• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Best Presentation I have seen on BeriBeri

Peyt

I have been diagnosed with POTS a couple of years ago and prescribed Ivaberdine.
Since then I have been doing studying on my own and found out there is another condition called BeriBeri that
resembles POTS. It is my personal opinion that some people are misdiagnosed with POTS where they really have BeriBeri. Especially if the person has also been diagnosed with SIBO or some form of Slow Gut Motility, it could be a sign that the Glucose metabolism is slowed down and Thiamine regulates that channel. (along with a few other vitamins and minerals) I have recently come across this presentation and ever since I started Thiamine injections 1 month ago I have made some progress, so I thought to share it:

Thiamine has not slowed down my fast heart rate, but it has improved a lot of other symptoms for me so I will continue it.

Hip

It is my personal opinion that some people are misdiagnosed with POTS where they really have BeriBeri.

POTS is diagnosed when there is at least a 30 point increase in heart rate on standing from a relaxed lying down position.

Beriberi involves a fast heart rate, but I could not find anything that indicates beriberi causes an increase in heart rate on standing. If beriberi does not cause increased tachycardia on standing, then it should not be confused with POTS.

Peyt

POTS is diagnosed when there is at least a 30 point increase in heart rate on standing from a relaxed lying down position.

Beriberi involves a fast heart rate, but I could not find anything that indicates beriberi causes an increase in heart rate on standing. If beriberi does not cause increased tachycardia on standing, then it should not be confused with POTS.
I understand what you are saying and you have a valid point but there are different forms of POTS.
I was diagnosed with POTS because my heart rate went over 120 bpm when standing eventhough the increase was only 25 beats (meaning my supine heart rate is around 95 bpm)
I realize this is not the more common POTS pattern (usually it's 60-75 supine and shoots up 30 or more when standing) but
that's not the only time someone will be diagnosed with POTS. Mine is an example of this situation.
This is why I explained in my original post that people who are diagnosed with POTS "and" have experienced Slow Gut Motility may really have BeriBeri and not POTS.
Actually, come to think of it, another combo disease that could be a clue that the person really has BeriBeri and not POTS(when dealing with faster than 120 heart rate upon standing) is having a fatty liver. Both Fatty liver and Slow Gut Motility could be clues that there is a problem in the Glucose channel. As the food sits in the gut there will be reactions such as inflammation and heart could beat faster than normal.

One of the benefits I have seen ever since I started Thiamine shots is that now I am emptying my bowel every morning completely with out the use of any laxatives. I even stopped eating sesame seeds which is something I use to get help from to move the bowel for the last 5 years.

Last edited:

Hip

ever since I started Thiamine injections 1 month ago I have made some progress

Coincidentally I was just earlier reading a thread about D-lactic acid from gut bacteria, and the ME/CFS-like symptoms this toxic D-lactate may cause.

Apparently thiamine deficiency may contribute to reduced clearance of toxic D-lactate from the body — see this post. High dietary oxalate may also inhibit the clearance of D-lactate — see this post.

Another thing to ponder about!

Peyt

Coincidentally I was just earlier reading a thread about D-lactic acid from gut bacteria, and the ME/CFS-like symptoms this toxic D-lactate may cause.

Apparently thiamine deficiency may contribute to reduced clearance of toxic D-lactate from the body — see this post. High dieta

That's true. I always felt like I had done a very hard workout (lactic acid build up) even though I had not exercised at all. I can't say Thiamine has fixed this problem yet, but I am hopeful that as I introduce the other 2 supplements mentioned in the above video(B2 and Lipoic Acid) that problem would subside as well. I am going very slow though. Today is my 3rd day on B2. I think Lipoic Acid is the one that's suppose to clean up the lactate ... but I am not there yet.

I have also started Methylcobalamin injections once a week. That has improved my energy levels a bit and also curbs the appetite which has helped me be on a intermitten fasting diet. So for me, the combo of B1 injection (once a day) and B12 injection (once a week) has worked well so far. (only been a month)

Last edited:

Peyt

@Hip
I think I found the thread that you were referring to on this site.
I am on page 2 of the thread and this is an excellent video... I had seen many videos about POTS and many videos about SIBO or GI symptoms but not one that includes both... I think the reason may be that most Cardiologist don't know much about GI problems and vise versa.
I am posting the video here because I think it belongs to this thread as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1458&v=ckFjhlRyXnE