• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Bateman Horne Center: Suzanne Vernon and Dr Lucinda Bateman form an ME/CFS/FM Center of Excellence in Utah

GracieJ

Salt Lake City, Utah, where Dr. Bateman has practiced for years, and where OFFER was started.

I will mention that to the BHC CEO. He very kindly stops to say hello when I show up for the education meetings.

The site is completely new and still under construction. I am just happy it is up and running! Edit. Yes... the address actually says Testville! Give them time.

Videos of the OFFER education meetings should still be available. They are always excellent.

Last edited:

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Salt Lake City, Utah, where Dr. Bateman has practiced for years, and where OFFER was started.

I will mention that to the BHC CEO. He very kindly stops to say hello when I show up for the education meetings.

The site is completely new and still under construction. I am just happy it is up and running! Edit. Yes... the address actually says Testville! Give them time.

Videos of the OFFER education meetings should still be available. They are always excellent.

Thanks, Gracie - I couldn't even find 'Testville'! They need a page called "Contact" - please tell that guy! I was ages looking.

GracieJ

Will do.

The August meeting was canceled. Not like they are busy, or anything.

I think I have his e-mail somewhere.

GracieJ

There is a Facebook page for BHC as well. Don't even ask me to try to get the link right to paste here!

geraldt52

With the likes of Suzanne Vernon on our side, who needs enemies? I mean really, Cort touting her work with William Reeves? Sounds like a new western branch for CDC public relations to me. For me, that finally ends my internal "friend or foe" debate regarding Bateman.

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
With the likes of Suzanne Vernon on our side, who needs enemies? I mean really, Cort touting her work with William Reeves? Sounds like a new western branch for CDC public relations to me. For me, that finally ends my internal "friend or foe" debate regarding Bateman.

All you need to do to assess Suzanne Vernon's work is examine the studies she produced while at the Solve ME/CFS Initiative, the researchers she introduced to this illness and the work she did at the CDC.

If you do that - which I guess from the tenor of you are probably not willing to do - but if you do, you'll see a researcher committed to uncovering the pathophysiological underpinnings of this illness - which I assume is something you want.

geraldt52

All you need to do to assess Suzanne Vernon's work is examine the studies she produced while at the Solve ME/CFS Initiative, the researchers she introduced to this illness and the work she did at the CDC...

You're serious? William Reeves, Suzanne Vernon, and Elizabeth Unger? Do you feel the same about Steven Strauss? I'll stick with the idea that with friends like these we need no enemies.

I'm afraid I've looked and seen all I care to of Suzanne Vernon's "work". I see nothing but the usual CDC nonsense, though she seems to have profited from it handsomely while at Kim Mccleary's CFIDS Association. I do have high hopes, with both Vernon and McCleary gone, maybe the new people running the organization previously known as the CFIDS Association will be able to make its new name something something I can respect.

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
In case anybody wanted a link, Suzanne Vernon's related PubMed research can be found here.

Studies in the past 2 years:

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Myalgic Encephalomyelitis: Toward An Empirical Case Definition.
Jason LA, Kot B, Sunnquist M, Brown A, Evans M, Jantke R, Williams Y, Furst J, Vernon SD.
Health Psychol Behav Med. 2015;3(1):82-93.

Anti-neural antibody response in patients with post-treatment Lyme disease symptoms versus those with myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome.
Ajamian M, Cooperstock M, Wormser GP, Vernon SD, Alaedini A.
Brain Behav Immun. 2015 Aug;48:354-5. doi: 10.1016/j.bbi.2015.04.006. Epub 2015 Apr 10. No abstract available.

DNA methylation modifications associated with chronic fatigue syndrome.
de Vega WC, Vernon SD, McGowan PO.
PLoS One. 2014 Aug 11;9(8):e104757. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0104757. eCollection 2014.

No association found between the detection of either xenotropic murine leukemia virus-related virus or polytropic murine leukemia virus and chronic fatigue syndrome in a blinded, multi-site, prospective study by the establishment and use of the SolveCFS BioBank.
Irlbeck DM, Vernon SD, McCleary KK, Bateman L, Klimas NG, Lapp CW, Peterson DL, Brown JR, Remlinger KS, Wilfret DA, Gerondelis P.
BMC Res Notes. 2014 Aug 4;7:461. doi: 10.1186/1756-0500-7-461.

Examining case definition criteria for chronic fatigue syndrome and myalgic encephalomyelitis.
Jason LA, Sunnquist M, Brown A, Evans M, Vernon SD, Furst J, Simonis V.
Fatigue. 2014 Jan 1;2(1):40-56.

Cytokine expression profiles of immune imbalance in post-mononucleosis chronic fatigue.
Broderick G, Katz BZ, Fernandes H, Fletcher MA, Klimas N, Smith FA, O'Gorman MR, Vernon SD, Taylor R.
J Transl Med. 2012 Sep 13;10:191. doi: 10.1186/1479-5876-10-191.
These results suggest that co-expression patterns in as few as 5 cytokines associated with Th17 function may hold promise as a tool for the diagnosis of post-infectious CFS.

Exploring the diagnostic potential of immune biomarker coexpression in Gulf War Illness.
Broderick G, Fletcher MA, Gallagher M, Barnes Z, Vernon SD, Klimas NG.
Methods Mol Biol. 2012;934:145-64. doi: 10.1007/978-1-62703-071-7_8.

Live sequence charts to model medical information.
Aslakson E, Szekely S, Vernon SD, Bateman L, Baumbach J, Setty Y.
Theor Biol Med Model. 2012 Jun 15;9:22. doi: 10.1186/1742-4682-9-22.

Some of these are free full text. I have probably not read them, as my ability to read full articles had dropped sharply a good while back.

geraldt52

...I think that the Solve ME/CFS Initiative is doing amazing work these days...

As I said, with Vernon and McCleary gone I have hope that that will continue. I was really impressed with how they handled IOM report .

I was as happy to hear that Vernon was leaving as I was that Wessely would no longer work on CFS...sadly, both things were only temporary.

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
You're serious? William Reeves, Suzanne Vernon, and Elizabeth Unger? Do you feel the same about Steven Strauss? I'll stick with the idea that with friends like these we need no enemies.

I'm afraid I've looked and seen all I care to of Suzanne Vernon's "work". I see nothing but the usual CDC nonsense, though she seems to have profited from it handsomely while at Kim Mccleary's CFIDS Association. I do have high hopes, with both Vernon and McCleary gone, maybe the new people running the organization previously known as the CFIDS Association will be able to make its new name something something I can respect.
I'm completely serious. By that I mean I've looked at her work and the work of the Solve ME/CFS Association and I've concluded that it;s really good. My question is whether you are "serious"; i.e. have you actually looked at their work - the studies they're funding and researchers they're interacting - based your assessment on that or what?

Pyrrhus