• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone here with EBV/CFS get covid?

hunter1899

Wondering if it was a sure bet that if you already have CFS from a virus that getting Covid would make your CFS worse permanently?

Wolfcub

I had Covid, and seemed to mount a very good natural immune response to it. I felt so much better generally for a few weeks afterwards.

However, I don't think I have ever had EBV.

The jury is out re: my own case at the moment. I was convinced a flu-type virus of some kind started my ME/CFS (initially tentatively diagnosed as possible post viral syndrome in summer 2018)
But.... with developments since, and with a lot of detailed hindsight, I am now unsure if I have ME/CFS or a peculiar, chronic, and very atypical form of migraine.

So, I now wonder if maybe there is nothing wrong with my immune system, but what I have is an odd form of a very common neurological condition? We live and learn

gbells

Improved ME from 2 to 6
I think ME patients may actually have some protection against the excess immune response that causes severe covid because alot of them have Epstein Barr virus infections which upregulates Nf-kb. Nf-kb upregulation decreases cytokine response so it should lower covid severity. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/17072327/

Last edited:

godlovesatrier

I was just about to add what @gbells said. I reckon if you have ebv your body will be more protected because the immune response will be better. I've yet to know for sure. But I can at least hope.

One thing I do know is that exertion of any sort in my case causes a drop immune function immediately (not 48 hours later). When that happens the Epstein barr virus I'm currently fighting off (post viral ebv now) starts to replicate with avengance. So I'm assuming in my case if I got covid and then exerted myself. Covid would just run rampant unchecked.

It's almost like an EMP is fired in my body with exertion and all my immune cells go to sleep. Until 48 hours later or 4 days later when they've woken back up again. Oddest thing as so many people on PR seem to have the opposite and never get sick.

hunter1899

I was just about to add what @gbells said. I reckon if you have ebv your body will be more protected because the immune response will be better. I've yet to know for sure. But I can at least hope.

One thing I do know is that exertion of any sort in my case causes a drop immune function immediately (not 48 hours later). When that happens the Epstein barr virus I'm currently fighting off (post viral ebv now) starts to replicate with avengance. So I'm assuming in my case if I got covid and then exerted myself. Covid would just run rampant unchecked.

It's almost like an EMP is fired in my body with exertion and all my immune cells go to sleep. Until 48 hours later or 4 days later when they've woken back up again. Oddest thing as so many people on PR seem to have the opposite and never get sick.

Are you taking antivirals? Would that help keep the EBV from replicating after exertion?

gbells

Improved ME from 2 to 6
I reckon if you have ebv your body will be more protected because the immune response will be better. I've yet to know for sure. But I can at least hope.

Better is only relative. For covid it should be protective but overall horrible because EBV's nagalase can prevent you from generating antibodies for EBV (not sure about covid and other viruses).

godlovesatrier

@hunter1899 I feel like I'm at an impass currently, immune system not been right for 12 months, no idea what happened. Don't know if 7 weeks of oxymatrine damaged something but somethings gone awry. Does valtrex work on acute ebv? Paranoid valtrex may damage mitochondria further - also the drug side effects were very full on from just 500mg, but I am happy to try half a tablet if all my other options (traditional and herbal) don't work. My throat has become very red in the last 24 hours, I am getting tests done tomorrow for mono and have requested strep. Thankfully there's no covid tests available nationally, so nobody can fob me off with covid diagnosis.

@Wendi C Yes been catching every little thing, which goes on for weeks since I got ME. I still believe this could be caused by ebv if it's constantly lowering immune strength, meaning the immune system has no hope of fighting anything else off properly including colds.

Would appreciate advise about the valtrex, just started a new job and enjoying it, would be pissed off if I had to leave it due to this.

@hunter1899 I feel like I'm at an impass currently, immune system not been right for 12 months, no idea what happened. Don't know if 7 weeks of oxymatrine damaged something but somethings gone awry. Does valtrex work on acute ebv? Paranoid valtrex may damage mitochondria further - also the drug side effects were very full on from just 500mg, but I am happy to try half a tablet if all my other options (traditional and herbal) don't work. My throat has become very red in the last 24 hours, I am getting tests done tomorrow for mono and have requested strep. Thankfully there's no covid tests available nationally, so nobody can fob me off with covid diagnosis.

@Wendi C Yes been catching every little thing, which goes on for weeks since I got ME. I still believe this could be caused by ebv if it's constantly lowering immune strength, meaning the immune system has no hope of fighting anything else off properly including colds.

Would appreciate advise about the valtrex, just started a new job and enjoying it, would be pissed off if I had to leave it due to this.
Wish I could help on the Valtrex my MD

Hip

I also heard from a reliable source that several ME/CFS patients who caught SARS-CoV-2 were actually completely cured of their ME/CFS after the acute infection was over.

So it appears that while coronavirus can sometimes cause long-haul COVID (which is probably the same as ME/CFS), coronavirus can also occasionally cure ME/CFS.

Presumably while the body is fiercely fighting off coronavirus, it may also clear the other underlying infections you have (eg enteroviruses or herpesviruses) which may be causing your ME/CFS.

I read this in a private Facebook group. The person who posted for some reason asked for the source not to be revealed, so I will comply with these wishes, and not name the source. However, I can say that the source was a competent and reliable medical professional known to the ME/CFS community.

This is not the first time I have heard reports of viral infections occasionally curing ME/CFS: it has been observed for example that influenzavirus infection can occasionally cure ME/CFS.

godlovesatrier

What do you react to @Wendi C I recently reacted to pen V and clindamycin (terrible drug rash). Still the valtrex as I may have said above was giving me headaches, nausea and making my head spin. Even so traditionals don't seem to touch it I know what you mean.

godlovesatrier

I wondered if that might happen when I had the ebv but I don't think ebv qualifies as the fever is a tad pathetic @Hip . That's really interesting though and intersting to know this is still happening in the community. I wonder how long they were sick for (with ME).

I had the worst case of flu end of January 2020. It was slightly less severe as the one that caused my ME/CFS in 1991. Covid wasn't a 'thing' here and I knew it was the flu because it was downright nasty; however, then in March we traveled to the next state over where a child had just died from H1N1. So this was going around at the same time but friends and family are convinced I had Covid. A May antibody test proved negative. Who really knows. I can say with all certainty that it made me no worse or better. I am one that catches everything that is airborne. Any little cold really takes me down.

What do you react to @Wendi C I recently reacted to pen V and clindamycin (terrible drug rash). Still the valtrex as I may have said above was giving me headaches, nausea and making my head spin. Even so traditionals don't seem to touch it I.

My herx reactions are quite intense and hard to handle. Unfortunately, with a kiddo it's kind of impossible to drop out and do "self-care" when that happens. I'm sure it's because my liver is overburdened. When I first saw this functional MD we started with clearing out candida which, for weeks, was like having a TERRIBLE hangover. I literally had to have my doc write me a note for work because I missed so much. And then I tried a Byron White EBV formula. Geez.. I think just breathing it in caused reactions! It was pretty intense! He even released some emotional stuck trauma somewhere with injecting homeopathics down my meridian lines. Holy moly! That was short-lived but intense also. So he always goes LOW and SLOW for me. Right now we're trying Cistus (herbals).. Really nothing there. I do take Acyclovir time to time when I feel run down, but so far the only game-changers for me have been Epitalon (peptide), the initial Candida cleanse, and LDN.