• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone seen/heard Dr Chia lately?

EddieB

I had a biopsy back in December that was sent to Dr Chia for entero virus testing. My doctors, as well as the lab that processed the samples, have tried to contact for the results. Crickets. I can’t even get to a live person on the phone, just voicemail. I know he’s not taking new patients, but the gastrologist that did the biopsy says he spoke with him about how to take the proper samples.
Anyone had any contact with him or his staff lately? Thanks.

Hip

I heard that Dr Chia has taken an interest in COVID patients, and so I guess may be busier than usual during this pandemic. Other than that, I don't know much.

If you are keen to get tested for enterovirus, you can also look into the ARUP Lab coxsackievirus B and echovirus antibody tests that Dr Chia uses. Your doctor should be able to order these, and you can interpret the results without having to get Dr Chia onboard, as Chia has publicized the correct way to interpret these tests.

godlovesatrier

I'm sure someone mentioned on another thread that they rang Chia's office and the staff were really rude to that person. They were demanding insurance I believe instead of allowing that person to pay with their own money. I think they also said that they believed Chia's office was having difficulty maybe coping with numbers. Maybe because of covid, not sure.

Zebra

Hi, @EddieB

I'm afraid I don't have any information, but I did want to empathize and say, "that totally sucks"!

I mean, you went thru this procedure, the pathology lab properly prepared and sent the slides, and now you can't get through to someone on the phone? That's ridiculous!

I recall contacting their lab, several years ago, using an email address. You might be able to find that online, if you haven't already tried that route.

Best of luck!

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
@EddieB, this place says they are not affiliated with Dr Chia but maybe they have another way to contact him or possibly another doctor they work with on this: https://www.enterovirusfoundation.org/overview

There is also a contact form on the Equilibrant website here: https://www.equilibranthealth.com/contact.html#/

I think his son was running that so maybe you could try that way as well. I did send them a question a couple years back but they never responded so maybe it would be another dead end but at least something else to try.

EddieB

@EddieB, this place says they are not affiliated with Dr Chia but maybe they have another way to contact him or possibly another doctor they work with on this: https://www.enterovirusfoundation.org/overview

There is also a contact form on the Equilibrant website here: https://www.equilibranthealth.com/contact.html#/

I think his son was running that so maybe you could try that way as well. I did send them a question a couple years back but they never responded so maybe it would be another dead end but at least something else to try.
I will give that a try, thank you.
And thank you all for the comments and support 😊

EddieB

*Update*
I tried emailing the Enterovirus Foundation as Judee suggested, but did not hear back.

My wife called the local lab that processed the samples again today. This time she actually got a person, and after several transfers, got to the person that handled my samples.

They said that they had spoken to both Dr Chia and EV Labs. They said EV Labs has my samples, has been very busy (understandably), and should get to them in the next couple weeks. So we’ll see.

EddieB

Dr Chia's usual treatment for enterovirus ME/CFS is oxymatrine, which is a supplement available online.
I’m afraid to attempt that, since most everything I’ve tried up to now has made me much worse. Though it seems many of you have treated yourselves with success. I wish I had a practitioner for direction but that probably isn’t going to happen.

Also awaiting several other tests, GI map, IBS smart, SIBO breath test. Not sure if any of that fits into entero.

Is entero virus and coxsackie the same thing?

Hip

Is entero virus and coxsackie the same thing?

Enterovirus is a category which covers a range of viruses, including coxsackievirus B1 to B6, and the echoviruses.

Similarly, herpesvirus is a category which covers Epstein-Barr virus, cytomegalovirus, HHV-6, herpes simplex, and others.

EddieB

Enterovirus is a category which covers a range of viruses, including coxsackievirus B1 to B6, and the echoviruses.

Similarly, herpesvirus is a category which covers Epstein-Barr virus, cytomegalovirus, HHV-6, herpes simplex, and others.
So although they didn’t specify what type, this is enough to try treating?
A4B81847-AAF0-45B5-9E11-043643EAF6B4.jpeg

Hip

So although they didn’t specify what type, this is enough to try treating?

Dr Chia's stomach biopsy is not able to determine the type of enterovirus you have (for that, you need the ARUP Lab coxsackievirus B and echovirus blood tests Dr Chia uses).

But if you have a chronic enterovirus infection in your stomach, it's quite likely to be either coxsackievirus B or echovirus, which Chia uses oxymatrine to treat. Success rate of oxymatrine is not high though. Also, Chia does not advise oxymatrine if you have autoimmune tendencies.

EddieB

which Chia uses oxymatrine to treat. Success rate of oxymatrine is not high though. Also, Chia does not advise oxymatrine if you have autoimmune tendencies.
Yes, the results from Equilbrant/ Oxymatrine seem mixed. I don’t have autoimmune, but seems risky.

I did have the ARUP tests last year, that were all negative.

I did try the Russian Rejuvenator briefly a while back, didn’t seem to hurt or help, I could resume. Any other suggestions? Thanks.