• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

B12 injections or B12 transdermal spray?

SmokinJoeFraz93

I currently take a oral spray of B12 that provides 2000mcg. I feel a tiny (and I mean tiny) effect, but not enough to be blown off my feet. My mother has Pernicious Anaemia, so it’s in my family if that has any significance.

Does B12 transdermal oil have the same absorption rate as injections? The product I have found will deliver 5000mcg of B12 (Methylcobolamin).

Cheers.

Hip

Does B12 transdermal oil have the same absorption rate as injections?

Yes: according to Dr Greg Russell-Jones, 80% of his transdermal B12 oils are absorbed through the skin.

Since the each B12 oil dose contains 2500 mcg, that means you get around 80% x 2500 = 2000 mcg absorbed systemically into the body. This is comparable to the dose you get from injections (100% of the injection is absorbed systemically).

In fact, you actually get more B12 from the oils, since B12 injection doses are typically around 500 to 1000 mcg.

See the thread: Very noticeable improvements in brain fog using Dr Greg Russell-Jones's transdermal B12 oils (which provide a similar dose to B12 injections)

I currently take a oral spray of B12 that provides 2000mcg. I feel a tiny (and I mean tiny) effect, but not enough to be blown off my feet.

You'd be lucky to get even just 1% of that oral spray absorbed into the body. The problem is that saliva will wash it away after 10 or 20 minutes.

fredam7

I currently take a oral spray of B12 that provides 2000mcg. I feel a tiny (and I mean tiny) effect, but not enough to be blown off my feet. My mother has Pernicious Anaemia, so it’s in my family if that has any significance.

Does B12 transdermal oil have the same absorption rate as injections? The product I have found will deliver 5000mcg of B12 (Methylcobolamin).

Cheers.

I used a b12 spray as well . I too have bad anemia. The injections definitely help some people a lot , they are glad to have them . I reacted very poorly to them, I became ultra paranoid , sound was extremely loud and very disoriented . But many people do not have this result . I have no idea why this happened but it was worse than I described . Is your GI ok?

The other thing is that b12 can look normal in serum but it's not being utilized . That is my theory anyway . Both me and my cat had sky high b12 values but used no supplements and I didn't eat any meat . She had tremors and other neuro symptoms and so did I. Later , both our b12 went low and out of range and we both got shots .

Are you exposed to mold ? Gi issues ? And I don't know why or if it is just coincidence, but my iron went lower after a b12 shot. Msybe get all your labs first and then again after the shot .

fredam7

@Hip
I wanted to share that a neurologist said to never , ever take any b vitamins . Did you find this to be true with your b12 research? I asked what about b12 and he said no. He said it's bad for people with nerve issues.
(I didn't do that spray or shot until I had very little b12 in labs)

Maybe clear the shots or patch if you have nerve issues z

SmokinJoeFraz93

@Hip
I wanted to share that a neurologist said to never , ever take any b vitamins . Did you find this to be true with your b12 research? I asked what about b12 and he said no. He said it's bad for people with nerve issues.
(I didn't do that spray or shot until I had very little b12 in labs)

Maybe clear the shots or patch if you have nerve issues z

I haven’t came across anything of the sort. The only thing I have found is too much B6 can cause nerve sensations, but that goes when you reduce the B6. Other than that, I have read that B Vitamins and high doses of B12 help with nerve damage. In fact, I thought nerve damage can be caused by B12 deficiency?

fredam7

I haven’t came across anything of the sort. The only thing I have found is too much B6 can cause nerve sensations, but that goes when you reduce the B6. Other than that, I have read that B Vitamins and high doses of B12 help with nerve damage. In fact, I thought nerve damage can be caused by B12 deficiency?

Yes, B12 deficiency can definitely cause nerve damage. Too much B6 can cause neuropathy.

I saw a very good neurologist and he was adamant about those with nerve issues not taking any B vitamins or multi (because they have B vitamins). Maybe it's with certain conditions . I was more worried about the nerve disorders and trying to avoid another mistake so I didn't press on the B vit issue.

I do know when I had the b12 shot, my nervous system went absolutely crazy. It was the first time I allowed anyone to carry me out of the car even though it was humiliating . I was on fire with pain and very disoriented, every sound was like a loud speaker in my ear and I couldn't tell which direction the sound was coming from .

But I don't know, I'm not sure of anything anymore. Do we take b12 or no? Probiotics or no?

If you don't have serious nerve issues and need b12, then maybe it will help you . If you have anemia msybe discuss it all with a hematologist . If you have MCAS, be careful and look into the different types of b12 shots but people with CFS exclusively , react to all kinds of things too

Hip

Did you find this to be true with your b12 research? I asked what about b12 and he said no. He said it's bad for people with nerve issues.

Well a quick Google check finds that B12 and a B complex are beneficial for the neurological diseases of MS and Parkinson's. But ME/CFS patients are often extra sensitive to drugs and supplements, so caution is advised whenever trying anything. For me, whenever I try a new drug or supplement, I start with a low dose, maybe a 10th of the normally dose, so that if there are side effects, they will be minimized.

Likaloha

I take injectable b12 even though my usual cbc says my b12 level is acceptable.. My pain doc says b12 can help with pain, and I know that what is normal for most people is not necessarily normal for me.

Likaloha

I can tell you it is injectable cyanocobalamin 1000mcg/ml and my husband gives my shot once a week. I have been doing this for many years now.. Not sure if it helps or not, but supposedly you cannot get too much because your body can get rid of what you do not need. I am scared to stop doing things that I have been doing in fear of getting worse. Good luck, lisa

anni66

mum to ME daughter
I can tell you it is injectable cyanocobalamin 1000mcg/ml and my husband gives my shot once a week. I have been doing this for many years now.. Not sure if it helps or not, but supposedly you cannot get too much because your body can get rid of what you do not need. I am scared to stop doing things that I have been doing in fear of getting worse. Good luck, lisa
Why cyanocobalamin?
It' s manmade and may be less effective?

anni66

mum to ME daughter
Yes, B12 deficiency can definitely cause nerve damage. Too much B6 can cause neuropathy.

I saw a very good neurologist and he was adamant about those with nerve issues not taking any B vitamins or multi (because they have B vitamins). Maybe it's with certain conditions . I was more worried about the nerve disorders and trying to avoid another mistake so I didn't press on the B vit issue.

I do know when I had the b12 shot, my nervous system went absolutely crazy. It was the first time I allowed anyone to carry me out of the car even though it was humiliating . I was on fire with pain and very disoriented, every sound was like a loud speaker in my ear and I couldn't tell which direction the sound was coming from .

But I don't know, I'm not sure of anything anymore. Do we take b12 or no? Probiotics or no?

If you don't have serious nerve issues and need b12, then maybe it will help you . If you have anemia msybe discuss it all with a hematologist . If you have MCAS, be careful and look into the different types of b12 shots but people with CFS exclusively , react to all kinds of things too
My aunt has had severe reactions to b12 all her life. It' s likely that she does have a functional deficiency, however she will not take it based on previous experience. As she is severely affected there is little leeway for any bad reactions.
I' m not convinced that you simply pee excess out.

She is ok with multivitamin s that have other B s in them

I don' t know if injection would be different as it bypasses gut.

gbells

Improved ME from 2 to 6
B vitamins are water soluble. If you have nerve damage to recover from, my favorite B12 delivery is vaping. Transdermal seems to be excessive dosing. Between 1-3 breaths and you have good B12 blood levels.

www.breatheb12.com

No nerve damage and oral methyl B12 supplements work fine.

Mary

Moderator Resource
I've had good results with sublingual liquid methylcobalamin, two 5000 mcg. doses a day I've had good results with both this product and this one. I hold the liquid in my mouth for maybe a minute before swallowing.

I did B12 shots for a couple of years, I tried both methylcobalamin and hydroxocobalamin (self-administered - 5000 mcg. 3 x a week) and noticed no difference. I tried sublingual tablets and they did nothing. After I started the liquid methylcobalamin, 5000 mcg. 2 x a day, for the first time I felt an increase in energy. I've been taking this for a couple of years now, and now most of the time do okay with one dose a day, but sometimes I seem to need more.

I've never tried transdermal B12 oils, but have read good things about them.