• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Awful sounding Vs. silly sounding! Disease names & their impact!

FernRhizome

As the media buzzes with XMRV articles this week I was struck by the irony of the following sentence in one of the articles:

"The virus, dubbed XMRV for the awful-sounding xenotropic murine leukemia virus-related virus . . ."
from Cancer News Today

What a fast turnabout XMRV is making in the public understanding of CFS from the "silly sounding" name of "chronic fatigue syndrome" to something "awful-sounding."

Sunday

I agree about the name appropriateness, thanks for the spellout.

Although I can't help a frivolous response: what is a "virus-related virus"??? Is that like a chicken-related chicken? Or rice-related rice?

Dr. Yes

Shame on You
More like saying "a friend of a friend". (or of Friend) :Retro wink:

wow, I actually made a retrovirology pun

FernRhizome

You all got me laughing.....yes virus-related virus sounds so doubly viral intense! Scary for sure! Great retrovirology pun dr. yes....