• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Bhupesh Prusty: "we are on a perfect path for identifying potential transferable factors in ME/CFS blood that can cause mito dysfunction..." GoFundMe

gregh286

raghav

Last edited:
This is a really long shot, but if like Prusty says, our disease provides protection from some RNA/DNA virus (at the expense of everything else) I wonder if the "something in the blood" could provide protection from covid19. Because if there was even a hint that that can be true, it would instantaneously unlock unlimited funding for ME/CFS research, given how the entire world is scrambling to find a way to treat or contain covid19. I wrote on Prusty's twitter account, I'm curious to see if he has an answer.

MonkeyMan

For what its worth, seems like the last word about Drp1 isnt spoken yet. So back to ordering virus contaminated
tea from China.

Wow. I am more and more impressed with Dr Prusty. Not only is he obviously a brilliant researcher who may have discovered what is at the root of ME/CFS, but he is generous and caring, and takes the time to respond to questions from patients. He is a gift to all of us in the community.

MonkeyMan

This is a really long shot, but if like Prusty says, our disease provides protection from some RNA/DNA virus (at the expense of everything else) I wonder if the "something in the blood" could provide protection from covid19. Because if there was even a hint that that can be true, it would instantaneously unlock unlimited funding for ME/CFS research, given how the entire world is scrambling to find a way to treat or contain covid19. I wrote on Prusty's twitter account, I'm curious to see if he has an answer.

Wow. Now THAT is what I call thinking outside the box! If this is true, it could be an instant game-changer, enduin.

I guess the question is, are there ME/CFS patients who have contracted the coronavirus? (I've had ME/CFS for 35 years, never get colds or the flu, and have no signs of coronavirus, for whatever it's worth).

Badpack

@paul80 he doesnt. But he said this again and again. The things he has found out and know right now: mitochondrial fragmentation and fission. Followed by low energy production. When he used Cfs plasma. Even if herpes viruses are the cause, he still doesnt know how they force not infected cells into hibernation antiviral defense mode. He is on it right now, but it will still take some time. But the things we can do right now till this is solved, find and take things that can resolve the fragmentation. So a symptomatic therapy till we can get a causal treatment.

Mary

Moderator Resource
I guess the question is, are there ME/CFS patients who have contracted the coronavirus?
I know a couple who have. I had been wondering the same thing, if ME/CFS would be protective against COVID-19, because of Prusty's video where he shows that our cells are too weak - lack the necessary nutrients - to support fast-growing viruses like the flu. Perhaps we may have subgroups of people with a natural immunity of sorts, too weak to support COVID-19. I don't have a clue, am just speculating. I don't know what if any relation COVID-19 has to the flu. I last caught the flu 20 years ago, in the early stages of ME/CFS.

Badpack

I think the lack of energy in Cfs for fast growing viruses is sadly nothing to explore for any form of treatment for Flu or covid. If you get it, its to late to starve the body from energy bc that would most likely kill the patient. Preemptively bringing ppl in a Cfs like status doesnt sound compelling either. Its like saying a person without legs cant break a leg. I wouldnt take my legs of in fear of breaking them haha.

Rufous McKinney

I think the lack of energy in Cfs for fast growing viruses is sadly nothing to explore for any form of treatment for Flu or covid. If you get it, its to late to starve the body from energy bc that would most likely kill the patient. Preemptively bringing ppl in a Cfs like status doesnt sound compelling either. Its like saying a person without legs cant break a leg. I wouldnt take my legs of in fear of breaking them haha.

I think there are many compelling reasons to further investigate ME...and its association with other viruses and Covid, etc....but getting ME is NO CURE FOR- a troubling flu if you ask me. Its just a sort of- coincidence- that we have something which seems to ALSO reduce our vulnerability to new viruses.

paul80

@paul80 he doesnt. But he said this again and again. The things he has found out and know right now: mitochondrial fragmentation and fission. Followed by low energy production. When he used Cfs plasma. Even if herpes viruses are the cause, he still doesnt know how they force not infected cells into hibernation antiviral defense mode. He is on it right now, but it will still take some time. But the things we can do right now till this is solved, find and take things that can resolve the fragmentation. So a symptomatic therapy till we can get a causal treatment.
Ok good explanation, thanks.

Think i would prefer if possible he puts his time into finding something to resolve the fragmentation. That surely should take priority over finding a complete cure.

raghav

Has anybody tried Mebendazole for fatigue ? It increases oxphos and reduces ROS. But the side effects have to be weighed in. There is a thread on PR dating back to 2011 where people reported dramatic reversal of symptoms after 4 hours of taking it. A bird tweeted this info. ;) But it can cause diarrhoea and elevated liver enzymes. Maybe a reduced dosage will help giving relief. I get Mebendazole in 100mg tablets in India. It is used as an anti helminthic for worms. Maybe if we take a quarter tablet it can help. Just guessing wildly.

https://forums.phoenixrising.me/thr...-has-helped-my-gut-a-bit-but-why.11327/page-2