• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

At Home, Online Vision Exams. Free for now!

Ema

Now you can renew your prescription at home from your computer in some states!

Once you answer a few basic health questions, you’ll begin the exam on your computer, where you’ll be given a link and access code to connect to the exam through your phone. Your phone acts as a remote control to select your answers.

If you already have contacts or glasses, you’ll wear them and provide your current prescription. Depending on your vision (I’m nearsighted), your questions may be different than mine. The exam begins with a color vision test, which you take from a regular seating distance from the computer.

After that, you’ll be asked an unusual question for an eye exam: What’s your shoe size? This is how you’ll know how many steps you need to take away from your computer (I needed to take 13, so make sure you have plenty of room).

At this point, the exam will feel like a typical eye exam, minus the pressure to give the right answer. (Once, during an in-person exam, I couldn’t read any of the letters on the chart. My optometrist then showed a huge letter “o” that filled the whole screen. That one I could see.)

To test your distance vision, the tests asks you to identify the X in a row of increasingly smaller O’s. For astigmatism (which I have), you’ll go through a series of questions that ask you to choose the square that appears clearest. During each, you’ll cover your right eye, and then your left, moving through the questions once on each side.

Overall, the test is simple, easy to understand and gives you encouraging notes throughout like, “Remember to breathe!” andYou’re doing great!” which I didn’t realize I needed during an eye exam until now.

https://www.thepennyhoarder.com/lif...804_ONLINEEYEEXAM0518&aff_unique2=ITR-1085621

rel8ted

Sincerely hoping people do not mistake this for an actual eye exam, which actual checks the health of your eyes and sometimes medical issues.

Ema

Sincerely hoping people do not mistake this for an actual eye exam, which actual checks the health of your eyes and sometimes medical issues.
That is not the point, as they clearly acknowledge.

Most states require a new prescription every year for contacts and every few years for glasses. People who have stable vision do not need a new exam every year as evidenced by the fact that contact lens prescriptions historically did not have these onerous restrictions.

Obviously this is not in place of a full exam by a qualified eye doctor, but could save a person with MECFS a trip out every other year, plus could also save some money. I fail to see how that could not be a benefit for the homebound who struggle greatly with this type of “routine” appointment.

rel8ted

The reason for yearly CLexams is to check for problems such as oxygen deprivation due to over wearing the lenses which leads to a whole host of issues. Someone who has ever developed a corneal ulcer will not take those yearly exams for granted.

I'm nor saying it isn't get out, just that those requirements are there for more reasons than just to make sure eye docs make enough income. I've seen a side of that which most here have not, therefore I feel differently. It is not a personal attack.