• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Bains Dérivatifs--Cold Water Therapy

whodathunkit

Well, jeez, everytime I think I have a nice routine along comes something else I want to try. LOL I've been extremely interested in increasing lymph flow lately (am actually using my rebounder regularly again, to good effect), so another serendipitous thread "floats to the top" for me (thanks to @Gondwanaland in the big RS thread). Not too crazy about stroking around my nethers with cold water :eek: but I'll do whatever works. :D The bit about moving lymph around in the head/scalp is particularly intriguing, since I wonder how much those newly discovered lymph channels in the head may have to do with circulation and the tendency towards hairloss.

Anyway...@Asklipia, great OP! Is there a recommended time to do this? Due to sleep issues, is it better in the evening, or does it matter?

Avengers26

I started doing a modified form of this recently using a bidet. I read about it in a post when i googled it. I do notice a difference though I don't know if it's placebo. I consider it as another tool in the arsenal.

Thank you. @Asklipia

jepps

http://medicalxpress.com/news/2015-12-gut-microbes-trigger-fat-loss.html
This article fits well to the experiences of @Asklipia with cold water therapy: cold water therapy influences the gut microbes

Exposure to cold temperatures is known to mimic the effects of exercise, protecting against obesity and improving metabolic health. A study published December 3 in Cell now reveals that the beneficial health effects of cold exposure are mediated in part by gut microbes. The researchers found that cold exposure dramatically alters the composition of intestinal bacteria in mice and that this microbial shift is sufficient to burn fat, improve glucose metabolism, and reduce body weight.
After three weeks of cold exposure, body weight began to stabilize. The researchers suspected that the intestine was absorbing more nutrients from food, counteracting additional weight loss that would otherwise result from higher overall energy expenditure.
In support of this idea, transplantation experiments showed that gut microbes associated with long-term cold exposure caused the intestine to grow in size and triggered an increase in the surface area of intestinal cells that absorb nutrients. "These findings demonstrate that gut microbes enable mammals to harvest more energy from food as a way to adapt to the increased energy demand associated with long periods of cold exposure, thereby helping to protect against hypothermia," Trajkovski says. "We were surprised to see that gut microbes had such dramatic effects on the structure and function of the intestine."

jepps

Thank you @jepps ! I always notice how much knowing WHY something is working boosts the results!

Yes, if possible, to undergo cold therapy could be part of healing. I remember to a German student, who got much more healthier only with Rich´s protocol and with cold therapy.

Last edited:
Hi all,

Signed up to leave this report on my experience with the bains during February and March last year. Wasn't able to write until l.d.n seemed to give me a little more endurance, at least I think it was the naltrexone!

I found this thread last year and immediately started by sitting on the edge of the bath, filling the sink up and using a washing up cloth (jay cloth, uk thing?). I had excellent results straight away, the most obvious being intense bliss as my brain was washed clean of all the ickyness I can feel up top. There was a sense of pleasure in my brain, a sense of warmth, softness and ease. I felt actual enjoyment of life and being, which I'd forgotten about.

The results continued for about 3 weeks, getting stronger then rapidly tailing off towards the end. It required colder and colder water to get the benefit and I ended up stopping because I couldn't find the motivation anymore without any obvious response. I thought about getting cool packs as the washing twice a day began to feel like hard work, rather than enjoyable. I never got round to it - the idea got swallowed up in my brain's white noise- becoming less salient.

I thought I owed it to myself to finally write this up. The brain burn and toxic feeling has been back, god knows how long, so I'm looking to start again when the will arises. Will get some packs first!

Robert

Thanks to @Asklipia for starting the thread.

Hi Asklipia,

I have been doing the derivative baths for the past week and have found them really useful. I had some positive results, but am still trying to find what duration/frequency will work because of some issues with detox, I believe. I noticed really good sleep at first.

I was just doing them for 5 minutes, so I thought I needed to increase because my sleep was getting worse with trouble getting to sleep and waking up very unrefreshed and increased BD to 10 minutes one day, which was great for energy, but my sleep was so sketchy and I'v had issues with brain fog/tiredness for the last couple days.

I notice you said earlier in this thread/forum was that it can be very tiring at first due to the detox. I'm taking a day off to reset and probably try BD at 3 minutes tomorrow. I just think I am very toxic and especially with mercury and that of late with other things I've tried I've just been moving toxins around in my body due to poor digestion.

My digestion has been improved because of the BD, or derivative baths, so as that is a huge issue for me and the internal inflammation I really want to keep doing this, but any thoughts you may have would be very welcome. Thanks so much for posting this so long ago. It makes great sense along with the other research I've done on this that I've found in English.