anytime you feel the need throughout the day. At days end, flush the rest and start new in the morning.

My wife uses this method to treat allergy symptoms of the eye. I know three people who successfully treated early stage cataracts using this method.

Like I said, I’ve no idea what you have going on, but perhaps this is worth a shot?
sounds interesting! but my urine has as much sugar as a sofftdrink and also diabetes meds. so better not for me but for others here might work. i'd like to hear reports if somebody tested it.

i also read that they sell camel urine in capsules for health purposes. i really considered it.

(sigh, this shows how desperate us folks are ... eating pee and sh*t... even paying for it).

Nord Wolf

The Northman
i also read that they sell camel urine in capsules for health purposes. i really considered it.
Heard about it but never tried it for anything.
but my urine has as much sugar as a sofftdrink and also diabetes meds.
Humm, yea probably not the best idea then...
sigh, this shows how desperate us folks are
No exaggeration there. I remember the first time I used first morning urine as medicine. I was in South America and had received a nasty wound on my arm from an assailants machete. It was deep and I was two days from extraction. By the end of the day it had already begun to fester. The next morning I literally soaked a piece of my shirt and tied it around the wound. By the time I had reached a medic he said it was the best thing I could have done and there was no infection.
Anyway, that has nothing to do with this thread... sorry o_O
But yes desperation and need breeds interesting trials.

Nord Wolf

The Northman
Now that I have started focusing on b-vitamin supplements, and especially thiamine, I am noticing periods of vision clarity that I haven't seen before.
What type/form of thiamine are you taking and dose? My wife and I just started taking sublingual thiamine mononitrate at 100mg per morning. It has only been a few days but I am interested to see if I notice anything. I've talked about my eye issues in other threads...

oh boy, and that 2 eggs are just every other day. its more like 1 day a egg on average.
i get really nasty weight gains after eating to many eggs, thats why i cant do 4 or even 2 every day. i also suspect it makes my diabetes worse somehow.

i used to eat liver sausage. but i am now allergic to the spice they use. its sooo freaking annoying.
(this pisses me almost the most about this disease, you cannot even do something about it. this disease like protects itself from beeing treated, by blocking all ways to change something, its the devil - sorry short outburst of frustration!)

so i guess i need to go with the supplement route then?
Well true fat gain from more eggs is not possible unless you are overeating calories. It may make you retain more fluid which makes it look like you are gaining weight. Or it can be increasing muscle tone which can make it look like you are puffing up because it makes your muscles larger. But that may be a good thing, at least good for people who struggle with maintaining blood volume. I dont see how proteins or eggs as a general rule could be bad for diabetes. And any true bloating may reduce with time if you stick with it.

I highly recommend food before supplements if the food is not causing some problematic allergic reaction. Food is the best medicine. Eggs are nature's multivitamins.

Eggs that are well cooked (especially the whites need to be well cooked) reduce possible allergic reactions in most individuals unless they have a severe egg allergy. Also getting more zinc from red meat or oysters may also help if for whatever reason it is actually excessive water retention. Zinc is very good at reducing water retention for the most part and you don't sound like you get much zinc in your diet as it is.

Last edited:

linusbert

Well true fat gain from more eggs is not possible unless you are overeating calories. It may make you retain more fluid which makes it look like you are gaining weight. Or it can be increasing muscle tone which can make it look like you are puffing up because it makes your muscles larger. But that may be a good thing, at least good for people who struggle with maintaining blood volume. I dont see how proteins or eggs as a general rule could be bad for diabetes. And any true bloating may reduce with time if you stick with it.

I highly recommend food before supplements if the food is not causing some problematic allergic reaction. Food is the best medicine. Eggs are nature's multivitamins.

Eggs that are well cooked (especially the whites need to be well cooked) reduce possible allergic reactions in most individuals unless they have a severe egg allergy. Also getting more zinc from red meat or oysters may also help if for whatever reason it is actually excessive water retention. Zinc is very good at reducing water retention for the most part and you don't sound like you get much zinc in your diet as it is.

i love eggs! i could eat half a dozen a day. i eat them yolks runny but the eggwhite hardened, i dont think i have a allergy issue, sometimes a little bit.

i get zinkchlorid with my lantus insulin shots. ^^
but its true, i have a bad diet. can't do much about it as i am in nursing home and they decide what food is best for me. and their best is...
some foods like eggs i buy , but i need to watch the expenses.

overeating isnt possible, i have a caloric restricted STRICT diet. i am minus like 500 cal.
when i eat eggs i leave equal amount in calories of cheese out. its easy, 1 piece of cheese = 70cal , 1 whole egg = 70 cal.
cheese has almost same nutrient distribution like eggs. proteins/fats/carbs. only cholesterol is massive in eggs and of course there is cholin.

i gain weight on the scale. i dont know what it is, could be water, could be fat. muscles its for sure not. my belly is getting more flabby everytime.

i could imagine one mechanism could be that the large amounts of cholesterol oxidize or glycate in my body pretty fast. that could make inflamation rise and therefore insulin resistence increase.
i dont get that problem with same amount of cheese.

I was in South America and had received a nasty wound on my arm from an assailants machete
well, you got the machete. :smirk:

Last edited:
What type/form of thiamine are you taking and dose? My wife and I just started taking sublingual thiamine mononitrate at 100mg per morning. It has only been a few days but I am interested to see if I notice anything. I've talked about my eye issues in other threads...

I was taking 100mg TTFD / day. It seemed to help with my EOE, vision, and orthostatic hypotension. However, after about 6 months I had some blood work done (not because of this) and found my RBC was into the anemia zone. The only change that I had made was the TTFD so am thinking probably causation. I cut back to 50mg/day which lowered the benefits but have not had blood work done since to see if my RBC came back up.

i love eggs! i could eat half a dozen a day. i eat them yolks runny but the eggwhite hardened, i dont think i have a allergy issue, sometimes a little bit.

i get zinkchlorid with my lantus insulin shots. ^^
but its true, i have a bad diet. can't do much about it as i am in nursing home and they decide what food is best for me. and their best is...
some foods like eggs i buy , but i need to watch the expenses.

overeating isnt possible, i have a caloric restricted STRICT diet. i am minus like 500 cal.
when i eat eggs i leave equal amount in calories of cheese out. its easy, 1 piece of cheese = 70cal , 1 whole egg = 70 cal.
cheese has almost same nutrient distribution like eggs. proteins/fats/carbs. only cholesterol is massive in eggs and of course there is cholin.

i gain weight on the scale. i dont know what it is, could be water, could be fat. muscles its for sure not. my belly is getting more flabby everytime.

i could imagine one mechanism could be that the large amounts of cholesterol oxidize or glycate in my body pretty fast. that could make inflamation rise and therefore insulin resistence increase.

well, you got the machete. :smirk:

If the weight on the scale goes up, that means its increased water weight not body fat since you aren't overeating calories.

If you mean the macro distribution of eggs is similar to cheese yes. I don't think the cholesterol should be an issue. Cheese also does not have arachidonic acid, which is beneficial for the skin barrier. Technically it could theoretically increase inflammation, but arachidonic acid can form both inflammatory and anti-inflammatory compounds.

Do what you can in terms of experimenting with higher choline intake. In general I would think eggs are cheaper than a choline supplement if you buy the regular ones. But do what is affordable. You should aim for at least getting 500mg of choline a day from a supplement. They should tell you on labels how much total choline they give per serving. You should improve within days of starting a higher choline intake.