• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

anyone try celery juice for POTS?

I'm thinking I might juice celery and drink it before a meal to help POTS symptoms. I was reading it can also help with dysbiosis because it increases stomach HCl. Have you tried it, and what were your results?

nanonug

@Hip already answered the relevant question. I just want to add that there are certain prescription drugs that may help with POTS. In case of POTS with high blood pressure, a medication such as metoprolol may do the trick while for those with normal or low-normal blood pressure, ivabradine is very promising.

Thanks all, I was mainly just looking for anecdotal experiences (there aren't any studies on celery & POTS), I should have put that in my original post. I thought it might help increase electrolyte/mineral status (being high in sodium) but not sure how strong the diuretic effect is.

Just a quick review of my personal celery juice experiment, n=1

Top line conclusion: It failed hard. I had a very bad reaction.

Myself: ME diagnosis (Canada criteria) from 2007, verified twice. Homebound but not bedbound.

Background for experiment: lots of articles and media noise about the broad range of claimed health benefits you can get from drinking celery juice. E.g. reduce fatigue and improve thyroid function (Hashimoto's) among others.

Why did I think I would be a good celery juice candidate: I can tolerate most foods, have no food allergies. I have a stable and good digestion. I struggle with fatigue, cognitive issues and have Hashimoto's. I do not have POTS.

Celery juice experiment: For 10 straight days I drank ca 16 oz (5 dl) of organic celery juice every morning on an empty stomach. The juice was made with a slow-juicer. I drank the celery juice fresh, straight after juicing. I waited one hour before drinking or eating anything else. All this is "by the book", i.e. done correctly according to the celery juice experts online.

Results: The first 2-3 days I had some loose stools and some "movement" and noise from my belly. A little bit of bloating, but not much. From day 4 to 10 I had no problem with digestion, perfectly normal stool. From day 1 I started to feel worse. Increase in symptoms like: more fatigue, more "wired but tired", more tinnitus, more cognitive problems (concentration/memory/focus), increased heartbeat frequency (bpm).

Gradually it just got worse, day by day. My first thought was Herxheimer's reactions, then I thought about the metabolic trap theory, suggesting possible treatments could imply feeling worse for a few days. Then, the last 2-3 days was just pure stubbornness from my side. I wanted to give celery juice a proper go. When I stopped after day 10 it was a relief. I was in a really bad condition, practically bedbound.

I am now two days after "day 10" and close to being back to my baseline condition. Still not there yet. For me, celery juice was a horrible experience.

All the best,
robson

Last edited: