• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

B2 causes viral flare. Why?

BadBadBear

Hi. I have been re-testing B vitamins, one by one, after finding my inositol discovery. I have tried B2 twice now and after about 10 days, it consistently causes a viral flare (presumably EBV as that is my diagnosis).

Why would B2 do that, and is it useful to let it flare if the antiviral meds can help kill it off?

LINE

For myself, B2 is a wonder vitamin, but I couple that with B6 (and other b vits). B vits can be tricky, and as you said, testing one by one is important. They do share an agonist/antagonist relationship, so if one becomes dominant then others may become submissive.

Wishful

Are you absolutely sure that it's a viral flare and not just an ME symptom flare? B2 made my ME symptoms flare when I tried it a few years back. I didn't have any viral testing done, so I can't say that it wasn't a viral flare, but I had no reason to believe that it was one. I assumed that the B2 was just affecting some process in my ME. B3 had a similar, but stronger effect, and added suicidal moods as well. B12 had the same effect as B3 (including strong suicidal moods), but only at that particular time. I had a B12 shot years before that, which didn't affect my ME, and I tried the same B12 tablets many months later, with no significant effect, so the B12 issues seem dependent on some other factor.

B1 seemed to give a slight benefit the first time I tried it, but never had a significant effect after that.

So, the effects of B vitamins seem to be complex, and they may not be linked to viral infections. My personal guess is that it's not causing a viral flare in you. If B2 supplements aren't providing a noticeable benefit for you, I suggest not taking it as a supplement, and even avoiding B2-enriched foods.

BadBadBear

Thanks, @Wishful. I have no idea if it was viral or ME. Good point. Symptoms were classically viral as in swollen nodes, sore throat, etc. but I don't know. I went off as soon as it flared up, and upped the Famvir dosing so it would not progress.

Also thank you for your input, @LINE.

The B vitamin reactions are just SO individual.

Wishful

Symptoms from viral infection are actually due to the immune system's chemical attacks, so anything that triggers the immune system into producing more of those chemicals will feel the same as a viral infection. My first ME attack felt exactly like a flu coming on.