• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Arthritis drug shows 'significant' promise in severe COVID-19 cases: study

pattismith

:thumbsup:
If I were hit by severe covid, I wouldn't be happy to receive Remdesivir that showed very limited effect (and not in all studies) , but would be more pleased to be given Tocilizumab (I probably won't have the choice though!:confused:)

The arthritis drug tocilizumab has shown early promise in preventing extreme inflammation in Covid-19 patients, according to a French clinical study carried out by the Paris public hospitals group, AP-HP.

"The study has shown comprehensively that fewer patients on oxygen with breathing difficulties needed to be transferred to intensive care (when treated with tocilizumab)," Professor Jacques Eric Gottenberg, rheumatology department head at the CHU Strasbourg hospital, told RFI in an interview on Tuesday.

The study, carried out by Paris public hospitals (AP-HP), looked at 129 people hospitalised with moderate or severe viral pneumonia, which occurs in 5-10 percent of Covid-19 patients.

The treatment, which suppresses the body's natural immune response, was found to reduce "significantly" the number of deaths or life support interventions compared with a control group of patients.

Half received two injections of tocilizumab as well as standard treatment with antibiotics, while the control group received only standard treatment.

While the results are yet to be published, those involved in the research said it showed clear "clinical benefit" of tocilizumab treatment.
AP-HP stressed however that further research was needed on the effectiveness of the drug and the potential for side effects.

"If these results are confirmed, the advantage of this drug is that it is already available in all hospital pharmacies and can be used very quickly. It’s one or two injections for each patient," adds Gottenberg.
Tocilizumab currently costs around 800 euros per injection. It is a lab-synthesised antibody, sold under the brand names Actemra and RoAcemtra, commonly used to treat rheumatoid arthritis.

antares4141

:thumbsup:
If I were hit by severe covid, I wouldn't be happy to receive Remdesivir that showed very limited effect (and not in all studies) , but would be more pleased to be given Tocilizumab (I probably won't have the choice though!:confused:)

I was mostly interested in the prospect that if it inhibits cytokine storms in Covid19 maybe it could do the same for CFS?

"Researchers believe the drug might be able to stave off a state of heightened immune response known as cytokine storms—where the body's reaction to a foreign body such as a disease or chemical creates acute inflammation."