• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Biomarker found in 2 CFS onset groups NK cells

ljimbo423

From the paper-

Possible ways to enhance NK cell function:

1. Reduce stress,

2. Glutathione – this is needed to produce the chemicals that NK cells release, so low levels of glutathione can lead to reduced NK cell function (Millman, 2008).

Oxidative stress and low glutathione levels have been found in ME/CFS and are suggested as causal factors (Shungu et al., 2012),

3. Supplements – Curcumin, Magnesium, Probiotics, B12, Ginseng, Echinacea, Chlorella, CoQ10 (Ravaglia et al., 2000; Kwak et al., 2012; Currier et al. 2001; Partearroyo et al., 2013; Chaigne-Delalande et al. 2013; Fiala, 2015).

Last edited:

alex3619

In GWI not CFS/ME, if I recall correctly. But I'll have to go back and double check.
You could be right, I would have to recheck too.

PS Just rewatched the video presentation segment, and IL-15 was low in both GWI and CFS. She was not specific about which illness had restoration of NK function, she did not distinguish between them on this issue in the video.

Last edited:

bthompsonjr1993

You could be right, I would have to recheck too.

PS Just rewatched the video presentation segment, and IL-15 was low in both GWI and CFS. She was not specific about which illness had restoration of NK function, she did not distinguish between them on this issue in the video.

So would that mean that IL-15 could be a potential treatment for CFS? Or is it like Ron Davis saying that while certain things return the cells to normal, they aren't safe to be given as medications?

Seven7

Seven
Is sounds simple, but Klimas (Peterson, and the whole old crew) knew all along about the NK cells, if we could raise it, we would have done so by now, but since I have been in treatment I have not been able to raise w their current options, so hopefully the break through is in how to raise NK via IL-15 since the other info is very old news.

Wolfcub

Thanks for posting this, @Belbyr I am starting at the bare beginning as have only been unwell just over 5 months. I need to start at the beginning with so many things. So it's helpful.

bertiedog

Is sounds simple, but Klimas (Peterson, and the whole old crew) knew all along about the NK cells, if we could raise it, we would have done so by now, but since I have been in treatment I have not been able to raise w their current options, so hopefully the break through is in how to raise NK via IL-15 since the other info is very old news.

I was thinking the same thing. I have watched some many videos over the years from Nancy Klimas explaining the situation regarding low Natural Killer Cells in ME and the latest video posted here on PR today was all about this again. She seemed to be quite sure though that she had some ideas as what might help them to become more "normal"

Pam

Shoshana

Northern USA
Ok, thank you @hamsterman
My thinking was that there are possible or likely, more than 2 sub-groups, so that is why I was confused.

But those 2 onset types. Ok.
That helps my thinking.