• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Article: Garlic: Virus-Killer; Libido-Booster

One solution to the breath problem may be to take allicin tablets instead. Allicin is one of the antiviral components of garlic. Apparently one 180 mg capsule of allicin is equivalent to 80 cloves of garlic.

Whether allicin also can also fire up the libido is a question that only experimentation can answer.

Some people are also experimenting with allicin as an antiviral treatment for CFS.

I enjoyed your post, Kelvin. It was very enlightening, and the topic is too little discussed and written about. Thank you for tackling it with grace and aplomb.

Sincerely,

B.E. Girl

P.S. It is seriously wonderful to know that their is a writer on board who is creative and descriptive. I do believe there is a novel in you.

Another method is to make sure you BOTH eat garlic. Years ago, if I had to travel with a particular male colleague, I used to chew garlic beforehand, not to boost my libido but to kill his! But loving garlic as much as I do, I just make sure that both my husband and I eat it at the same meal. I don't know if it boosts anything, but it certainly guarantees that we will at least share a bed.

Amusing (but serious) article, Kelvin, thank you.

I've been an afficionado of raw garlic eating for over 20 years, and have been aware of its antiviral properties. Although, I haven't heard about the libido enhancement - certainly works as a good prophylactic if only one partner indulges, but as Martlett says, easily solved by eating the same dish...although I often find myself chopping extra raw garlic on top (as well as the whole chilis - think it's all part of my endorphin addiction, which I can't feed with exercise anymore!!),

Now, over the last couple of years I've been taking allicin capsules. My understanding is that as soon as raw garlic is chopped, the allicin breaks down and becomes ineffective. Recently they claim to have found a way of stabilising the allicin, so this is what I take. What I've found is that it reduces the frequency and severity of the chest infections I am prone to, so seems to work well.

Due to cost I only take one capsule a day, then maybe three when I have an infection. Might be interesting to see whether high dose allicin could be effective for XMRV...or is that extreme wishful thinking........although I'm looking forward to sustaining that 3 hour erection if nothing else :D

Glad this is being discussed, as i mentioned using this quite exstensively for a long time, during my gradual getting symptoms under control, though i used Raw garlic, im skepical chopping it will stop the antiviral properties, as obviously chewing it whole will in effect chop it ? chopped on a large variety salad ( something else i did a lot of as some salad veg also has anti viral properties onion radish ect ) no juice will be lost chopped onto a plate, i doubt air would affect it if eaten straight away. I also belive the natural variety is likely better, as there could be other substances in Garlic that will be lost processing it.Breath is something secondary to sever symptoms for me personally. a way to test chopped natural against artificial processed garlic would be to culture bacteria or a virus, then add it to the dish, and see if the organisms grow away from it. Ill bet natural works just as good if not better. But i might be wrong, im just a firm beliver of the natural anything, as opposed to processd, this includes vitamins

Any experience with garlic?

Potential use of liposomal diallyl sulfide in the treatment of experimental murine candidiasis.
In the present study, we evaluated the potential of a liposomal formulation of the garlic oil component DAS (diallyl sulfide) in treating disseminated infection caused by the intracellular opportunistic pathogen Candida albicans in experimental mice.
The results of the present study showed that treatment with DAS-bearing liposomes (12 mg/kg b.w.) resulted in the highest survival rate in animals. Liposomal DAS also significantly decreased residual fungal load in vital organs of experimental animals compared with the free form of DAS. The liposomal DAS was also found to be free of toxic manifestations as revealed by the erythrocyte lysis test and liver/kidney function tests. The results of the present study established that the antifungal activity of DAS, a poorly soluble compound, can be enhanced by the incorporation of it into liposomes.

Interesting that diallyl trisulfate (DATS) can kill glioblastoma cells (brain tumour)
Multi-targeted DATS prevents tumor progression and promotes apoptosis in ectopic glioblastoma xenografts in SCID mice via HDAC inhibition.
Collectively, our results clearly demonstrated that DATS could be an effective therapeutic agent in preventing tumor progression and inducing apoptosis in human glioblastoma in vivo, without impairing hepatic function.

Do you marinate your garlic in oil, or do you crush the cloves with salt and let sit for 15 minutes? :)