• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

anyone's core temperature drop with exertion?

helen41

I had exercise testing done, and my temperature dropped 1.1 degree F over the 8 minute exercise period, as opposed to increasing like it's supposed to. Has anyone else experienced similar problems?

floydguy

I had exercise testing done, and my temperature dropped 1.1 degree F over the 8 minute exercise period, as opposed to increasing like it's supposed to. Has anyone else experienced similar problems?

Pretty sure that is typical with CFS and one of the things that is noted during physical fatigue testing.

I've not taken my temp while exercising, but I have taken it after over-doing and there is a definite drop. I use my temp to gage if I need more rest. If it's low, I rest until my temp approaches normal.

My understanding also is that lowered temperature when, or after, exercising is normal for people with ME/CFS.

Mya Symons

Mya Symons
I have noticed that after I exercise, I become cold. However, I have not taken my temperature afterwords. Next time I exercise I will try it (which probably won't be soon :)) I was in the hospital a few months ago because of severe pain due to something unrelated to cfs and they took my temperature several times. It dropped from 98.7 down to 96.4. The doctors couldn't figure out what was going on. I wonder if it has to do with a cfs reaction to stress on the body?

urbantravels

disjecta membra
One of my major CFS symptoms in general is terrible cold chills. Not necessarily only at moments of exertion; a feeling of cold chills is one of my earliest warnings that it's going to be a 'bad day,' and I know that the chills will only get worse when I exert myself. I've taken my temperature a number of times and it is either normal or on the low side of normal (around 96.7 or so) when I have these sensations of extreme cold. I haven't taken my temperature on any systematic basis, though. I've never had a fever with CFS, even at times when I feel "feverish" - sometimes I get a sensation of being too hot for no apparent reason. But the cold chills are much more common.

floydguy

My body temp is definitely on the low side. The last time in the doc's office it was 96.1. Interesting what it would be after exercise. Much lower and it would approach hypothermia :worried:

Mya, you said, "I was in the hospital a few months ago because of severe pain due to something unrelated to cfs and they took my temperature several times. It dropped from 98.7 down to 96.4. The doctors couldn't figure out what was going on. I wonder if it has to do with a cfs reaction to stress on the body? "

I've wondered if the lowered body temp is because we've used up so much of our ATP (energy) that there's not enough left to make a normal body temperature. Also my heart rate lowers. Again, do I simply not have enough ATP to keep my heart pumping at a regular rate?

cigana

This is a classic symptoms of adrenal insufficiency, usually caused itself by being hypothyroid. Have you had a salivary cortisol test?

Mark