• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone Tried Probiotics for Nose? (can be used to improve bacterial flora, treat chronic sinusitis or other nasal infections)

Hipsman

Just recently learned that our nose/throat/nasopharynx have bacterial flora, and just like with gut, if it's damaged, it can lead to health problems. Anyone researched this topic?

I'm going to do a trial using normal probiotic in powder form from local pharmacy.
Will use similar process as described in this video:

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
We did try one for my mom because she has horrible sinus issues. I think she is histamine intolerant. However, even though initially it seemed like it would help, it did not. :(

The probiotic Infantis does dry up her sinuses but she takes that by mouth in powder form. We get it from custom probiotics. It is very expensive but the bottle has lasted in the refrigerator for a very long time and she only takes a small amount when she needs it. We don't use it all the time though because I'm not sure how it affects her diverticulitis.

I'm planning on getting some khella seeds next and making an tea or extract of them to see if that would help. Khella is what they make cromolyn from. However, when we tried the Nasalcrom that did not work either.

So our go-tos are the Infantis, b6 & zinc, brigham tea, and children's benedryl (just about an 1/8 of a chewable). We have to be careful though because she also has COPD.

One suggestion I would make is to keep a food diary (at least a mental one) and note when you have a flair up of sinus issues. Ask yourself what you ate beforehand and try to eliminate any foods that seem problematic. I also used to have horrible sinuses and cleared mine almost completely by doing this. Don't forget the environmental things as well like fragrance and cleaning chemicals.

Hipsman

OK, so I did DIY nose probiotic for around 1.5month in December. I used Ukrainian probiotic in powder form, it was originally designed to be used orally with water. It contains: Lactobacillus bulgaricus, Lactobacillus rtiamnosus, Lactobacillus sakei, Bifidobacterium bifidum, Bifidobacterium adolescentis.

For administration, I did nasopharengial swabs in both nostrils once daily. I already did allot of such swabs for this treatment, so it was easy to just continue doing them.

1)I made a solution of 1.8ml water (measured with syringe) and around 100-300mg of probiotic, mixed together for few minutes in a small glass cup.

2)Then I used long cotton swabs and applied this solution on the cotton just like shown in this video, timecode 2:34.

3)Then used the same procedure that is shown at timecode 6:46 in this video. Didn't go the throat route, only nose route.

Didn't notice any improvements in ME/CFS, but my parents say my nasal drip got better, thou I personally haven't noticed a difference. Also, for a long time I had an issue where if I drink from the same cup all the time, then after a week or two the bottom surface gets slippery, as if some bacteria colonized it (cleaning the cup gets rid of it), now that's gone, I haven't found that happening even after a month of drinking from the same cup.

Last edited:

Hipsman

Forgot to mention, the rest of solution that didn't absorb in cotton I shorted (drank with nostril)

gbells

Improved ME from 2 to 6
The two things that matter for bacteria are 1) whether you have a high meat low vegetable or low meat/high vegetable (best) diet and 2) how much glyfosate exposure you have (it puts bacteria to sleep). Alcohol consumption can also affect this because high proof alcohol is antibacterial in the mouth.