• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Are we aging quickly as healthy folks?

I am 40 years old and have been ill for 18 years
I've tried all kinds of supplements antiage and I'm starting to despair, i keep going sicker and sicker ( already severe ) .
I wonder if this disease makes us age faster? How long can we live with it?
I have friends with ME who, strangely , look younger than they are.
In my case, there is something in my face that makes me look younger or youthful.

pattismith

I am 40 years old and have been ill for 18 years
I've tried all kinds of supplements antiage and I'm starting to despair, i keep going sicker and sicker ( already severe ) .
I wonder if this disease makes us age faster? How long can we live with it?
I have friends with ME who, strangely , look younger than they are.
In my case, there is something in my face that makes me look younger or youthful.

some ME/CFS may be in a subgroup with iron deficiency.
Iron deficiency makes you look younger and protects skin from aging.

Are you in this subgroup?

Hufsamor

I THINK i read once, but I don’t have the energy to look it up..
Many people with me/ cfs are hyper flexible/ hyper mobility.
It can make your skin flexible in a not-so-flattering way,
but I’ve read that if you have only a small amount of hyper mobility,
it can make your skin look nice and young. Flexible skin like a baby.
But I have no idea if it’s true

Really? Says who?
i have the scientific paper from Germany from psyrembel, and i searched quickly in English: whatever, if you want to know, you just have to google and search for mortality. 25 years less than normal people. causes of death: organ failure, cancer.
https://www.pschyrembel.de/Chronisches Fatigue-Syndrom/K0772

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5218818/

if you are in fb groups, you can see that every 2-3 weeks a folk dies and the age are from 23 till 55.....usually young people. and the cause is not suicide.

Hufsamor

The study mentioned in the English article is not impressing.

«Family, friends, and caregivers of deceased individuals with ME or CFS were recruited through social media, patient newsletters, emails, and advocate websites. This study analyzed data including cause and age of death for 56 individuals identified as having ME or CFS.»

If you did the same kind of studie with car owners, who had or had not gotten their car stolen, I’m pretty sure most of the people who would make contact would the the ones who had their vehicle stolen. With the scientific results that almost 100% of car owners get their car stolen

There have been done much better studies later. They all turn out a bit different from each other, but no other study gets the result of missing 20-25 years.

Last edited:

Hufsamor

https://www.meresearch.org.uk/mortality-in-mecfs/

(An article from 2016)

A new study just published in the Lancet, the largest examination to date of outcomes in patients from the UK, tends to confirm these findings for overall mortality.
In the study, researchers at King’s College London used data-mining techniques to examine the medical records of 2147 people with ME/CFS who had been referred by their GPs to the CFS service in London. Over a 7-year period (2007–2013), only 17 of the patients had died: 8 from cancer, 5 from suicide, and 4 from other causes.
When these mortality rates were compared with matched population data from the Office of National Statistics,
the overall rate of deaths from all causes was no higher in ME/CFS patients than in the general population, and there was no difference in the rate of deaths from cancer. These findings will come as a relief to many patients and their families, particularly those who have been ill for many years.

Emmarose47

I've been more concerned about my overall health lately and ageing...
I'm 2 yrs housebound and I def feel ill. I can only see without walking about enough and using the body in ways that maintain health.. Yes I will die younger..
But I don't know that it's just how I feel.
I've always looked younger than I am bit now I've aged....