• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

BBC Radio 4: The Life Scientific with Simon Wessely, 14th Feb 2017

Talking about his childhood.
Father raised in Prague. Kindertransport rescued 1939. Family all killedin WWII. Settled in UK.
Mother English. Both parents teachers.
Doesn't think background had any effect on him. 'normal happy childhood'.
Decided to study medicine at 15.
Reading Anthony Clare's book persuade d him to do psychiatry.
Fellow students at first psych job at Maudsley have stuck together.
Got interested in CFS at Queens square clinic. CFS thought to be a muscle disease then. Idea dismissed . No one wanted to see these patients. passed to psychiatrist s.

In the late 90s/ early 2000s I sent for info from a neurologist whose name and hosp (London somewhere) annoyingly I forget, and in an email to me he said CFS patients have to accept that a physical cause will never be found!!
I replied saying absence of proof not proof of absence, but he didnt reply.

user9876

Thinks it's because treatment by psychiatry is denigrating.
This just shows that he doesn't listen to patients or respect their views. As with his 'science' he is jumping to conclusions that fit his world view or needs from little if any evidence.
Backlash 'difficult to talk about'.
Compares us to animal rights.
Organised attempts to interfere with research - like being stalked.

He says it is difficult to talk about but find it easy enough to lobby constantly for PACE. We should remember that the research that is not carried out is the biomedical research. Projects matching his views still get funded and ignore 'interference which is really pointing out the very poor methodology that they use.

I the animal rights comment is trying to build up a picture that people who comment on-line about their research are actually violent terrorists rather than patients using their right of free speech to express an opinion. It is all about trying to tell a story or hint at it when it doesn't relate to what is happening. He needs to be challenged by interviewers and not be allowed to get away with the type of statements he makes. But then he would never agree to such an interview.

He needs to be challenged by interviewers and not be allowed to get away with the type of statements he makes. But then he would never agree to such an interview.

Being interviewed by a physicist in a series that is all about giving top scientists the chance to tell their story in their own way about their life in science was never going to be a challenge for SW, the arch manipulator and narcissist. It feeds his narcissism, bolsters his already enormous ego.

men-idiots-males-chauvinists-stupid_men-pompous-12255326_low.jpg

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
I the animal rights comment is trying to build up a picture that people who comment on-line about their research are actually violent terrorists rather than patients using their right of free speech to express an opinion. It is all about trying to tell a story or hint at it when it doesn't relate to what is happening. He needs to be challenged by interviewers and not be allowed to get away with the type of statements he makes. But then he would never agree to such an interview.
I'm not putting my blood pressure at risk by listening to him, but the animal rights stuff is typical and wrong. There are virtually no violent animal rights activists. It's a myth. I should know - I have a Masters degree in medical science and have done paid and unpaid work for animal charities. Unfortunately my brain has currently taken a holiday so for the past year I haven't been able to do much...

Just thought I'd mention it. You can find some of my earlier comments here: http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?blog/mesci.6237/

Keith Geraghty

when I was at school the CNS was connected to the PNS - and the thigh bone was connected to the trombone - sorry I mean the PNS was connected to the neuromuscular junction and so on...

he lives under the umbrella all is connected (BPS model) - his own Kings found medications to reduce brain inflammation reduce depression - wonder what CNS and PNS inflammation might be doing in ME/CFS

central my ass - what he meant was the neurologists couldnt find muscle abnormalities in 1980s - (not the ones he talked to); thats what he meant - ie it must be in the brain/mind/psyche -- and boy did he find it - it was CFS

Cinders66

I have no idea what makes him say this given that the aetiology of ME is unknown. He wants to say it's central because then he can continue to sell his "treatments".

I suppose saying vaguely central accords with the central sensitisation theory which would then be amenable to CBT & GET a

ukxmrv

I enjoy this radio program each week. Normally a fascinating life with a passion for what they study and articulate, erudite intelligent people.

Until today that, is Wessely came over as some who drifted into medicine and then drifted into CFS and GWS with no real interest or ability to research either. There was little of the energy or commitment or joy that previous interviewees had.

Guessing that the people who normally listen to this would be left wondering who he was and if they find out, how on earth he got there.

I'm worrying about your stress levels now @trishrhymes ....think that programme has started something you might not be able to stop .... My rant energy is a bit low atm but I agree with you on all of the above ....keep up the good work :thumbsup:

Thank you for your kind thoughts.

It was displacement activity to avoid thinking about my present stress producing situation of having my Disability Living Allowance stopped and having to go through the nightmare process of applying for PIP instead.

Just spent a lovely hour with a friend talking about poetry and life the universe and everything. Totally shattered but also good to escape from usual stuff. Only manage this occasionally, but very refreshed by it. So SW has receded into the background where he belongs!