• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

BBC Radio 4 Today's Programme allows Prof Sharpe to publically attack ME patients again

bertiedog

He has managed to make himself the victim - at least that was my impression when listening to the broadcast.

What a truly shocking situation it is - evidence seems to count for nothing in the UK.

Pam

Seven7

Seven
What a truly shocking situation it is - evidence seems to count for nothing in the UK.
There is an agenda for Psy services, and not have to pay you all disability., THat is the real issue, and until we don't call It what and how it is, they will keep getting away with it.
They are not stupid, they are not ignoring evidence on purpose, this is a political bottle of not having to pay. and for Psy people that have programs that bring millions to few.
So until this community call a horse a horse and a zebra= zebra. We will be ignored.

RogerBlack

In the UK, the equality act imposes a duty to not discriminate against the disabled (or race or other conditions).
Public bodies (such as the BBC) have a duty to consider beforehand if their actions will discriminate against protected groups.
Broadcasting a piece which encourages discrimination or has negative effects may fall foul of this, just as much as a professor advocating gay conversion therapy complaining that his research on how to help gay people is victimised.

Countrygirl

Here is a transcript of Prof Sharpe's (delusional) views.

Michael Sharpe on Today – 18 March 2019 – 8.45am

Martha Kearny – Thank you very much. It’s a quarter to nine. An Oxford professor has stopped his work on chronic fatigue syndrome – also known as ME – because he says he’s faced a barrage of online abuse from patients and campaigners. Well let’s talk now to Michael Sharpe, Oxford Professor of Psychological Medicine who’s in our Oxford studio. Good morning.

Michael Sharpe – Good morning to you.

MK – Tell us a bit more about your decision and the kind of abuse you’ve been facing.

MS – Well, as you said, chronic fatigue syndrome, sometimes called ME, is a serious debilitating condition that affects up to about 1% of the UK population and so clearly we need treatments. And the good news is we do have treatments – developed over about 20 years in the UK and other countries - various forms of rehabilitation, cognitive behaviour therapy, graded exercise therapy – have been found to be helpful. They don’t help everybody, but they’re helpful. The less good news is that a small group of campaigners want to have the research stopped – they want the treatments banned – and the way they do this is extremely relentless. They make multiple accusations - of fraud and abuse of patients, they stalk researchers, they try to get journals to retract papers, and in some cases even threats of violence. So this has meant that in this field, it’s not just me, but a number of researchers in several countries are now finding it impossible to continue in this field.

MK – There have been criticisms though, haven’t there, about the methodology – the Journal of Health Psychology said that the results are at best reliable [sic] and at worst manipulated to produce a positive-looking outcome.

MS –The way that science works is, as you know, people do studies, those studies are peer reviewed, and then we see whether those studies are replicated. The studies of this treatment have been replicated maybe a dozen times in trials. These journals – journals like Health Psychology – are at liberty to publish campaigns against the treatment – because that’s effectively what it was – but it’s very important that science takes its course with peer review and replication, and we don’t have science bent by campaigning.

MK – Do you have any sympathy for patient groups that say that they feel marginalised and dismissed? I mean, historically, people talked about ME, didn’t they, as “yuppie flu”?

MS – Yeah. Absolutely, and I think what you say is in part behind this campaign. I don’t agree with the campaign, but in-so-far as one understands its motivation, it is a view that the application of any treatment that is at all psychologically informed is saying to the patients “your illness isn’t real”. That of course is not true, but I think that fuels the hate, frankly, behind these campaigns.

MK – And what are the consequences of people like yourself deciding to stop research this area?

MS – Well, that there are a lot of things to research, and I’m finding it - moving to areas such as cancer and elderly people in hospital – I can make more progress at helping patients. Other researchers have had problems with their health because of the relentless campaigning and, I say, others have left. So what this means is potentially that the majority of patients who want to have this kind of research done, who want to access this kind of treatment, will not be able to because of the views of a minority, and I think that is wrong.

MK – Professor Michael Sharpe, many thanks.

https://www.facebook.com/ufi/reacti...s6MTAxNTc4OTUxMTE2ODAzNDg=&av=100000616658363

RogerBlack

He recently tweeted 'no forcing ever'.
I vaguely recall a paper on therapist difficulties delivering treatment including such gems as 'it's as if they don't want to get better'. Can anyone remind me of which paper this was, and if in fact Sharpe was involved.

prioris

The New World Order controls this planet. Seeing Sharpe given a platform to dispense disinformation is par course. The assault against the chronically ill continues. Make no mistake, there are other diseases where a war is being waged against and the sick punished.