• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Azithromycin as a spinal anti inflammatory

pattismith

Azithromycin drives alternative macrophage activation and improves recovery and tissue sparing in contusion spinal cord injury
  • Bei Zhang†,
  • William M. Bailey†,
  • Timothy J. Kopper,
  • Michael B. Orr,
  • David J. Feola and
  • John C. Gensel
  • Received: 17 July 2015
  • Accepted: 18 November 2015
  • Published: 24 November 2015

Abstract
Background

Macrophages persist indefinitely at sites of spinal cord injury (SCI) and contribute to both pathological and reparative processes. While the alternative, anti-inflammatory (M2) phenotype is believed to promote cell protection, regeneration, and plasticity, pro-inflammatory (M1) macrophages persist after SCI and contribute to protracted cell and tissue loss. Thus, identifying non-invasive, clinically viable, pharmacological therapies for altering macrophage phenotype is a challenging, yet promising, approach for treating SCI. Azithromycin (AZM), a commonly used macrolide antibiotic, drives anti-inflammatory macrophage activation in rodent models of inflammation and in humans with cystic fibrosis.
Methods

We hypothesized that AZM treatment can alter the macrophage response to SCI and reduce progressive tissue pathology. To test this hypothesis, mice (C57BL/6J, 3-month-old) received daily doses of AZM (160 mg/kg) or vehicle treatment via oral gavage for 3 days prior and up to 7 days after a moderate-severe thoracic contusion SCI (75-kdyn force injury). Fluorescent-activated cell sorting was used in combination with real-time PCR (rtPCR) to evaluate the disposition and activation status of microglia, monocytes, and neutrophils, as well as macrophage phenotype in response to AZM treatment. An open-field locomotor rating scale (Basso Mouse Scale) and gridwalk task were used to determine the effects of AZM treatment on SCI recovery. Bone marrow-derived macrophages (BMDMs) were used to determine the effect of AZM treatment on macrophage phenotype in vitro.
Results

In accordance with our hypothesis, SCI mice exhibited significantly increased anti-inflammatory and decreased pro-inflammatory macrophage activation in response to AZM treatment. In addition, AZM treatment led to improved tissue sparing and recovery of gross and coordinated locomotor function. Furthermore, AZM treatment altered macrophage phenotype in vitro and lowered the neurotoxic potential of pro-inflammatory, M1 macrophages.
Conclusions

Taken together, these data suggest that pharmacologically intervening with AZM can alter SCI macrophage polarization toward a beneficial phenotype that, in turn, may potentially limit secondary injury processes. Given that pro-inflammatory macrophage activation is a hallmark of many neurological pathologies and that AZM is non-invasive and clinically viable, these data highlight a novel approach for treating SCI and other maladaptive neuroinflammatory conditions.

pattismith

Azithromycin has been shown beneficial for ME/CFS, reducing symptom severity.
I was riddled by widespread spinal pain when I started azithro, I had hypnic jerks and restless legs in the evening.
i was quickly better when I started, then I stopped after 10 days and I relapsed 10 days after.
The second time i used the Weldon protocol for 4 months and the spinal pain + hypnic jerks disappeared and never came back. The restless legs moved from the evening to the morning and remained that way since then.

Cord injury is obvious in my case (probably cervical but maybe also in the low back). I can't believe that none of the doc I met was ever interested to look at it, even though i constantly complained about headache and widespread pains with debilitating fatigue.
I really start to feel angry, I was totally confident in medicine, and they ruined my life.

Hip

I was riddled by widespread spinal pain when I started azithro, I had hypnic jerks and restless legs in the evening.
i was quickly better when I started, then I stopped after 10 days and I relapsed 10 days after.
The second time i used the Weldon protocol for 4 months and the spinal pain + hypnic jerks disappeared and never came back.

Dr John Chia uses azithromycin 250 mg daily for a month to treat intracellular infection of Chlamydia pneumoniae in ME/CFS patients, so any benefits that appear from azithromycin could be due to its effects on this bacterium.