• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Autonomic markers, chronic fatigue syndrome, and post-exertion states.

Murph

:)
Autonomic markers, chronic fatigue syndrome, and post-exertion states.
Friedberg F1.

A large body of evidence suggests that autonomic imbalance, i.e.,hyperactive sympathetic nervous system and hypoactive para-sympathetic nervous system, is associated with a number of pathological conditions and diseases, and may be a final common pathway to increased morbidity and mortality [1].

Heart rate variability (HRV), a measure of inter-beat interval fluctuations and more broadly of para-sympathetic (vagal) activity has been successfully used to index auto-nomic imbalances [1]. HRV provides a conveniently assessed, non-invasive window onto the autonomic system. It should be noted that HRV is an indirect measure of autonomic output, as it measures the endorgan response to the autonomic nervous system.

Reduced HRV is associated with autonomic impairments that precede changes in the heart rate (HR) itself or other physiological measures of distress [2]. In addition to HRV, other cardiac measures including HR and time-to-recovery of resting HR after exposure to a stressor provide valid indices of centrally-mediated vagal inhibition of sympatho-excitatory circuits[3]

In chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS), several studies have found abnormalities in autonomic function, i.e.,HR and HRV,in comparison to healthy controls [4]. Current evidence points to chronic sympathetic hyper-arousal (particularly reduced HRV) in patients with CFS that persists even during sleep[5].

...This editorial argues for the conduct of new autonomic studies in CFS focused on post-exertion states as they may generate findings unique to this illness that ultimately could lead to a biomarker.

more in attached pdf:

Attachments

• 10.1016@j.jpsychores.2019.109845.pdf
    497.3 KB · Views: 8