• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone with Anxiety/OCD and mutations in SLC6A4, HTR2A, AADC enzyme?

Anyone with Anxiety/OCD and mutations in SLC6A4, HTR2A, DRD2, AADC enzyme? SSRI's have helped me a lot but still have OCD. Tried 5 HTP at 10mg dose but that gives me a headache. Any thoughts or ideas to reduce OCD and Anxiety?

outdamnspot

Magnesium L-Theronate was the only supplement that's ever positively improved my OCD (back when I tolerated it; can't take any forms of Mg anymore, unfortunately)

Hope4

Desert of SW USA
I"ll add a few to the list:

Inositol is a known supplement for OCD and anxiety.
Others find tiny amounts of magnesium throughout the day helpful.
Lithium orotate helps others.

GABA, too.

@Hip has a thread here at PR on supplements for anxiety.

Hip

@Hip has a thread here at PR on supplements for anxiety.

That thread is here, but the treatment it details (which includes the anti-inflammatory supplement N-acetyl-glucosamine) works for generalized anxiety disorder (GAD), but if I remember correctly, @racerbiker39 has panic disorder. Both are forms of anxiety disorder, but I think my treatment works primarily just for GAD.

Panic disorder is characterized by panic attacks, which are periods lasting 5 to 20 minutes where the sympathetic nervous system becomes activated, and adrenaline is pumped int the blood.

Panic attacks have been linked to acidity in the brain, see: Panic Attacks as a Problem of pH.