• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Arginine and Viruses

What's the deal with arginine and viruses? I've heard that it's not good to take arginine (and precursors citrulline and ornithine) if you have viruses, but I don't know why. Part of the reason I'm starting this thread is because I have Lyme and I want to know if people with Lyme (and accompanying coinfections) also need to avoid arginine.

Although I didn't take arginine when I had lyme, I am taking it now after finding what cured my lyme and it works well for the excessive urination. According to Kalish, if there is excessive urea in your body, you can get it out by supplementing with 3-10g arginine. I found l-arginine alphaketoglutarate works better for me than just l-arginine even when I took the same number of molecules of l-arginine. I get mine from bulk supplements.

I know excessive urination is a sign of diabetes, but my insulin, glucose, and HbA1c (long-term measure of insulin/glucose function) are all normal. Hope your lyme is cured by the time your reading this, and if you want you can read about my experience with lyme: https://forums.phoenixrising.me/threads/my-experience-with-lyme-disease.83923/

keenly

I have just started taking Arginine for POTS. I avoided for years due to believing it could increase so called 'viral load', which I now believe is nonsense.

xploit316

I have just started taking Arginine for POTS. I avoided for years due to believing it could increase so called 'viral load', which I now believe is nonsense.

What benefits did you notice from Arginine supplementation? I too seem to do well on foods with higher arginine to lysine ratio.

Violeta

Although I didn't take arginine when I had lyme, I am taking it now after finding what cured my lyme and it works well for the excessive urination. According to Kalish, if there is excessive urea in your body, you can get it out by supplementing with 3-10g arginine. I found l-arginine alphaketoglutarate works better for me than just l-arginine even when I took the same number of molecules of l-arginine. I get mine from bulk supplements.

I know excessive urination is a sign of diabetes, but my insulin, glucose, and HbA1c (long-term measure of insulin/glucose function) are all normal. Hope your lyme is cured by the time your reading this, and if you want you can read about my experience with lyme: https://forums.phoenixrising.me/threads/my-experience-with-lyme-disease.83923/

Your experience with arginine is very interesting. Have you ever had bad reactions to foods with high arginine:lysine ratio. (I do, but am wondering if it might be that it's not the arginine that's causing the issues.)

Have you heard of diabetes insipidus? The symptom is frequent urination, excessive thirst, but not high blood sugar. It is caused by a lack of ARGININE vasopressin. But I never tried arginine because of the info about it being bad for viral load.

Diabetes insipidus was my first symptom and it started at a very young age. The only thing that I can figure out that caused it was a vaccination. I used to read in a group specifically for that and there were parents of many kids that came down with it post vaccine.

Last edited: