• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Armour Thyroid and the 'missed'diagnosis of Hypothyroidism.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
justy

Just a comment about "pushing through"symptoms--I wouldn't risk it without a full set of thyroid tests. When I said I got into "trouble" from being hyperthyroid, it meant very serious atrial fibrillation and 2 visits to the Emergency Room. My subsequent tests showed that I was extremely hyperthyroid and that was just on 30 mg of Armour.

Best,
Sushi

L'engle

moogle
I also was advised to push through adverse reactions to armour thyroid. I had become wired at first and then had a horrible crash before asking for advice from the prescribing gp. I never did try to push through because the symptoms were so awful. This was on only a very small amount of armour but I dissolved it sublingually instead of swallowing it.

roxie60

I also was advised to push through adverse reactions to armour thyroid. I had become wired at first and then had a horrible crash before asking for advice from the prescribing gp. I never did try to push through because the symptoms were so awful. This was on only a very small amount of armour but I dissolved it sublingually instead of swallowing it.

do you think maybe using sublingually you got more of the dose than if it had traveled to the GI tract to be absorbed??

L'engle

moogle
do you think maybe using sublingually you got more of the dose than if it had traveled to the GI tract to be absorbed??

I think so, yes. I never swallowed one though so I don't know. I figure anything that can be absorbed that way will by pass some degradation and be used more efficiently.

roxie60

I think so, yes. I never swallowed one though so I don't know. I figure anything that can be absorbed that way will by pass some degradation and be used more efficiently.

I guess my question is Armour suppose to be taken sublingually or swallowed? I may have hypothyroid and I am thinking I would prefer the more natural option of Armour than synthroid. Just wanting to know how one takes this medicine.

SOC

I guess my question is Armour suppose to be taken sublingually or swallowed? I may have hypothyroid and I am thinking I would prefer the more natural option of Armour than synthroid. Just wanting to know how one takes this medicine.

Normally it is taken swallowed. The recommended dose takes into account inefficiencies in absorption by that method.

L'engle

moogle
@ roxie60. The normal recommendation is to swallow it. I dissolved it myself because after learning how things are used more efficiently it seemed like a waste to swallow it and use up more. However I was given a blanket prescription with the understanding that I would monitor the does mysel. I took an amount so small it would be hard to even say how much. If a gp tells you to take a specific amount though, best to take that amount and swallow it. I wouldn't advise people to do what I did, I'm just reporting my experience.

Also, as the prescribing doctor is several hours away, I had a keen interest in making my supply last.

roxie60

That may not be the case, some medicine are manufactured in a manner to release the appropriate dose based on expected / recommended method of taking the medicine. If you took medicine sublingually that was intended to be taken orally I would be concerned that you would not receive the correct dosage and possibly cause unintended consequences. I have had gut issues at times so I understand the desire to get the medicine 'in' but I hope you did not hurt yourself by taking it sublingually unless you had a variety that was intended to be taken sublingually. Wanting the best results for you.

roxie60

@ roxie60. The normal recommendation is to swallow it. I dissolved it myself because after learning how things are used more efficiently it seemed like a waste to swallow it and use up more. However I was given a blanket prescription with the understanding that I would monitor the does mysel. I took an amount so small it would be hard to even say how much. If a gp tells you to take a specific amount though, best to take that amount and swallow it. I wouldn't advise people to do what I did, I'm just reporting my experience.

Also, as the prescribing doctor is several hours away, I had a keen interest in making my supply last.

I understand what you are saying

L'engle

moogle
roxie60. Thanks. It was three years ago so have trouble actually remembering what happened. I think it disintegrated quickly in my mouth because the amount I tried was so small and it didn't seem worth swallowing. I never did finish the bottle and got rid of it a year later.

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
justy, Have you had your free T3 tested? Even if you have enough free T4, your body may be converting it to reverse T3 instead of T3. T3 is what your cells need. Reverse T3 is basically a waste product.

undcvr

After years around I can say that Thyroid is an important part of the puzzle for many in these boards. I want to put my hands in some good dessicated thyroid to try!

I do not like the idea of being in porcine hormones for life though. Would prefer to find the deeper reason why thyroid started malfunctioning. Caledonia has this theory that in some cases thyroid is not working right because of glutathione depletion that causes HPA disturbances.

Did you look at my comment on systemic enzymes allowing pple to actually go off their thyroid med ? Immune system goes haywire and attacks the thyroid, you need to get your immune system to stop doing that.

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
Yeah and immune system goes haywire because of...? In my case I have no doubt the answer is genetic polymorphisms plus exposure to heavy metals (aluminum especially at the onset of my illness) and other types of stress, such as emotional.

undcvr

The immune system can go crazy bcos of many things but mostly it all comes down to long term stress and abuse - physical, emotional, psychological. We are all suffeing from post traumatic stress disorder lol.