• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

blood in urine ?

pollycbr125

Hi all im pretty crappy at the mo but wondered if anyone could shed any light on whats going on with me at the mo .

As some of you know ive had a urine infection for several weeks . Ive now had 2 lots of antibiotics and im getting worse instead of better.

Been back to docs this morning she wouldnt give me a third lot of antibiotics as she said it looks like the bacteria has gone though there is stil blood in my urine .

Ill be honest i feel like ive been kicked round the room and back again . My lower part of my spine is absolutely killing me . Ive pain at my lower left side at the front , pain above my belly button and pain in the area of my kidneys though its the pain at the base of my spine thats horrendous .My belly is distended right up to under my bust , infact I look nine months pregnant some days which I can assure you im not .

she asked what I take for pain well im on slow release silly meds anyway so like I said I shouldnt be in so much pain and im not upping the dose as as it only ever takes the edge off im never pain free and dont fancy being zombified and comatosed just so I am pain free.

Shes put me back on diclofenac to see if its inflamation that is causing this . Not happy on that one as they affect my stomach so I have to take something to protect that too .

got to go back in a week if im not right which I will lay money on I wont be this had been going on well over a month now .I feel so ill and all my usual symptoms are far worse . My temp is going over 37 which for me is a temp as im usually in the mid 35's to 36's . 36.5 is usually the highest temp I have and I usually feel pretty crappy at that my temp has even been down into the 34's so I know 37 to me is the equivalent of a temperature in a healthy person .

There is no burning now when I go to the toilet and my bladder and further down below arent going into spasm anymore but like I say the pain at the base of my spine is horrendous . Theres no sign of thrush even though ive been on antibiotics .

Has anyone else had problems liek this ? Any ideas whats going on . this really is hell

thanks in advance

zoe.a.m.

Hi all im pretty crappy at the mo but wondered if anyone could shed any light on whats going on with me at the mo .

As some of you know ive had a urine infection for several weeks . Ive now had 2 lots of antibiotics and im getting worse instead of better.

Been back to docs this morning she wouldnt give me a third lot of antibiotics as she said it looks like the bacteria has gone though there is stil blood in my urine .

Ill be honest i feel like ive been kicked round the room and back again . My lower part of my spine is absolutely killing me . Ive pain at my lower left side at the front , pain above my belly button and pain in the area of my kidneys though its the pain at the base of my spine thats horrendous .My belly is distended right up to under my bust , infact I look nine months pregnant some days which I can assure you im not .

she asked what I take for pain well im on slow release silly meds anyway so like I said I shouldnt be in so much pain and im not upping the dose as as it only ever takes the edge off im never pain free and dont fancy being zombified and comatosed just so I am pain free.

Shes put me back on diclofenac to see if its inflamation that is causing this . Not happy on that one as they affect my stomach so I have to take something to protect that too .

got to go back in a week if im not right which I will lay money on I wont be this had been going on well over a month now .I feel so ill and all my usual symptoms are far worse . My temp is going over 37 which for me is a temp as im usually in the mid 35's to 36's . 36.5 is usually the highest temp I have and I usually feel pretty crappy at that my temp has even been down into the 34's so I know 37 to me is the equivalent of a temperature in a healthy person .

There is no burning now when I go to the toilet and my bladder and further down below arent going into spasm anymore but like I say the pain at the base of my spine is horrendous . Theres no sign of thrush even though ive been on antibiotics .

Has anyone else had problems liek this ? Any ideas whats going on . this really is hell

thanks in advance

Hi Polly,
I have had problems with a UTI-like infection and with bloating. I don't know that I can shed any light, but I can understand what it's like to go through. It was a few years ago that I started with UTI pain and was put on antibiotics for about 3 or 5 days. The symptoms continued and my urine showed bacteria so I was put on another, longer round of antibiotics. This went on for 4 months without a break. I had been asking to see a urologist a few months into it as the side effects of the antibiotics were at some points just unbearable. I was given an antibiotic that I was allergic to as well. And still they would not send me to the urologist. After more time passed, I just straight up threatened to refer myself and was finally given a referral. Another month later I underwent a cystoscopy and learned that I did not have a UTI, and that the urine specimens from before were all innacurate. I do trust that this doctor was correct in that. I think it's possible that I perhaps had one UTI and that the antibiotics ended up really causing most of the rest of the problems. I was feverish throughout this period, but that is not unusual for me.

I never did really find out what happened or what was wrong, other than I finally could stop taking so many antibiotics. It took time, and alternative medicine, to get things to improve.

I would be concerned that both the antibiotics and diclofenac could worsen your overall state. With the many, many fevers and symptoms I've gone through, I just can't say that I see antibiotics really changing things if 3 or 4 rounds have been done and a sensitivity to the bacteria hasn't been checked. And, without a sample straight out-of-the-bladder sample, it's just guesswork (and usually contaminated specimens). Antibiotics certainly put a strain on the body and gastrointestinal issues and diclofenac just sort of fans those flames. Even if you're asymptomatic from the meds in terms of side effects, damage could still be done.

So, my best advice is to make sure that if a decent amount of time has gone by that your positive urine has been tested for sensitivity (and you're at least being treated with a med that will kill what they've found) and to push for a cystoscopy (as godawful as they are--and they are) to get clear information.

Messed up flora can cause so many problems and can even cause infections to recur and change, but it's not something that can easily be seen or tracked. I think it took me a little over a year for the symptoms to finally stop being a daily problem. For the first few months I also had the kidney-area pain. The distention I've had began a few months after I backed off of the antibiotics and continued for over a year. One thing I wish I had done was take a VERY high potency probiotic as soon as I stopped the antibiotics and stayed on it for some time. Again, I think it's important to know what you're dealing with before you add something else in, but I doubt that could have made my problems much worse.

I do think interstitial cystitis is something to keep in mind and endometriosis. No good news there, but that's what I can offer after going through a thorough workup for these symptoms. It may be worth looking up the diet recommendations for interstitial cystitis and trying to adhere to that for a few weeks and see if it helps. If I recall, the treatment for that is basically avoidance of certain foods and a low-dose tricyclic antidepressant to shut down the nerve/pain pathways that get turned on.

Hope this helps

liverock

thanks in advance

D-Mannose has been shown to be effective against Escherichia-coli , the cause of most bladder and kidney infections. Escherichia-coli sticks to the bladder wall and antibiotics are not always effective at reducing all of the bacteria.

D-Mannose breaks the ability of the bacteria to cling to the bladder wall and flushes the bacteria away with the urine.

http://www.tahomaclinic.com/mannose.shtml

http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-D-Mannose-500-mg-120-Capsules/525?at=1

If you want to buy D-Mannose in the UK you can try local Health Shops or on Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/D-Mannose-3oz...auty_Vitamins_Supplements&hash=item51931634fb

taniaaust1

That sounds horrible. Ive never had that issue.

If you dont have fructose issues, I suggest you try adding cranberry juice to your diet. That can help prevent UTI's. Some say it can also help get rid of them but I myself have only heard it's good to help prevent. (studies have been done on that).

pollycbr125

Been back to docs finally getting referred for a scan , though god knows how long ill have to wait . Theres really no sense of urgency is there when you have a diagnosis of ME.
She took my blood pressure it was a little high lol , Didnt go into detail that it was because I had walked from the waiting room that had made it go high she just wouldnt have got it anyway .These docs really are hard work arent they :rolleyes:

liverock

Have you tried the D-Mannose I mentioned? It is reported to work in over 90% of women for UTI's.

Mya Symons

Mya Symons
Hi Polly. I used to get urinary tract infections that would last a long time. Are you allergic to Sulfa and/or penicillan by any chance? I am allergic to those two and the only choice they offered me back then was ciprofloxacin. It never worked for me. I don't understand why your doctor would not give you another antibiotic when there is still blood in your urine and you have a fever. As far as I know, that is usually an indication the infection is still there. I should not be saying this and I don't recommend it, but I ended up ordering another antibiotic off the internet because I was so desperate and the infection went away. Is there any way you could go to another doctor who might give you a better antibiotic choice?

You said you were using dicloflonec. I take dicloflonec every day and it used to irritate my stomach also. Now I take it with Misoprostol and prilosec and it does not bother me. Misoprostol creates stomach mucus that NSAIDS take away, so it protects your stomach. It also works well with my other meds that irritate my stomach.

Also, I never had pain at the base of my spine even when I had a kidney infections.If it gets worse, maybe there is something else going on and you should go to the emergency room or make another appointment with your doctor.

Hi,
Actually blood in the urine is a common problem. The medical term for red blood cells in the urine is hematuria. Sometimes blood in the urine is a sign of a serious problem in the urinary tract, while other times it is not serious and requires no treatment. Blood in the urine is not always visible. If the amount of blood is small, the urine can look normal.