• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Bad Sinus Infection: are antibiotics needed?

Zebra

Hi, Everyone -

I feel so silly asking for help with such a "small potatoes" type problem, but I am really uncertain what to do here. My feeble mind has been chewing on this issue for 48 hours now, and I have yet to make a decision. Maybe you could help me?

Here's Some Background: When I developed ME/CFS, it came with sudden onset sinusitus, which has become chronic (aka: 5 years). It was diagnosed by an ENT and confirmed by CT scan. My regular treatment regimen is Flonase in the AM, and simple saline solution in the PM.

What's Going on Now: This past Friday, I thought I was experiencing an unusual, and severe flare of sinusitus, but by Monday there was no denying I have a full on infection. I have been diligent with at home treatments (saline irrigation, steaming, sinus massage, special herbal nasal spray), and I can tolerate the facial discomfort, sore throat, and cough (the latter are due to post-nasal drip). I am also experiencing dizziness when lying down and I am lightheaded when standing up.

Why I Am Considering Antibiotics: What is deeply concerning to me my body's systemic reaction to such a simple infection. My fatigue is overwhelming, and I am also experiencing weakness in all four limbs. ME/CFS is such a slipperly slope, and I am scared because I feel much worse than my baseline level of "bad," and I am terrified of back sliding even further.

Why I Don't Want to Take Antibiotics: I have already taken a course Bactrim for a different, and potentially dangerous, infection earlier this year, so I am loathe to 1) overuse antibiotics and 2) screw up my gut flora, which I have been trying to nurture back into balance after a colonoscopy. Also, I know my doctor will not take, nor wait for, a nasal swab. He will just prescribe Amoxicillin, and tell me to come back if that doesn't work. (ugh)

So, the Question Is: Does a sinus infection warrant antibiotics for someone with ME/CFS?

Again, I feel silly asking you all for help with a simple sinus infection, but you can see that I've been thinking this over quite a bit, and I need input from others. If you have the energy to help me make an informed decision, I would appreciate it.

Thank you very much!
Zebra

YippeeKi YOW !!

@Zebra
Not silly at all. SInus infections are a particular form of hell that seems to take up residence in every orifice on your face, and then strikes out to discover new lands.

Unfortunately, I have no answer here. Am hoping maybe @Hip will have some input. He's hugely knowledgeable and generous with his time and information.

geraldt52

I've never been able to kick one on my own. I always go for the antibiotic now. It isn't worth the agony of trying to fight it off. It just gets worse. I can't afford the energy that the pain and loss of sleep etc. drains away.
+1. Sinus infections are nothing to mess around with, as they can work their way deeper and deeper and become extremely difficult to get rid of. I'd recommend getting on the antibiotic at the first signs...deal with the gut stuff later.

andyguitar

The dizzyness and feeling lightheaded might indicate that the sinus infection is also effecting your ears and causing balance problems. If you managed to get over the side effects of your last course of antibiotics than I would say that a short course of them now maybe a good idea to stop things getting worse.

Sidny

I’ve heard a good majority of sinus infections are neither viral or bacterial but fungal. If that’s the cause in your case, antibiotics may just exacerbate the situation.

MTpockets

what was your treatment plan?
I use Monolaurin mainly. I also eat a lot of garlic. I don't eat any type of sugar and I went on a very strict carb diet. I can't do no carb, but I went lower carb and specific carb. I also took multiple probiotics as well. I was aiming to clear up my digestive issues, but my sinus issues went away at the same time.

I went from an infection everytime I caught a cold to one or two a year. I hope to escape having one at all this year.

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
@Zebra, if I were in your position I would definitely ask for Amoxicillin. Ask if you can get Amoxicillin with clavulanic acid, also known as Augmentin. The clavulanic acid helps overcome bacterial resistance.

I had chronic sinusitis for about a year around the time my ME/CFS began. My allergist told me that chronic sinusitis can be a sign of allergies and that avoiding allergens and getting allergy shots would be a good way to get the allergies under control. I followed through with that.

Since allergy shots take at least a year to work and I wasn't getting any relief from antibiotics such as Amoxicillin I saw a naturopath who gave me a variety of herbal and natural remedies. Her remedies were what finally helped me. This was over 25 years ago so I can't remember exactly what all she gave me. If you can see a naturopath that might be one way to gain some control.

dreampop

I use Monolaurin mainly. I also eat a lot of garlic. I don't eat any type of sugar and I went on a very strict carb diet. I can't do no carb, but I went lower carb and specific carb. I also took multiple probiotics as well. I was aiming to clear up my digestive issues, but my sinus issues went away at the same time.

I went from an infection everytime I caught a cold to one or two a year. I hope to escape having one at all this year.

Oral monolaurin or did you use a nasal spray or mix to get it into your nose?