• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Autoimmune diseases

Hope123

Thanks for posting this. Some features of CFS like the fact so many women get it are similar to autoimmune diseases which has always led me to wonder how many of us have autoimmune conditions in ourselves or in blood relatives. Autoimmune conditions I have heard about associated with CFS are Hashimoto's thyroiditis and Type 1 diabetes.

Does anyone have these or have other autoimmune diseases like lupus, multiple sclerosis, rheumatoid arthiritis, Sjogren's syndrome, Grave's disease, pernicious anemia in themselves or their families?

omerbasket

I have Crohn's disease, which is an autoimmune disease. The professor for reumathology in Israel which diagnosed me with fibromyalgia, is also a head of a research team in that area, and he said to me that his rsearch team found out that there are more percents crohn's diseasee patients within the group of fibromylagia patents than in the percents in the normal population (or perhaps it was that there are more percents of fibromylagia patients within the group of Crohn's disease pateints than the percents of fibromyalgia patients in the notmal population - but I think it was the first one).
It's also interesting to see the thread about rituximab, which is a drug for auto-immune diseases if I'm not mistaken, and which showed good results in 3 ME/CFS pateints.
Since the study about XMRV in ME/CFS, fibromyalgia etc was published, I kind of hope that it will turn out to be the cause for Crohn's disease, or at least for my intenstinal problem (which are, according to my doctor, not typical), which I know is selfish but let's addmit, everyone wants that first of all, he and his loved ones would be healthy.

andreamarie

I've had Crohn's disease for forty five yrs. CFS for fifteen. I was diagnosed with "fibrositis" that's what they called it in the old days thirty five yrs ago and told it accompanied all autoimmune diseases. I probably have Sjogren's and do have interstitial cystitis, which might be an autoimmune disease.

Dolphin

Thanks for posting this. Some features of CFS like the fact so many women get it are similar to autoimmune diseases which has always led me to wonder how many of us have autoimmune conditions in ourselves or in blood relatives. Autoimmune conditions I have heard about associated with CFS are Hashimoto's thyroiditis and Type 1 diabetes.

Does anyone have these or have other autoimmune diseases like lupus, multiple sclerosis, rheumatoid arthiritis, Sjogren's syndrome, Grave's disease, pernicious anemia in themselves or their families?
You, and anyone else interested in this, might be interested in this thread and paper: http://www.forums.aboutmecfs.org/sh...-with-ME-CFS-Blood-versus-non-blood-relatives.

Merry

Two of my first cousins, who are brother and sister, have MS. The mother (and she's my aunt, my mother's sister) of these two has rheumatoid arthritis. Also, a granddaughter of this woman has fibromyalgia.

Two other first cousins, both female and non-siblings, have Raynaud's syndrome. The sister of one of these suffers from gout. Another first cousin, male, also has gout. The two with gout are non-sibings.

These are all on my mother's side of the family. My mother, who died in 1997, I'm sure had CFS.

My youngest brother in middle age developed a rare autoimmune intestinal disorder. At the time of that diagnosis he was tested, too, for gluten intolerance and found to be positive.