• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Autonomic Neuropathy - What form of carnitine works better?

marcjf

Not sure if this is called peripheral or autonomic neuropathy, but my issue is that standing or sitting for an extended period of time has been resulting in burning feet, which takes a while to recover.

What form have you found that works better? I assume that either propionyl-l-carnitine (PLCAR) or acetyl-l-carnitine (ALCAR) could help

I am currently taking PLCAR, since it is used for leg circulation and it does not seem to have the insomnia side effect that some people report with ALCAR. Haven't seen much difference yet, but have not been super consistent with taking it, I guess.

ALCAR does seem to have more studies backing up its usage: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/labs/pmc/articles/PMC6498091/

There are studies using it from 500mg to 3000mg daily. I have not tried it yet?

Have anyone found it useful? At what dosage?