• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Article on "long-haulers" not recovering from COVID-19. Sound familiar?

YippeeKi YOW !!

But even all this aside, there are technologies that were developed by US military, but after some time they became available to public. GPS is probably the most famous one:
Hope springs eternal. I'm with 'ya Hipsman, just not as certain about the potential time-line before the 'shares-ies' part kicks in :woot::woot: :thumbsup:.

Booble

I think what makes it challenging is that there is a mind-body connection and scientists have trouble quantifying mind related issues and separating them from the somatic. Let's face it, when you feel like crud much of the time, your mind does get worried and that worry does exacerbate the physical. It's easy to throw us into the bucket of those whose problems are solely anxiety and depression related.

lenora

Yes, Booble, we may have change in the way of more money for researche (desperately needed, but ever so much better than years ago). I don't wish this upon anyone, but personally I feel that by summer's end we're all going to be affected somehow.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mary

Moderator Resource
I read that article today. In the long run, no one cares about chronic conditions and you will be told its all in your head. In a few years, after CV-19 goes away and there are lots of people resisting using masks, no one will care about the survivors of COVID anymore then they care about ME/CFS sufferers. Nothing will change at all.
I'm afraid I feel the same way. If the powers that be suddenly took ME/CFS seriously, how would they explain the previous 40 years of neglect and dismissal?

I think our best hope would be for someone in a position of power who makes these money decisions - actually preferably more than one of these persons - to get COVID-19 and suffer the lingering death-like after-effects. Maybe that would help cause a change of heart. Or maybe not. One would have thought that having the science writer for the Washington Post (and friend of Francis Collins) develop ME/CFS would have caused it to gain some credibility in the minds of these decision-makers - but no such luck!

Last edited:

Wolfcub

In the long run, no one cares about chronic conditions and you will be told its all in your head. In a few years, after CV-19 goes away and there are lots of people resisting using masks, no one will care about the survivors of COVID anymore then they care about ME/CFS sufferers. Nothing will change at all.
Sadly I think that's what happened to the SARS victims who never got better. More or less forgotten, and a heck of a lot of anxiety pills prescribed as I recall.

lenora

And yet meds for anxiety definitely have their place. Why make suffering people suffer even more? I was shocked when I first began having anxiety attacks...horrid things. They're bad enough, but when they go into panic attacks then someone is likely to hurt him/herself. Talk therapy works....but only a very few times. We can get it under control, but most of us are going to have it recur again in our lives.

Ecoclimber

SHOCKING": NEARLY ALL WHO RECOVERED FROM COVID-19 HAVE HEALTH ISSUES MONTHS LATER

Many recovered coronavirus patients who did not need to be hospitalized are still facing serious health problems months later, according to a study commissioned by the Longfonds.

While 94 percent say they do not feel as healthy as they did before the viral infection, some 60 percent of this group said they still have breathing symptoms which make it difficult to take a walk, and nearly half are unable to exercise, Longfonds director Michael Rutgers said in a statement. "We find this really shocking."

.....These recovered patients told researchers that they still suffer from symptoms like tightness in the chest, fatigue, headaches, or shortness of breath almost three months after recovering. 85 percent of participants said they were in good health before getting the coronavirus. Only six percent said that their health is back to what it was before their infection. The average age of those surveyed was 53....

https://nltimes.nl/2020/06/12/shocking-nearly-recovered-covid-19-health-issues-months-later

Eco

Last edited:

lenora

Yes, that's in keeping with everything I've read. Those who have had the virus are still suffering from the after-effects of it. Actually it seems that if you've recovered you tend to stay that way; if you haven't, then there's really something wrong.

Imagine having all (or even a lot of) the symptoms we put up with daily plus breathing difficulties. Poor souls really are victims, aren't they? A pity. Yours, Lenora

Hipsman

From all these articles I get a feeling that sometimes media use post covid syndrome as a way to show that we don't have drugs and treatments to deal with covid (they did oppose everything suggested to treat, diagnose or prevent covid: hydroxychloroquine, high dose vit c, etc...)

Now this works in our favor, so it's a good thing for once, I guess!

lenora

I can never get into The Washington Post, Aerowallah. I get enough newspapers and refuse to pay for one more. I wouldn't mind but they don't even let you have one free peek at what's going on.

Perhaps you could just condense it into something that can be followed. I'm sorry, I tried. Yours, Lenora.

lenora

From all these articles I get a feeling that sometimes media use post covid syndrome as a way to show that we don't have drugs and treatments to deal with covid (they did oppose everything suggested to treat, diagnose or prevent covid: hydroxychloroquine, high dose vit c, etc...)

Now this works in our favor, so it's a good thing for once, I guess!

Personally, I don't think they're graphic enough with the after-effects that those who for whatever reason have. Pehaps their's was a particularly bad case, perhaps it depended upon the length of exposure....but like I've said before, if there is post-viral infection going on, they'll join us and that can't be bad. I agree with you. Yours, Lenora.

YippeeKi YOW !!

I can never get into The Washington Post, Aerowallah. I get enough newspapers and refuse to pay for one more. I wouldn't mind but they don't even let you have one free peek at what's going on.
Perhaps you could just condense it into something that can be followed. I'm sorry, I tried. Yours, Lenora.

There's no cost attached. It is, as you put it, a "free peek".

Just click on the link and the article will appear in another tab, usually at the top of your computer screen. Click on that tab, and the article will open for you, free of charge.

I dont think any of us are up to reading and condensing an article, then posting that condensation here.

"I have sympathy for people with chronic fatigue syndrome now, and I believe this disease fast-tracks you into experiencing these symptoms." Professor of infectious diseases Paul Garner
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05-19/covid-fatigue-one-of-worst-symptons-patients-say/12252602

further down in the article . . . St Vincents Hospital in Sydney (Prof Greg Dore) running 12 month study on post COVID . . .

Professor Tania Sorrell, director of the Marie Bashir Institute for Infectious Diseases and Biosecurity at the University of Sydney and says patients will need to be followed for a long time to fully understand COVID-19 recovery . . . talking 2 years
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05-24/coronavirus-recovery-sydney-mans-story-two-months-on/12259798

lenora

Thanks,@zumba girl. It's always nice to know what's occurring in different parts of the world. I was one of the original cases of CFS/FM or ME as it's now know. At least this group has the benefit of being believed...and I say good for them. I'm now 73 and never was able to return to school or work. A few fairly good days give you hope, but that's all it is.

On the other hand, I don't want to see them saddled with these wretched symptoms for the rest of their lives. It's all rather devastating for them and their loved ones. Still, somehow we learn to make new lives out of the old...the original Phoenix, I guess. Please keep me posted, I'd like that. Yours, Lenora.
Hi Everyone!

I hope it's OK if I contribute an article to this thread.

It's about a doctor at UCSF who has been ill with COVID 19 off and on for 80+ days.

As most doctors don't "believe" that a COVID 19 infection can persist, or elicit a post-viral syndrome, perhaps this particular doctor may lend some "credibility" to this phenomenon and become an ally for post-COVID 19 patients in the months to come.

One can hope!

www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/amp/The-curious-case-of-the-SF-doctor-who-s-been-15304660.php

Interesting, Zebra, thanks for sending. Yours, Lenora.

Rvanson

I suspect that finding out why some covid patients dont make a full recovery will not be that hard and will probably be found to be due to damage to the lungs and cardiovascular system. My prediction is that a connection to me/cfs wont be found. But it might mean that more me/cfs patients get proper medical investigation.

That ain't going to happen. I wish it would, but it won't. You have to know the government doesnt give a damn about us.

lenora

Hello @Rvanson....It's good to see you here again.

As always, it depends on what you read and what you've read that is an indication of how matters are working out for say Long Haul patients and those of us with ME. At the very least I think we can hope for at least an understanding of post viral symptoms and that, indeed, they do exist and some people simply never recover.

Personally (just my view) I've never thought the answer lay in just one thing or the other....it's different things for different people. I hope with all my heart that at least decent treatment of symptoms will be found for all who suffer....whether it's COVID or ME. I know that in my time my symptoms have changed....moved from one area to another or in some cases, simply disappeared without any special fanfare. Of course I've been fortunate enough to escape the newest viruses....but don't you get sick of being in the house so much? I do.

The young should do as much as possible while they have the willingness and some energy to overcome this matter as much as they can.

I'm totally amazed at what my body has survived through all of this, including my now fractured pelvis in five places plus a fractured vertebra. You know I'm healing and I'm even undergoing a careful amount of PT. It's the first time I've had the joy of seeing & feeling my body recover. I'm getting better day by day and even though I do work at it....the body is capable of healing. Yes, there are very bad times, but we also need to credit and educate ourselves as much as possible. Progress is being made but we're rather stuck with so many other orphan illnesses.

Just don't forget to take care of your bones (investigate carefully first...I'm now returning to vitamins, minerals and enzymes) b/c that seems like an age thing until you're hit in your younger years. Men too, if you're over 70. I'm now 75 and expect it...but lay the foundation much earlier if possible. Better health. Yours, Lenora.