• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

B12, thyroid, lithium blood test help!

So I recently had another blood test done and I'd like your help in understanding and sorting through them. Previously my genetic test indicated I was homogeneous for MTR and MTRR and my homocysteine levels were 18.6 which was quite high as I am in my 20s. So I started taking 5000mcg of methylcobalamin (different brands) daily and I didn't notice much positive effects though recently I'm getting lots of acne on my back. I also occasionally took NAC and TMG, b9 b6 and other b vitamins, ( all active versions) but I didn't fell anything positive. I have all the classic symptoms of b12 deficiency. Recently my blood tests indicates 7.8 homocysteine levels so a good thing but my b12 is around 400 ( Prior to starting b12 it was also around 400).

I would have thought it would be in the thousands as I had been taking around 5000mcg sublingually for months.

Here are other tests results ( unfortunetly I live in a 3rd world country where all tests are not available.) Please help me sort these issues.

Folic acid 16.52 Ng/ml (4.6-18.7)
B12 470 (200-804)
Lithium 0.2 mEq/l (.5-1.5)

T3 .09 Ng/ml (.83-2.0)
Free t3 3.2 pg/ml (2-4.4)
TSH 1.2 miclU/ml (.3-5.2)
Free t4 1.15 Ng/DL ( .7- 1.48)

I've read some where here that lithium plays a part in b12 transportation but I'm concerned taking lithium since it effects thyroid and my levels for t3 are looking quite low.

Suggestions for further tests or supplements will be appreciated.

I'd like to add that I've been taking ritalin 20mg for the past months as this is the only thing that has consistently helped me some what in giving me energy and mental clarify it's not significant but it is enough that I can get out of bed and go.to school a do some tasks.

My ME and B 12 symptoms ( I was diagnosed for fibromyalgia but I don't think the rheumatologist knew much about CFS

ME Symptoms
- chronic fatigue
- chronic brain fog
- pain and aches in joints and muscles
- terrible sleep quality and lack of it
- feel terrible after I eat food ( glutamine and nag helped but nothing significant ( I was positive for protozoa cyst blastosistis homonis - I don't know if treating this helps)

B12 deficiency symptoms
- fatigue
- lack of mental clarity and memory problems
- lack of balance ( can't stand still without body waving back and forth, bump in to things often, hit my nose or teeth when eating with a spoon ( quite embarrassing)
- tinnitus
- cold hands and feet
- low body temperature

Thanks,

Last edited:

lauluce

as long as you manage to stay alive, there's hope
which thirld world country do you live in? I live in Argentina and my situation regarding avaiability of tests is the same as yours... We share many of our symptoms, I too asked for a B12 and homocisteine test that I took exactly today. In the past, my B12 levels have been HIGHER than the normal range, which I believe is actually a sign of a functional B12 deficiency, the intracellular levels of b12 might be low, that is. The only thing I can suggest you is to be indeed VERY CAREFUL with lithium, I took a high dose of it and apparently it triggered hashimoto's thyroiditis, which eventually destroyed my thyroid. Good luck!

Can anyone please explain why my b12 levels haven't changed but my homocysteine levels lowered? How critical is lithium for b12 as I been taking huge amount of b12 with the co faactors but has had no effect on me or on my levels .

pamojja

Can anyone please explain why my b12 levels haven't changed but my homocysteine levels lowered?

Probably the homocysteine lowered because of all the co-factors you took and some of the B12 taken and badly needed did actually do its job, without being able to raise levels yet. I would take it as a definite sign that your approach started to work. But might take much longer time to fully replete.

In general methylcobalamin is very poorly absorbed, better with sublinguals, and still better the longer you're able to keep them sub-lingually in your mouth.

I've read some where here that lithium plays a part in b12 transportation but I'm concerned taking lithium since it effects thyroid and my levels for t3 are looking quite low.

Prescription lithium is very high dose and can have bad side-effects. While supplemental lithium usually comes in 5mg pills only, without that risk. Which is about at an intake some regions on this earth get daily through lithium-rich drinking water. And suicide rates for such lithium-rich drinking water areas seem to be consistently lower than elsewhere.

Your active thyroid hormone free T3 is actually pretty good and I wouldn't worry. But retest after some time to see where it's moving. All lab-tests do fluctuate, and a single test can't be taken that definitive.

Last edited: