• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

B12 injections or B12 transdermal spray?

Remi

How often do you inject? Methyl and cyano have to be injected daily to equal alternate day hydroxo. I'm now trying daily hydroxo, if I can keep that up could try cyano. Methyl isn't available for injections where I live (I order hydroxo from Germany). Only on rx.

That is interesting. My experience with methylcobalamin injections has been mixed. I found the methylcobalamin from one compounding pharmacy worked equally well as the cyanocobalamin I had previously taken. But the methylocobalamin from a different, more local, compounding pharmacy was actually less effective for me than cyano had been. Which, along with cost considerations, is what prompted me to switch back to cyano. I do take oral folic acid also. For me methyl was, at best, equal to cyano, but not better.

ubcutaneous is thought to release more slowly than intramuscular. I'm not sure how much of a difference it makes, but it probably played a role in my experience of subQ being less optimal for me.

Galixie

How often do you inject? Methyl and cyano have to be injected daily to equal alternate day hydroxo. I'm now trying daily hydroxo, if I can keep that up could try cyano. Methyl isn't available for injections where I live (I order hydroxo from Germany). Only on rx.

I only need to inject once a week. I've been on various schedules over the past 10 years, but once a week cyano seems to work well for me. A prescription is needed for injectables here too. (Ironically, no prescription is needed in my state for the syringes.) Cyano is the most readily available form where I live. Almost all the drugstores keep cyano in stock here. On the other hand hydroxo is harder to find and methyl is really only available through specialty compounding pharmacies.

I'm glad I don't need to inject daily. When I first started B12 injections in 2008, one 10 dose vial of cyano cost around $10. It now costs over $7 just for *one dose*.