• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Autoimmune Paleo protocol

I have struggled with My leaky gut for many years, trying everything. Now i have started the autoimmune paleo diet... It has only been à week so this might be to early, but i have not gotten these kinds of results before. The AIP is strick, but we are used to weird food right :)

I Will not outline the diet here, Google autoimmune paleo to get the protocol and the science behind. I am à patient of KDM and he always talks about this disease being an autoimmune disorder, and this diet is made for autoimmunity. Bascially it is paleo with more restrictions such as eggs, nuts ans seeds, and nightshades.

My brain fog is clearer than in years, My muscles feel less heavy and My tummy is flatter.

Has anyone else tried this diet?

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
Yeah and it didn´t help. It was too restrictive and that coupled with my neurological problems, pains and fatigue meant at the end of the day that I was undereating. Because with these diets making and buying the food is harder, at least for me anyway. I have settled now in something less grievous, I eat potatoes, grains etc but everything natural and avoiding tomatoes, milk, gluten, nuts most of the week etc.

knackers323

I have struggled with My leaky gut for many years, trying everything. Now i have started the autoimmune paleo diet... It has only been à week so this might be to early, but i have not gotten these kinds of results before. The AIP is strick, but we are used to weird food right :)

I Will not outline the diet here, Google autoimmune paleo to get the protocol and the science behind. I am à patient of KDM and he always talks about this disease being an autoimmune disorder, and this diet is made for autoimmunity. Bascially it is paleo with more restrictions such as eggs, nuts ans seeds, and nightshades.

My brain fog is clearer than in years, My muscles feel less heavy and My tummy is flatter.

Please let me know how this progresses.

I did the same thing and had big hopes initially as I felt an improvement to begin with but it didn't keep progressing.

maddietod

This is close to what I've been doing for 2 months (Wahls paleo), and I've had good results. I drink occasional water process decaf coffee, occasional cocoa, and I eat nuts and seeds. So that will be my next experiment - seeing what happens when I remove those.

After Christmas! I share Beyond's problem, that I risk under-eating when I change too much all at once. I'm depending on nuts for added protein at the moment, and I just like the taste of coffee and cocoa.

Daffodil

hi all. anyone else doing autoimmune paleo? I purchase the autoimmune paleo e-cookbook and it is very good.

I also noticed improvements in the beginning but they did not last. in general, I do feel less fatigued after eating, after having given up gluten.

I am still having some dairy; tests indicate I can have casein but not lactose. also, i still have corn and potatoes. i just recently gave up tomatoes...it is very hard! i wonder if i have to go this far, or if i can just follow the food testing KDM gave me, which is much less restrictive.

by the way, did you guys know there were Lactase Enzyme drops you can use in your dairy foods that will convert most of the lactose into glucose? you can make your own lactose-free milk!

maddietod

I got Ballantyne's autoimmune paleo book and got half way through it so far. That + her website (http://www.thepaleomom.com/autoimmunity/the-autoimmune-protocol) is where I get my information.

My foundation is still the strict version of Wahls, because I like her attention to micronutrients. I absolutely feel better when I avoid grains, legumes, dairy, and sugar. I can't eat nightshades, so potatoes are also out. This brings me very close to the autoimmune protocol. I eat some nuts every day, which Ballantyne allows if you're not allergic.

What's happened is that I'm finally used to not eating baked goods. Once in a while I'll eat a handful of GF crackers, or very rarely some gluten-free birthday cake. But I'm finally done with baking with substitutes for wheat. So the big shift is no grains or legumes, and making up the difference with a lot more colorful vegetables and fruits.

I cycle in and out of this diet - it's still hard for me to stick to. But when I'm successful, it only takes a few days for my brain fog to clear, for my driving range to increase, for my couch time to nosedive. I just spent a week at my mom's house taking care of her after a knee replacement. It was hard, and I'm tired, but the amazing thing is that I could do it...and not crash when I got home today.

tyson oberle

I have been on it for 3 weeks and I actually feel weaker. I can especially feel the weakness in my legs sometimes. I know some small portions of fruit are allowed on this diet but I have not had any because I am also doing FODMAPS at the same time. I wonder if I should add some fruits? I wonder how for long I should try this diet if I don't improve a little soon? As usual, I am not sure. I already haven't had grains or dairy in years. I also tried no peanut butter for a year (I love peanut butter) while eating no grains, dairy, nuts, or seeds with no major improvements. Yes this diet is strict, but it would be almost easy for me if I would get improvements. Being strict is much harder when there are no results.

MariaMagdalena

Hi All, I am resurrecting this thread since this is my current struggle. I have been diagnosed with CFS for the last 8 years, but recently was diagnosed with Sjogren's autoimmune disease, which is probably the cause of my CFS. I got put on a drug called Plaqunil for that and it has improved my fatigue/PEM situation dramatically, just in the 6 weeks I've been on it.

I was also recently tested for food allergies and diagnosed with leaky gut and put on an elimination diet. I didn't improve much from baseline with that so I decided to dive into the AIP. I've been doing diet changes and experiments with food eliminations since February, without much measurable improvement and with general worsening.

I decided on the AIP because it is just a few steps more restrictive than what I am already doing. Plus, from what I am learning about gut healing, there is no point in restricting heavily unless you are doing gut healing measures (like fermented veggies, and bone broth) at the same time. You'll just end up sensitive to the new foods you've swapped out.

I've been doing it for a week and the dramatic increase in my activity level (from having to prep everything from scratch, the cognitive difficulty of meal planning, the increase in kitchen prep work, and the learning curve) are overwhelming my resources and I am crashing again. On this diet they say the easiest way is to have a bulk cooking day. I did that and it was so exhausting, I don't think I can keep it up.

How the heck can you do a gut healing diet if you are so sick that your activity is restricted to begin with?

Heartl

It’s not easy, I’ve been doing this for 4 years. It is worth it but food is #1 priority on your mind all the time because your constantly prepping and or cooking. You do gradually have more energy if you stick with it.

MariaMagdalena

There is no way I can do this diet. I am in a crash state and flare of autoimmune. My advice to others would be to implement this diet as soon as you can if you have been diagnosed with an autoimmune disease, or are even in the process of getting a diagnosis, and believe you have an autoimmune disease. Or if you have CFS/ME and are still higher on the function scale (at least 40-50%). If you wait till you are very sick you won't be able to do it because of the PEM.

pattismith

I am with a zero gluten, zero dairy and low sugar diet since 2011. It is not a cure, but I am much worse if I don't stick to this diet.
Now after supplementing with iodine (for low T3 syndrome), I got auto-immune hyperthyroidism since last summer, so I started a low iodine diet (no salt / or Himalayan salt only, no sea product, no egg yolks); It is mainly a meat + green vegetables diet. It is close to paleo diet and doesn't need too much time nor energy for preparation.
I took high dose carnitine at the begining, and high dose lipoic acid (still on this one), and my thyroid hormons have normalized after about two/three months.
My antibodies anti TPO, anti TG and anti RTSH were all high, but now have started to go down after about 4/5 months.
This thyroid episode came with dysautonomia symptoms (typically associated with small fiber neuropathy).
These symptoms are still around, so I believe the antibodies causing it are a separate matter from the thyroid auto-immunity.
Sjogren has shown association to anti ETAR, muscarinic receptor M3 and anti AT1R antibodies, and I have all of them high. I may have undiagnosed Sjogren, as I have dry eyes but I don't have the typical antibodies usually found in this disease, so it is still an hypothesis.
I stick to this diet for now, and hope more improvement in the future...